1 ... 567891011 ... 28
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Traffic wasn't too bad, but there was a line at the quad.  Snow was soft an nice. Huge improvement over Monday.

Funny thing... went into Sarah's for lunch, Sarah asked me how the skiing was.

I said good!  She said I was the first one to say that.  

Brought to mind this:

http://nyskiblog.com/harveys-disclaimer/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
Harvey wrote
Disclaimer well said as one's "mileage" varies.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Funny thing... went into Sarah's for lunch, Sarah asked me how the skiing was.

I said good!  She said I was the first one to say that.  
For a family that booked a multi day ski vacation 3-4 months ago I would think the whole situation is very disappointing. A lot of anticipation and high expectations. Maybe that is what she is hearing. Like you, I knew what I was getting into when I drove up last week and was pleasantly surprised with the conditions. My expectations were very low but they were exceeded!

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
Not great!  Really only two runs, with some side runs off of them, Showcase and Sunway.  We thought Sunway skied better, but at the ends of both runs, lots of bare areas, brown snow and some rocks showing through and I'll be needing some P-tex!   Someone who has been skiing a few days told me he thought it was worse yesterday.  Thank God they replaced the AE last year.  Can't imagine what this would be like without it, though I'm sure they would have blown Foxlair instead of Showcase if they had to use the gondola.  Thankfully, people have gotten the message that it is far from great, as only the A and B lots were full.  It was lightly misting while we were there with temps in the mid 30s.  They were still trying to blow snow and it looked like they were headed up to blow more snow up top, so hopefully they will be opening the gondola soon.  What I really appreciate about Gore is all the mountains and how they spread people out and not having that made me realized how much I missed it.  They were doing some kind of a shred fest in the terrain park and that made for a very unsafe situation IMHO with the snowfence full of gapers and the rest of us trying to get by.  Hopefully, no one crashed in to any of the spectators.  Pray for snow and if not that, at least colder temps, so they can blow more of the fake stuff!  
Reply | Threaded
|

lemmycaution
yes, 2 runs lower mtn only. they were making some noise about opening up more terrain but i would guess its unlikely for the next couple of days at least. getting bumped out by the afternoon, but at least its soft and creamy. supposed to get steadily colder over the next few days.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Given Gore's layout why do they start from the bottom?

Wouldn't it make more sense to up load the Gondi and have a run down to the summit chair then use the elevation?  It's low and flat where they are attempting to be open
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
They can't download the AE2 as it doesn't have full downloading capacity and has no downloading ramp.  If they could use it for downloading, they'd have skiing off the North Quad.  Most gondolas have 100% downhill capacity, so that would be the easiest lift to use.  However, Topridge is the only lift one could easily ski off of with downloading, and it faces south, which is not good early season.  If Gore were to use Straightbrook for skiing, they'd need Pine Knot to be open to access it, and Tannery and the Topridge lift open to get back.  That would not work very well.

Whiteface is in a much better setup as they could focus on opening the LWF chair which is at elevation with gondola downloading directly from the top.  Even the Summit chair could run early season, but you'd have to take LWF to access the gondola for downloading.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Given Gore's layout why do they start from the bottom?

Wouldn't it make more sense to up load the Gondi and have a run down to the summit chair then use the elevation?  It's low and flat where they are attempting to be open
You need to have showcase and Sunway open anyway; maybe with the weather having everyone on the hi speed quad seemed to give them a more concentrated area to maintain in skiable condition?

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

northerncajun
In reply to this post by gebbyfish
Very accurate Gebby much better today but it was unsafe at The event too tight!!

Also this is the first time I thought Gore was small usually can get lost with no one around!!

It was still skiing and my girls had a blast.

The 12 year snowboarder made me work today she is getting strong! Love watching the girls improve.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I agree with this. The idea is to make snow at higher elevation where it's more likely to stay cold and not melt. The gondola can be used to get people up there and then to download as well so you don't even need to open the lower mountain. Gores layout seems perfect for this. Incidentally isn't this pretty much what Killington does early season? Seems like it works pretty  good for them. The disadvantage is that it would take more lifties. Live and learn I guess. Hopefully they're taking notes and will remember
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Well, you have to look at what trails you want to open up there. Topridge faces south, so that's out (they did this for a few years, and the exposure negated the elevation advantage). Uncas has similar exposure. Are you going to try to open Pine Knot to Tannery first? That trail sucks.

Gotta get Sunway or Showcase open, preferably both, then go from there (with either Foxlair or Ruby to get the Gondola online).
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I agree that it's probably the best choice.  If you blow Pine Knot and then Headwaters, Chatiemac or Hawkeye and Tannery you've probably blown as much as the current terrain (granted higher elev), but you're only serving a experts at Christmas, with one trail.

Adding Foxlair will bring in the Gondola (Friday?). Should be snoloco's dream, tons of uphill capacity relative to the amount of terrain. Wild Air and Lower Sleighride should be "easy" to add (they are shorter) and should help congestion a little.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I was about to say that one lift into January is a bad idea, but so is 2 high speed lifts feeding only two trails.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by Harvey
Conditions better than I expected given last night's rain on the drive up.  They need to blow snow on Showcase.  Sunway and Quicksilver not bad.  Guns going on Foxlair.  Gondola should be open tomorrow.  Crowds not bad today, no real wait at the quad.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Wow today was fun. I'm not saying conditions were great, but they were.  Basically the bottom half of Showcase was chocolately goodness.  Top of Showcase and Sunway were so so, I lapped Showcase.  Nice to rip with Telerider and his crew.

Gondi goes Saturday, not tomorrow.

Rumors of the Double's demise are premature.
Reply | Threaded
|

2000yearoldskier
I've got dozens of names for snow conditions, most involve food,but I can't imagine how "chocolately goodness" skis.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Gore getting better every day.  Great skiing today with DP, Abe Lincoln, Petronio and Eliza.

Shout out to northerncajun!

Neve patiently waits as Lincoln struggles to keep up

EDIT: Snowing nicely at 6PM.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
Harv, nice to meet you and Neve!  Glad we ran into you.

Conditions today better than yesterday.  Snow flurries helped refresh the trails (albeit not much).  Crowds at the quad eased around lunchtime.  Showcase skied better in the afternoon-- really getting bumped up on lower half.  Quicksilver is a mess.

Guns blasting on Foxlair and Wild Air.  I heard a rumor about them opening Topridge tomorrow.

Petronio

EDIT:  I just checked Gore's website and they don't even list the Gondi as running tomorrow, so I would not put much credence into that rumor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Nice to me you and yours too.  :)

Yea no Topridge tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Two or three inches since Gore's close yesterday, most of it coming in an intense blast from a lake effect band early last evening. One thing about no summit terrain, I bet it was more up top.

Still should be a good day, maybe gitsum.  I think I'm hitting our woods. Should be quiet now.
1 ... 567891011 ... 28