So I've not had a chance to fully digest this document, its quite voluminous. Harvey (or anyone else) if you can help shed some light it might help.
What you've posted is "2017 New Managment Actions".
What frightens me, scares the shit out of me actually, is the "Previously Approved Actions, Not Yet Constructed" plans. Does anyone know if there is a long range strategy to implement this plan?
- Barkeater gets clear cut with a new trail that splinters off it through Boreas, also clear cut (note I say clear cut the document says it becomes a "Trail", so not sure how to achieve that without clear cutting, more or less).
- Cirque gets clear cut.
- Tahawus Glade gets clear cut
- Tahawus and Sleeping Bear are widened and no longer trails, more like slopes.
- High Pines Glade, clear cut into Topridge at the lift crossing.
- Twister Glade gets clear cut.
- Quicksilver gets straightened out.
- Ski Bowl Glade gets cut and turned into a trail, along with Hudson.
- Looks like new wide slope cut in, between Moxam and 46er, appears that JJ's Glade gets nuked.
And a whole lot more.
SO....I'm hoping that my cursory review of this is just a load of nonsense and I've just not read the documentation correctly.
BUT....I really want to know, who the brilliant minds thinking this stuff up?? I mean why would, in your wildest dreams ever, ever, ever even consider turning Barkeater into a trail? Or for that matter any of the stuff I've outlined above???
Please don't consider me an alarmist, or a kook, I just want to be educated.
Oh and yes, they are showing some wood thrashing to connect Upper and Lower Steilhang
I have been tracking this since the proposal came out, wrote several letters to the DEC. This is a railroad job. They are going to destroy some great back country skiing as well as the glades mentioned. All I can hope is that it takes them beyond my remaining life to execute.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.