classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
359 messages Options
1 ... 1415161718
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

PeeTex
Once you cross the Hudson there is a Stewart’s at the next exit about a 1/2 mile west towards West Mountain on Corinth Road. I like their breakfast burritos and a coffee as a grab & go although it can be any Stewart’s as they are all the same. I only used the one at exit 18 when I was going to West when my granddaughter was racing there.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gore was deluxe today. A few inches overnight and steady snow for much of the day.

Soule

After yesterday at McCauley, bell-to-bell, I was too tired to drive to Snow Ridge or Whiteface.  I knew Jeff Soule and Becca were going to be at Gore so I suggested meeting up.

Turns out Jeff had to work the Telemarkdown thing, and he put Becca in my hands.  Right or wrong I took her almost everywhere.  By the end of the day she was rockin Mineshaft and more.

Our first two runs were Barkeater and Tahawas, they were excellent.  The new snow was deluxe.

Darkside

Straightbrook

Barkeater
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Once you cross the Hudson there is a Stewart’s at the next exit about a 1/2 mile west towards West Mountain on Corinth Road. I like their breakfast burritos ...
The best fast breakfast is the Saratoga Hospital cafeteria. You can get eggs and bacon and potatoes and sausages and corned beef hash and you don’t need to take the eggs.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

LearnedatSong
Thanks for the recommendations.  Grabbed a sausage, egg and cheese sando from the Full Belly Deli in Wevertown for $4 right out of the warmer.  Still was warm as I pulled into the Gore parking lot.

Unfortunately, all of the glades at Burnt Ridge except Tahawus were tracked out by you fellas Saturday so they didn't open up.  Really enjoyed Tahawus, Ski Bowl, MacIntyre, Darby Woods and Kill Kare Glades on a gorgeous Bluebird day with beautiful views of the ADKs. No wait lines at any of the non-base area lifts too :)
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
My wife reported heavy rain in Johnsburg last night.  Said everything softened up, a lot of slush.  She said it was pucking snow for just under an hour earlier this morning.

I just checked the base cam and I see standing water in the tree well over by the AEII.  Looked slushy in front of the Gondi loading area also.

Did anyone ski today?  I suspect there will be a contraction of open terrain this weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I watched the radar last night and it was pretty intense. I had some hope as there were a few spots of blue right around Gore, but no reports of new anything at the top.

I also saw the hour or two or snow, looked good, but didn't seem to add up, at the base.
Reply | Threaded
|

Huezee
Firm and fast today under bluebird skies.  Mostly hard pack or loose granular.  Definitely getting a little thin in some places.  Bottom of twister/showcase was getting a little warm when I left around 12:30.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Today was one of the best ski day's I've had this year.  Everything was working perfectly.  Bluebird sky, amazing snow, soft yet still fast and just spot on.

We just lapped Sagamore over and over again, figured we better get it while we can.  Signs of Spring are everywhere.

Lunch today was on the Table Rock at the entrance to the Ski Bowl Glade.  We knocked down a few beers each, basked in the sun and just listened to the sound of the chairs going by.

Lunch in the Ski Bowl
Karen and I at Table Rock, North Creek Ski Bowl

It was a bitter sweet day, as great as the skiing was, we sadly learned that today was closing day at the Ski Bowl.  We were the last ones off the lift, our final run was down Moxam.  The headwall was getting really skinny, as was Peaceful Valley downhill from the interconnect bridge.

Thanks to Don, Paul and Pete!  They did a great job with the Hudson Chair this season.  We're going to miss them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
MikePom wrote
Today was one of the best ski day's I've had this year.  Everything was working perfectly.  Bluebird sky, amazing snow, soft yet still fast and just spot on.
Yeah, today was our first day back in 2 years and we certainly picked a winner. Lies was awesome, as was rest of upper mountain.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Good day!

Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Another amazing day of skiing at Gore.  We started on the AEII, Wood In to High Peaks.  My overstuffed pack got hung up in the chair and I ended up tripping the chair, first time I ever did that...must have been some warm weather karma.

We took Open Pit to Straightbrook, then Chati, Hawkeye, Rumor, Lies, and then over to Top Ridge and just started lapping Uncas and Top Ridge.

Everything was skiing so good.  Especially the upper mountain.  Some skinny stuff is showing but so far everything is still solid.

Foxlair, Sunway and Quick Silver to the Arena on the way out and beers on the deck to end it all.

The Arena
The Arena
Reply | Threaded
|

green light
Lesson learned? Take your backpack off before loading lift.
its a beautiful thing
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Ehhhh.....maybe....probably better off not jamming a 6 pack into it and overstuffing it!...Spring fever.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by MikePom
It's going fast. Get out and enjoy it!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sadly for weekend warriors this weekend looks crunchy!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Heading to Gore Thursday to watch a Fis super G double header
Will be back on Sunday for a GS
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
Nice day at Gore.  I was expecting frozen conditions, but even early in the morning it was soft spring skiing.  It only got better as the day progressed and the sun came out.  

My only complaint is that they didn't open Rumor, it had to be skiable by the afternoon.

There's not much snow left up there so get it while you can.  If this pattern continues I wouldn't be surprised if they were done soon.

On another note the "Density Control Measures" of putting plastic on half the tables just forced people to conglomerate on the tables that were open, thus having the opposite effect of what was intended.  Luckily it was really nice out by lunch so everyone ate outside anyway.

The Lifties weren't enforcing the whole density reduction thing, that being said other than the AE quad there weren't any lines anyway, and people seemed to be "social distancing" themselves.  That or nobody just wanted to ride the lift with me

Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
We were hog tied by yet another power outage in Johnsburg, a result of last nights heavy winds and residual carnage from the last ice storm.

Tomorrow we are on mountain, everyone is pumped and looking forward to harvesting some corn.

Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss

I'm that guy ^.  If you see me come say hi.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
In reply to this post by MikePom
Chicken Little The Sky is Falling...Definitely weird today and i didn't want to stick around until it softened but
I think I will be back tomorrow.  Snow up high looks really good...down low not so much.  If it softens the dark side has lots of snow.  I wanted to check in to KHS but nothing was open when I was there.  My favorite today was Sleeping Bear
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
1 ... 1415161718