359 messages Options
12345678 ... 18
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gore Conditions

NYSnowflake
Sunday 12-8-19
Surprisingly pleasant skiing today. The blues and greens were all gorgeous packed powder that softened up throughout the day. Minimal ice on blue and green runs. The only diamond I skied was topridge and that was very icy/ boilerplate on the pitches by the afternoon. As soon as the pitch eased up the snow was nice.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
NYSnowflake wrote
Surprisingly pleasant skiing today. The blues and greens were all gorgeous packed powder that softened up throughout the day. Minimal ice on blue and green runs. The only diamond I skied was topridge and that was very icy/ boilerplate on the pitches by the afternoon. As soon as the pitch eased up the snow was nice.
Saw in the Ski Day Tracking thread this was your first time at Gore.  Looks like you've skied in VT.  What inspired you to try Gore?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
I ski with the OC Ski Club and they had a bus trip today, with lessons, and my friends were going. Also I had a WM pass to use! I have also always wanted to ski there (since I started skiing last year!) but  it just never worked out last year. Early last season when I was just starting on green runs Gore really didn’t have any green terrain open.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I was at Gore Sunday as well, I though it skied pretty well. Uncas was fun - bumped up, hard but very edgeable. The wind was blowing snow in the troughs so it was a little variable. Topridge was firm but plenty of places to plant an edge. Didn't stay too long as my legs tired pretty quickly.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Gore skied very well today, Good coverage on all open trails, I'm not sure if Hawkeye ever opened - I was there around 12 and it was still closed although the lift was spinning. Light snow and sleet until 2:30 when I left.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Hawkeye had lift rope drop around 12:30 or so.
Top of it was iceroy for a bit but 2/3 of the way down got very nice.
Skied about everything open and left after 4.
Visibility was challenging due to low light and weather. It snowed most of the time we were there but not much and later turned to goggle sticky stuff.
First run for us wasn't till 10.
Wild Air was nice.
Fun day at Gore.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
tirolski wrote
iceroy
I love it when a great new word is added. It's like "The King of Ice."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
You missed a great day today. Yes, it was a bit moist early, but not too bad and then the weather "cleared" to a very slight mist for most of the day. The snow was amazing and there was nobody there. The mountain held up quite well, but it did start raining harder after 4:30 for a bit. There should be plenty of coverage tomorrow, but if it freezes hard overnight it's hard to predict conditions.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
Thanks for the update Tom,

Any natural snowfall left in the trees or all just man made at this point?
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
There wasn't much natural left, but some. Of course it did rain after the lifts closed so it will be worse than the last I saw.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Just got back from a morning at Gore. Limited terrain but skied great. The must have upped their game on snowmaking. After a rain/melt as we had I would have expected snow on top of unedgeable but what was below was very edge able. Made for a nice morning. Hawkeye skied we’ll along with all the others. They are pounding lies so I would think that will be soon.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

xWeatherMan
Gore skied well today sun and little wind made it feel comfortable. Everything that was open had good cover, a few places that were wind blown were a little slick but otherwise snow was good, especially liked Topridge and Uncas which were in the sun all day. Now for the strange stuff, I did not see or hear one snow gun going anywhere today. Pine knot which was listed as open but was not, looked like the sent a grommer down it once, I see it is not listed as open tomorrow. Also Lies had giant whales on it but did not look like they finished making snow on it.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
I saw snow guns on echo after lunch yesterday and also saw what looked like a snowmaking crew heading down Tahawas sometime in the afternoon. Of course the black jackets on snowmobiles could have been lift maintenance so won't be sure until today.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
Yeah tons of snow on Lies but not listed as open today either.  Figured they would groom it for the weekend but I guess not 😣
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Lies looked like a lot of snow but maybe if you ducked the rope and looked at the first pitch it was pretty bare and unskiable on Friday. If anyone did that.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

GoreMountainLodge

Gore skiing great today.   Lies just wonderful.   Lifts opened early!
Mark Parobeck, principal
GoreMountainLodge.com
Reply | Threaded
|

MikePom
Today looks like it’s going to be a winner.....someone’s going to get some great turns in.

Looking forward to a report from the mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Gore was good today. They had blueberry muffins in the cafeteria, and clam chowder at the saddle lodge.  Uncas was good, as was Lies. Lies probably got better as it softened up.  Upper Steilhang was interesting with thin cover. They opened the liftline under Straightbrook below Hawkeye, but it was too thin for me.
Topridge was the pick of the day as it softened up around 1130. We left at about 1 pm after patrol Topridge. Probably for wind. I don't know if it reopened.
Best day at Gore so far this tear, plus a new bartender at Gigi's.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
I forgot to mention that a couple of patrollers were brushing out under the top ridge chair. I was pleased to see that.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
That's fantastic to hear!  Looked like it hasn't been done in years.
12345678 ... 18