Administrator
Txt from ms update coming tomorrow.  He seems pumped
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

Rj1972
Looking forward to the news.  Thanks for hopping on this.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
a summit lodge
On a 800ft mtn?
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
It' nice to just ski up to a lodge for a quick drink or bite to eat rather than having to walk over the bridge and hope that my skis will be there when I return. The A-Frame works well, but is rarely open, and needs a major overhaul. The summit lodge at Camelback is what I had in mind.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote

I just hope that the owners are as focused on bringing the mountain up to date as they are with their housing needs.  
I'd say this statement is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY off base, imo. For whatever reason, it seems you enjoy needling the guys who SAVED our beloved.  not cool
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
This post was updated on .
Yeah, that was a bit harsh on my part.  Still not pleased with how they handled Cascade Club members, nor what they seem to be doing with staffing. I'll get over it one of these days.

In terms of Marc and John saving GP, there were a number of other interested parties, many of which had much deeper pockets, so if Marc and John weren't in the picture, another entity would be. Plus, Schumer was not going to let GP close.

Regardless, I'll try to behave.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm with camp, I think the guys deserve credit and slack. Curious about how they chose between Marc/Jon and the other offers... I assume their offer was the highest?

Just got a monster dump of info on the original question, not sure I understand all I am seeing, going to take some time.

Not all this stuff is sexy but it probably all needs to be done. Also don't know how much was already announced or discussed.

Running like crazy at work but will do my best to review and get something up in the next day or two.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Point well taken, Harvey and Camp.

Not to rehash old news, but the Kryger's actually offered to pay nearly three times what John and Marc offered, but the FDIC and bankruptcy court wanted no part of the Kryger's.  The plus is that this freed capital for John and Marc to invest in the resort, as their debt load is negligible.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I'm with camp, I think the guys deserve credit and slack. Curious about how they chose between Marc/Jon and the other offers... I assume their offer was the highest?

Just got a monster dump of info on the original question, not sure I understand all I am seeing, going to take some time.

Not all this stuff is sexy but it probably all needs to be done. Also don't know how much was already announced or discussed.

Running like crazy at work but will do my best to review and get something up in the next day or two.

GP has been neglected, run into the ground, abused, for so many years  I'd be shocked if it were all sexy. The one thing that remains is, GP is, and always will be the best skiing in CNY!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Rj1972 wrote
It' nice to just ski up to a lodge for a quick drink or bite to eat rather than having to walk over the bridge and hope that my skis will be there when I return. The A-Frame works well, but is rarely open, and needs a major overhaul. The summit lodge at Camelback is what I had in mind.
Maybe they'll put in a small Gondi over the crick  and add a valet to take care of your skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Camp, I couldn't agree more with you.  The place offers the best skiing around, but lacks so much in terms of general maintenance.  They definitely need to work on the shabbiness factor. This may be partially why potential investors did not come out in hoards. We estimated $20-30M just to bring the place up to snuff, with no major expansion.  Plus, the demographics presented a big question mark.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Harvey posts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Skimore, HaHa!

That's why I enjoy Deer Valley and Beaver Creek.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Here's what I got:

http://nyskiblog.com/greek-peak-improvements-2014/

Show some comment love, so ms realizes peeps are watchin.  (Thanks camp!)

Also that last sentence... had to add that in last minute and whack a paragraph ... "oh wait... we can't say that stuff yet."

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
Show some comment love, so ms realizes peeps are watchin.  (Thanks camp!)
Damn spiffy ---- anyone hatin on MY GP is gonna get smushed like a bug

Harvey wrote

Also that last sentence... had to add that in last minute and whack a paragraph ... "oh wait... we can't say that stuff yet."

exciting ------ i'm hoping for the deck  
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Great job putting together the update, Harvey, in such a short period of time.

I was pleased to read about the continual snow making improvements, as well as the other General Maintenance enhancements.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks. The piece was only 300 words, but ms is a busy guy and sent me a ton of info to digest on my own.  One thing I think he and I have in common... we'd rather do the skiing thing full time!

Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
For those interested in lift serviced mountain biking, I just received word that a "test Bracket" was ordered for 1A and they will be testing it later this summer. If all goes well, we may be mountain biking next summer.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote
For those interested in lift serviced mountain biking, I just received word that a "test Bracket" was ordered for 1A and they will be testing it later this summer. If all goes well, we may be mountain biking next summer.
GREAT news!!!

My only issue is that the "test bracket" sure is gonna be tough to load on 1A in the scrap pile

1A be damned     I'm so glad that lift blew up
Reply | Threaded
|

where's the snow
Peak fest was a blast!  Nice weather, great music even the beer was reasonably-priced.  Would have liked to have seen a better turn out.
1 ... 56789101112