222 messages Options
1 ... 6789101112
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
where's the snow wrote
Peak fest was a blast!  Nice weather, great music even the beer was reasonably-priced.  Would have liked to have seen a better turn out.
I heard the same thing. One of our crew was there and had a BLAST!!! I couldn't make it, was too busy working on my new camp........was cool hearing Pure Prairie League blasting in the distance tho. I REALLY hope they continue with these types of venues. The timing of Peak Fest was the same weekend as Grass Roots in Ithaca. I've never been to GR, but my understanding is that prolly took away a hundred or so peeps that would've attended PF......anyway, nice job GP and rock on

p.s. I drove by and the stage looked wicked!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
This post was updated on .
Found an old Greek Peak - ski brochure from 1985. Here is an aerial photo of Greek Peak East:

Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
This post was updated on .
I spent a few days at GP and just wanted to mention that the cable has been removed from Chair 3. I didn't notice any additional work occurring on the mountain.

Trax was hopping Friday evening, and the parking lot at HLL was quite full, which was nice to see.

The Acorn Grill was a ghost town the following evening, and we noticed several families carrying grocery bags into the Lodge. I suppose it may be some of the bargain seeking Groupon guests not comfortable with the price points at the Acorn.

Overall, it was great to see the buzz of activity around the resort. People were even taking advantage of the chairlift rides on the high speed express quad.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjbrady
I'm actually at the mountain now. First time in 20 years...quite nostalgic..more on that later. It looks like there is a lot of maintenance work going on right now. My wife and I hiked up some of the hill. Brought back some great memories. I am really excited to see what is going on. I can't wait to bring my kids up here this winter to have them learn how to ski. Living in NC, winter sports aren't too big down there. It would be really nice if they were able to expand GP East. Some of the chairlifts could really use some work/updating. It's funny seeing the new quad next to lift 1. My wife (non-skier) said "people actually ride on that".

Hope Lake Lodge is beautiful. My family purchased a whole ownership of a room and we have been really pleased with the rental income so far. (We bought in late March after the peak ski season) The facilities are amazing. The water park is really cool. Hopefully GP is going to continue with the improvements...there is so much potential here!
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Welcome back to GP and welcome to the HLL community, we'll have to get together for some runs and beers, exciting stuff going on for sure!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by jjbrady
jjbrady wrote
My family purchased a whole ownership of a room and we have been really pleased with the rental income so far. (We bought in late March after the peak ski season) The facilities are amazing. The water park is really cool. Hopefully GP is going to continue with the improvements...there is so much potential here!
jj apologies but I am clueless... what is "whole ownership of a room?"

I dig your psych!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

jjbrady
Sorry...when they advertised the selling of the condos late winter this year I got my whole fam together and invested in the property. Instead of purchasing a 1/4 share (I.e. One week a month) my family went in together and purchased every week, therefore owning the property year-round. That way we split the profits of the entire year rather than having to worry who is going to get Christmas or Presidents weekend. We also got a nice discount by purchasing all 4 quarters. My wife and I are having a great get away here and can't wait to come back this winter so 4/5ths of my family can learn to ski!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
No need to apologize, I'm the one who didn't get it.  I think it's awesome that you made it happen.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

jjbrady
No worries Harvey...really excited about this place.
Reply | Threaded
|

GPPartner
Welcome to the "New Greek Peak" and thank you for believing in us.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by jjbrady
jjbrady wrote
I'm actually at the mountain now. First time in 20 years...quite nostalgic..more on that later. It looks like there is a lot of maintenance work going on right now. My wife and I hiked up some of the hill. Brought back some great memories. I am really excited to see what is going on. I can't wait to bring my kids up here this winter to have them learn how to ski. Living in NC, winter sports aren't too big down there. It would be really nice if they were able to expand GP East. Some of the chairlifts could really use some work/updating. It's funny seeing the new quad next to lift 1. My wife (non-skier) said "people actually ride on that".

Hope Lake Lodge is beautiful. My family purchased a whole ownership of a room and we have been really pleased with the rental income so far. (We bought in late March after the peak ski season) The facilities are amazing. The water park is really cool. Hopefully GP is going to continue with the improvements...there is so much potential here!

Welcome back to the best CNY has to offer  ...... you picked a great time for your return, BIG things happening at the New Greek Peak ...... see you on the hill or in the bar ..... The Peak is gonna rock it hard this year  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yo GPPARTNER ----- I dig it
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
JJ, great idea to purchase the full share. Your timing was perfect, as the owners wanted to liquidate the shares at a fraction of the initial offering price.

If I might be so nosey, is the rental income being generated on your unit covering the association/maintenance fees?  When the prices fell in the spring, I had thought of purchasing shares, as well, but already own more than enough real estate in the area to not warrant taking the risk.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjbrady
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Thanks for the responses...really excited for what is to come. HLL is beautiful, the water park is rockin. If they can continue to update the mountain, it will be awesome. If they keep updating snowmaking, lifts and terrain it will be the only place to go in CNY. Being an Elmira native and not seeing the mountain for almost 20 years, it was a really great trip to see the Peak!
Reply | Threaded
|

jjbrady
RJ, it is. We were pleasantly surprised because we figured that there might be some months that we would owe but we haven't owed yet. I think they are doing a good job hosting conferences, having activities at the mountain and advertising the water park to keep the room rented a good portion of the time. I am really excited to see what the winter holds...we really were doing it as an investment but after going there, it is definitely a place I will take my family for years to come. If we make a few bucks, great, but we were really impressed with the facility.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
That's great news.  

They definitely did a beautiful job with the Lodge.

I appreciate the information.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjbrady
Camp- definitely looking forward to winter. We will have to meet up at Trax for a beer or three!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
jjbrady wrote
Camp- definitely looking forward to winter. We will have to meet up at Trax for a beer or three!

I like the way you think!!!!

I'll most likely be there tomorrow, iffin you're still at  HLL
Reply | Threaded
|

jjbrady
RJ...you were right about the timing. Just got my July occupancy statement and let's say we were pleasantly surprised. The new owners are definitely doing something right. The water park is obviously a major draw in the summer and  with some improved facilities and maintenance, the mountain should be great this winter.

Camp...sorry I missed you. Will be up in NY in the winter. We'll definitely meet up then.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I'm glad the purchase has worked well for you so far.

Other than to make a quick buck, I'm not sure why the owners sold so many shares at such a deep discount. You truly lucked out. Sales have been halted, so I'm not sure if inventory has been depleted, or if they are holding shares back.  Hopefully, the owners will begin some significant investment in the mountain over the next few years, which can only help the Lodge.

Do you by any chance get a breakdown in terms of what percentage of sales are attributable to Groupon and what percentage to the sales and marketing department? They have been relying very heavily on Groupon in the past, which is not sustainable, as Groupon does not generate loyalty.

The Lodge is truly a gem.  They Kryger's did a great job on the project.
1 ... 6789101112