classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
637 messages Options
1 ... 45678910 ... 32
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
But you act like these are new issues at GP when in fact they've been going on for years. So what's the big deal now? Or is it the resort fee is gone and this is your new bitch.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Ace
I have no idea what the hell you are trying to say. That's the issue.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
But you act like these are new issues at GP when in fact they've been going on for years. So what's the big deal now? Or is it the resort fee is gone and this is your new bitch.
Sorry for being unclear. Trying to multi-task, and it didn't work.

My point is that their price points are all over the place, and I can nearly guarantee you that the marketing department did not complete a market study to determine adequate price points for their new season pass and lift ticket products. I think these are great new products, and create a nice mix for the consumer, but not if priced competitively.

Price points are certainly not a new issue, but what is relatively new, are the owners who have the ability to implement change.

My other point is that they need to attract and hire some quality key personnel. Wes is only as good as the people he surrounds himself with.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I skied on Saturday, and yes, it did suck mightily.  I ended up on the bunny slope after a second craptastic run down Karyatis.  I just figure that it's early in the season and things will be dicey.  There have been multiple early season days that suck. It forces me to do some adulting that I would otherwise quite happily blow off.

I haven't skied Song in years.  I was unimpressed then and haven't bothered to go back.  

I will miss Wes' cheery voice on the hotline first thing in the morning.  :(  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Rj1972
We have the same people doing the same thing's and you expect different results? You do know the definition of insanity, right?  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by wonderpony
LOL -- i like your style wonerpony --- adulting sucks
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
What the successful mountains do is make snow.  First it was Hunter,then K, then Sunday River and now Mount Snow.   Its not rocket science boys.  If you want customers you need to blow snow better than most.  

RJ you sound like a real cry baby who got ass hurt by the current owners because of reasons I don't know.  

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
That's exactly what it is about, all about the POW. We will get there. They've made huge improvements this year in their firepower and if they continue to do the same thing each year, eventually, the place will be a POW cloud.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
What the successful mountains do is make snow.  
That is so very true, and the GP owners have been making annual incremental investments in snow making. Customers also want infrastructure and amenity upgrades to accompany the snow-making. GP began working on this, as well in terms of the F&B upgrades and Hope Lake Lodge. The folks still aren't willing to drive past the Pocono's; however, because the ski product just has not caught up with the rest of the resort, or the aforementioned resorts much closer to home.

In GP's heyday back in the 70's and 80's, they were state-of-the art. They had a top ski school and facilities to match. Folks were willing to blow by the Pocono's to have a larger mountain and good facilities, but then things changed. The Pocono's caught up, and there was no longer a need for customers to make the extra drive.

I enjoy GP because of the lack of crowds. Of course, the lack of crowds isn't exactly good for business. I spend the majority of the early and late winter at Killington, mid-winter at GP, and a few jaunts out west. However, there's nothing better than being able to ski right on to the lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote
  but then things changed.  
There lies the rub --- Greek was stuck in the 70's for 30 years and didn't change. Was neglected and run right into the ground. For god's sake you could buy a condo for 10K, that's no shit, it really happened. Then a miracle happened  ---- 55 million dollars dropped out of the sky from a bank in Tennessee (because nobody local would touch it as it was set up to fail from the get go) and a beautiful hotel was built. The one that finally sank them, again.

Now that we've come full circle today I'm ready for some POW!! Excited to have my first beer of the year at Trax  
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Here's the thing that has run through my mind since the sale of the resort. Even if one invested in a state-of-the art snow making operation, high speed lifts, upgraded facilities, terrain expansion, and a heavy marketing campaign, would it be enough to bring the traffic past the Pocono's once again. Quite honestly, I'm not sure that it would. It is so difficult to acquire new customers.

Take a look at a ski area like Snowbasin Utah with two gondolas, a tram, high speed lifts, and amazing facilities. Yet, they still don't pull in the customers who are unwilling to drive by Park City and Little/Big Cottonwood Canyons.

Camp, don't get me started on HLL again. You know how our conversations usually end up.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
LOL, yes we will forever disagree on that one. I still can't believe you really thought it would work ---- $55 million hotel in Virgil ain't gonna float ---- the sooner they punt that thing the sooner our skiing will get better.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
haha it was punted camp! were just  pinned inside the 5 with a perpetual 3rd & long!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I promise not to begin the debate, again, Camp, but just needed to say one thing. HLL contains fractional ownership units, and people bought them prior to, and after the bankruptcy. If you recall, shortly after the sale of the resort, the new owners had a fire sale on many of the units in order to raise a quick buck. Some people love time shares even though the only winners in that game are the developers selling them.

OK, enough of that...

Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I have ridden up on the lifts multiple times with people from four hours or so away. A couple of times, I rode up with a father and son from Philly who purchased a house close to GP because they enjoyed the skiing and it was a nice family vacation. (It could have been more than one father/son combo on the lift. Dunno.)  Anyhow, people are traveling to GP. 😁

Meanwhile, I am so looking forward to this weekend!!! My skis are happily soaking up their hot wax spa treatment and my vacation starts at 4:31 pm on Friday. I intend to hit my break even point on my pass before I return to work on January 2.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Who are you trying to kid? They couldn't even pay the taxes on the place.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
Who are you trying to kid? They couldn't even pay the taxes on the place.
They were told by Schumer and the FDIC NOT to pay the taxes. They were current on all bills up until the time they filed for bankruptcy. The media failed to mention that. They just couldn't come up with the $50M when the FDIC demanded immediate payment after seizing Tennessee Financial. They had $30M available, but the FDIC would not accept it. With the tightening of bank loans after the financial crisis, banks were scared to death to loan money. If you recall, Greek Peak wrote their loan right before the banking crisis.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
That's great ---- what about the 10 years prior to even building HLL
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote
  They were current on all bills up until the time they filed for bankruptcy.  
LMFAO!!!!!!!
1 ... 45678910 ... 32