classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
637 messages Options
1 ... 567891011 ... 32
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

tjf1967
If they forgo the new lifts, new cafeteria and put all that money into snowmaking. So literally they could turn a switch and light the entire mountain up covering it all two inch refresh every night.   Would you ski there more often?  If the conditions are great everything else can be overlooked.  

I would rather ride old lifts, eat on a picnic bench and have the entire mountain skiing great.  And so would the general public.  

When it comes to skiing its all about  conditions conditions conditions.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
When I see huge projects like that taking shape I never think they are going to succeed.   I am happy the see the infrastructure build because bankruptcy can not take that away.  Now you have a nice place to drink beer and look at milf in bathing suits.  
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
from the radar and webcams looks like gp's getting some le love!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
YES! Still snowing --- a couple today and a couple tomorrow ---- should be good skiing come Friday. With temps looking to be staying cold I'm really hoping they have good Xmas and New Years weeks
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
I went on Greekpeak.net to check hours of operation which I did find. What i couldn't find was a webcam, conditions page or even a complete trail map! Hopefully this is only temporary until they are open for daily business...
Reply | Threaded
|

northerncajun
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Camp

Me too!! I am betting on it for me and the girls.
Come on snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

timbly
In reply to this post by pro2860
As if the  dot net URL wasn't enough of a give away, Greek Peak is not a web savvy resort. Web cam (singular) and conditions are presently under the "mountain" tab. They usually update the conditions a day or two after they've occurred (you're supposed to call the conditions hotline). As others have hinted, marketing is still not a strong suit there. I hope their efforts are going into snowmaking so that this all takes care of itself....
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
timbly wrote
As if the  dot net URL wasn't enough of a give away, Greek Peak is not a web savvy resort. Web cam (singular) and conditions are presently under the "mountain" tab. They usually update the conditions a day or two after they've occurred (you're supposed to call the conditions hotline). As others have hinted, marketing is still not a strong suit there. I hope their efforts are going into snowmaking so that this all takes care of itself....
What does Greek do on Facebook?  I can think of several smaller ski areas that have basic websites but are actively using a FB Page.

Tenney is exclusively on FB and it's been working pretty well.  Key is that during the season, updates come regularly, questions are answered by someone at the top of the management, and they also post videos on a regular basis.

In VA a few years ago, I observed the difference between the Mnut and Wintergreen FB Pages and websites.  That was before an ownership change at Wintergreen.  They are only about an hour apart, drawing from DC and Richmond mostly.  I learned some things about online marketing that year.  Eventually Wintergreen got their act together and found someone to pay attention properly to the FB Page.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by northerncajun
Unless things drastically change I can't see why it wouldn't be a safe  bet. Enjoy!!
Reply | Threaded
|

timbly
In reply to this post by marznc
Their FB handle is "Greek Peak Mountain Resort". They mostly post static ads for the waterpark and hotel. Sometimes there's video of the hill. Seems to be pretty much an afterthought like the website.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I am going to have to disagree with you, Timbly.  I took a quick look at their FB page. The last ten days or so have been primarily about skiing, with an exception of the tubing center.  My feeling is that they post stuff about the spas and resort more when there is lack o' skiing information because there is no skiing.  Their FB page is kept reasonably current, which is what the younger-than-I-am crowd is looking for.

If they were to upgrade their website (hint, hint), I would like to have both webcams working and have the trail/conditions report available by 8 am.  I have found the Odyssey webcam immensely helpful, actually.  If I can zoom in on the parking lot and it's partially empty, that signals a day of adulting or something not skiing related.  And then of course, there's the watching people going down Iliad while I'm stuck at work aspect, but not that I do that or anything.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Around the southeast, there are more good webcam installations than you might expect for a bunch of small ski areas.  That's because SkiSoutheast has been actively supporting webcam installations for both winter and summer resorts.  (Owner of SkiSoutheast has a consulting company that does website development, with leisure destinations being a specialty.)  It definitely has made a big difference for me being able to see what's going on at Massanutten first hand.  Especially exactly when snowmaking is happening during early season or after a warm spell.

The few southeast or PA ski areas that don't have webcams get criticized for that fact on a regular basis.
Reply | Threaded
|

timbly
In reply to this post by wonderpony
Well, disagreeing with me on the internet and five dollars will buy you a coffee at Starbucks....
I still think the FB feed is really low on actual/timely information. Just like the website. Video of snow falling from the sky fails to inform me how much they're getting or blowing, or which trails will be open and groomed (or open and not groomed!) for the weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Chair 4 was lit up last night, so I would imagine Trojan should be a go for the weekend as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by timbly
Timbly, they also don't update the third party ski condition sites--sometimes not for days. My guess is that they don't have a full-time social media employee, but rather it's handled by their less than stellar marketing department.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Chair 4 was lit up last night, so I would imagine Trojan should be a go for the weekend as well.
Wow!  They are getting aggressive this season with snow making. That's great to hear.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Wow!  They are getting aggressive this season with snow making. That's great to hear.
Yes it is!! I hear they hope to have more lifts/trails open midweek as well. Certainly Ma-Natch is giving them a helping hand and I'm very happy to see them taking advantage of it. Bring on the POW!!
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
Timbly, they also don't update the third party ski condition sites--sometimes not for days. My guess is that they don't have a full-time social media employee, but rather it's handled by their less than stellar marketing department.
That's manual process?  I know that OnTheSnow pulls info directly from websites.  Doing a manual process for each ski area/resort would be too labor intensive.  At the same time, SkiSE updates the short list they cover manually.  That's the responsibility of a SkISE staff member who looks at websites or makes phone calls if necessary to get an early morning update so that the conditions page can be finished by 7:30 or 8:00.  The market served includes people who live close enough to make a last minute decision whether or not to make the drive to ski on a given morning.

Agree that a staff member who has social media as a primary job responsibility is key these days.  Needs to be someone who can actually answer most questions without having to ask someone more knowledgeable first.

Tenney hasn't quite open yet, but the fact that the top guy is handling Facebook makes a huge difference in the level of trust that's developed with the local community.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I would recommend calling the snow-phone 800.365.7669. Wes himself updates it during the season aprox 6AM everyday with accurate info. I've been calling it for years and years, never disappoints.
Reply | Threaded
|

northerncajun
Come on snow!!! I want to ski there for the holidays with my girls.
1 ... 567891011 ... 32