classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
637 messages Options
1 ... 6789101112 ... 32
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
The entire hill was lit up last night ---- with single digit temps I think they were running wide open!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Very cool

"Friday, December 22nd, is Greek Peak’s annual fundraiser for the Local Food Pantry. En lieu of canned donations, Greek Peak is charging $5 per lift ticket which will be donated to Virgil United Methodist Church to help fill their food pantry. The Fundraiser goes from 930a-4p."
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
The entire hill was lit up last night ---- with single digit temps I think they were running wide open!
Skied today for about an hour and a half. Conditions were quite unremarkable. Iliad was terrible...slick with lots of undulation that could maybe have been groomed out.

Fields to Stoic was decent as long as you could get over the field of chicken heads that separated the "two" trails. Karyatis was mostly like it usually is.

They had a few guns going on Ody, and some apparently on Trojan. Why aren't they all cranked up? I've skied at places where they make snow on open trails...why doesn't GP do that? They have got to fire things up or Christmas is going to be a bust.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
That's very disappointing.  I was hoping for a glowing report given the 4+ inches of snow we received and the cold temps for snow making. :(
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I thought for sure there would be a discussion on the scanners that occasionally tanked the lift line today.  It's rather frustrating watching empty chairs go up when there's a line. I did overhear that they had two new people working the lift line and scanners today. I sure hope they get that worked out!

Other than that, things were pretty good.  The middle part of Iliad was a bit rough, as was Stoic.  All in all, a good time.  :)

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
wonderpony wrote
I thought for sure there would be a discussion on the scanners that occasionally tanked the lift line today.  It's rather frustrating watching empty chairs go up when there's a line. I did overhear that they had two new people working the lift line and scanners today. I sure hope they get that worked out!

Other than that, things were pretty good.  The middle part of Iliad was a bit rough, as was Stoic.  All in all, a good time.  :)

WP
Interesting. Forgot they were doing that. I wonder why...do they really feel they have a problem with lost revenue over people sneaking on the lift?

WP, they can't load the lift correctly anyway. Yesterday they were not using any scanners, but almost every single time I got on the people in front of me let one or two chairs go by because they failed to put their legs against the gate. Hey Greek Peak - either put up a sign that says "Put your damn leg against the gate or it won't open" or tell the lifties to open their mouths once in a while and tell people how to load properly!
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
Skied GP today with the wife and kids.  Saturday’s light snow helped them out as coverage was decent.  Some of the ropes were down on the mountain bike trail areas, but the the cover in the trees was way too thin to venture in without my “rock” skis.  Most everything was a firm base with a light dusting on top.  Iliad was my pick of the day, under the chairlift.  It was covered in natural snow.  Some might have considered it to be “thin and bare”, but as Harv would say that’s just code for “great conditions”, and I thought it was.  I was disappointed that chair 4 was not running, but they were continuing to make snow on Trojan.

Lots of big snow piles building up on Oddysey.  I also noticed many huge whales along the flat area below Trojan and Pollux.

SkiMax on Karyatis.  Decent coverage on the top half, bottom half was a bit icy, as usual.

KidJoneski on Platonic.  Very nice coverage there.
It will be too warm for snowmaking for the next couple days, but if they get another window at the end of this week, it should be a good Christmas break for them!
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
@ Billy --- the chicken head thing made me laugh!

Glad to hear things turned around

Pro -- did you make turns this weekend?
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by wonderpony
wonderpony wrote
WP
I heard from a buddy who said that they only had one scanner on Saturday and Sunday, and couldn't scan tickets/passes fast enough. Empty chairs were going by, and lines were building. Wes mentioned in the spring that they were considering scanners, and I'm actually glad to see them being used. However, there are different types of scanners, and some work more efficiently than others. Vail uses RFID scanners that can scan right through clothing, so they need not be visible. However, with the bar codes on Greek Peak's passes, I would assume they are scanning the bar codes, which can add to the delay.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
I skiied Saturday and Sunday for a couple of hours each day. At times there were empty chairs because of the scanner but just as many empty chairs from people not contacting the gates at the conveyor. Dozer Ron was pairing people then someone else scanned you on the way to the conveyor. I thought that worked the best but every time they rotate employees a different system was used. Ron did say they were talking about going to the rfid scanners but no idea when.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
WHOA!! If Dozer is running the line he'll get shit straightened out ---- I guarantee peeps will listen to what he has to say
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by pro2860
pro2860 wrote
 Ron did say they were talking about going to the rfid scanners but no idea when.
They would need to embed chips into their passes, as well as purchase RFID lift tickets. This would definitely add to the cost. I wonder why they only had one gun, as the majority of the other lifts are not open, so spare guns were likely available. I know that Greek likes to demo equipment before purchasing, so maybe that is the case with the scanner, as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Still not a fan of the scanners, even when there was no line today.  Somehow, the process needs to be streamlined.
 Anyone know if they will be scanning at all lifts, once they're all open?  

Meanwhile, conditions were great today.  :)
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Well the question I have is why are they scanning in the first place? What was the cost/benefit analysis on that? What was their estimated revenue loss to service theft that drove them to implement a scanning process that is sure to slow down the loading of their main lift that they already can't load in the first place?

Greek Peak Partner - if you're here, spend $100 on a sign that shows people how to put their legs against the gate!! Or hire lifties that aren't mutes and tell them their job is to tell people to put their legs against the gates.

As for the scanning, they are going to lose more revenue than they protect. I think the decision making process went something like "Hey I saw this at Big XYZ resort. Maybe we should do it too."
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by wonderpony
From what I understand they'll be scanning on 1-3-5
Reply | Threaded
|

timbly
In reply to this post by billyymc
Yeah, bllymc said, exactly. Are they trying to solve a problem? I'm down with them collecting data--like how many runs do season pass holders take in a day vs. window ticket purchasers. But if it's for theft-of-services enforcement, that seems like a total waste.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
It's got to be data.  I'm not sure if they can collect as much with scanners as RFID.  Let the data mining begin!  
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by billyymc
I am thinking they get some marketing info using the scanner.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Unless they scan on all lifts, any data collected will be fruitless.

They have timed tickets now, so the scanners likely ensure that tickets are being checked, and are valid. One person who is skiing on an invalid ticket represents the daily salary of one employee.

Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
WHOA!! If Dozer is running the line he'll get shit straightened out ---- I guarantee peeps will listen to what he has to say
Lol...Nobody was arguing with Ron! Hopefully he will train the other lifties.
1 ... 6789101112 ... 32