classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
637 messages Options
1 ... 272829303132
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
I didn't ski this weekend but you will be fine. They're calling for LE thursday and friday. Only problem you might run into is if it doesn't warm up enough it could be a bit glacial out there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
campgottagopee wrote
I didn't ski this weekend but you will be fine. They're calling for LE thursday and friday. Only problem you might run into is if it doesn't warm up enough it could be a bit glacial out there.
The thing is that the Machine Made Base is so much more durable than natural snow. Therefore it probably will still be good this coming weekend. Also Greek when making snow adds into the process a product called "Snowmax" which among other things increases the durability of the machine made stuff. Colder night time temps should preserve the base. A guy once told me that machine made will be stable an not really melt unless the temp is over 42 degrees.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
In reply to this post by Big D
Firm/hard and icy is a good way to describe yesterday.  I left after three runs down the bunny slope.  It seemed like if the sun came out and things warmed up that it would have been a good day...
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Closed through Thursday due to the weather.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
According to the snow phone they plan to re-open on Thursday.
Reply | Threaded
|

camhan22
A quick look on the webcam reveals that GP has been hit hard by the rain and latest warmth.  Doesn't look good...
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Skied Greek on Sat. 4/7/18. They got a good 2 inches of snow, which covered up the ice nicely. Got out on the hill at 12:30... skied til 6:00.

Half way up Illiad on the side, a crevase type thing opened up and U can see how deep the machine made base is on Illiad.

also lots of base on Odessey

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
According to the snow phone Greek's last day will be Saturday 4/14 and will be a ski free day.

I can not believe that for the second year in a row they aren't going to open Sunday. Then again nothing they do will surprise me anymore. There's so much snow!
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
According to the snow phone Greek's last day will be Saturday 4/14 and will be a ski free day.

I can not believe that for the second year in a row they aren't going to open Sunday. Then again nothing they do will surprise me anymore. There's so much snow!

I usually am in Vermont this time of the year through the balance of the ski season, but decided to see some of my buddies before pulling the plug on GP for the year.  The bases were definitely much better than I expected, with a little brown, but very few bare spots on the main trails.  Saturday was a mixed bag, with the new snow over ice, but Sunday was much better.

It was very unfortunate that the ski area was a ghost town, with very few cars in the parking lot.  

It's nice to see that they are doing a free day next Saturday, but as you said, why on earth close after one weekend day.  People, such as myself, who have a hefty drive, will certainly not do so for one day.  Regardless, I give them credit for staying open this late into the year.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote

It's nice to see that they are doing a free day next Saturday, but as you said, why on earth close after one weekend day.  
They have lost their soul

Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
yea that sucks, was thinking about possibly hitting Greek Sunday if they were open. Was there a pond skim or end of year party? I just looked at the website and fb and found nothing... weak sauce
Reply | Threaded
|

camhan22
gorgonzola wrote
yea that sucks, was thinking about possibly hitting Greek Sunday if they were open. Was there a pond skim or end of year party? I just looked at the website and fb and found nothing... weak sauce
Pond skim and DJ on the deck was in mid-March.  They did advertise it on FB and I think sent emails as well. Unfortunately for die-hard skiers that still want to make turns on what snow is left often don't get the chance because it isn't financially feasible when the rest of the general public sees grass in their yards and have no interest or knowledge that there is still snow and fun skiing conditions.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
camhan22 wrote
Pond skim and DJ on the deck was in mid-March.  They did advertise it on FB and I think sent emails as well. Unfortunately for die-hard skiers that still want to make turns on what snow is left often don't get the chance because it isn't financially feasible when the rest of the general public sees grass in their yards and have no interest or knowledge that there is still snow and fun skiing conditions.
yea I hear ya... blue closed yesterday with better coverage than we had in february  seems pretty anticlimactic to close on a saturday  with no festivities though
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I am not sure that it makes sense for them to stay open, however. There have not been that many people there the past few weekends.  At what point do they start losing money in order to stay open for a handful of skiers?  The forecast is for warm and rain on Thursday, and 70 on Friday, so who knows how much snow will be left.

The webcam makes things look better than they are, IMO.  I skied for a couple hours on Saturday morning.  We lucked out and got a couple inches of LE Saturday morning, which made the top of Karyatis just lovely.  :)  But, under that two inches of snow, was, ahem, "loose granular." IOW, frozen corduroy.  Once that lovely snow got skied off, it was just gross underneath.  I am not a fan of skidding sideways down over that stuff.  Christy's was nice, too, until it got skied off.  Then, there is the glacier that runs along the bottom of Christy's and Stoic.  If the base that they have was all snow, that would be awesome, but there's so much ice.  :(
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
That's just it WP we have harvested the corn yet ---- with the warm temps on the horizon this weekend would be the weekend for a perfect corn harvest to end the season, on SUNDAY!

NO SOUL
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Full on winter yesterday, heck all of last week!

Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
So, I should leave my gear in the car for one more weekend, huh?  :)
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
fer sure
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
They have lost their soul
You hit the nail on the head.  There is zero energy at the place, with little activities, or other engaging events. It's become nothing more than a place to ski/board, and then head home. They try with the bands in Trax, but that's about it, and focused on a very specific market segment. The only bit of energy was during Spartan.
Reply | Threaded
|

northerncajun
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
It was very good Saturday skied from noon till close was a blast.

They should open all of  next weekend.    The parking lot was kinda bear was like having the mountain to yourself.
1 ... 272829303132