1 ... 24252627282930 ... 32
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

MC2 5678F589
Brownski wrote
Wow
Those races look tough, Pee Tex. She must be in some awesome shape. Good job.
Lol. This Greek Peak one (4 miles?) is considered a "Sprint" in Spartan. Ask me how I know, or just look at this picture of my wife's medals:

She's done multiple "Ultra Beast" races, which are 26+ miles up and down Killington. She's 35, I guess, so maybe it's easier for her.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
That’s awesome also, MC. I guess you married up, just like me.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Obviously, being the expert you are, you would know but I believe the one at Greek is the only race in snow. Right?

I would simply guess (no expert like you) that would make some sort of a difference.

Anyway, great POW here in CNY --- game on
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
This post was updated on .

White Out!!!
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Dude it was sick out last night --- 2 feet in the last 2 days easy ---- I was told Ronnie's was super sweeet --- I believe it cause the riding was off the charts good
Reply | Threaded
|

camhan22
campgottagopee wrote
Dude it was sick out last night --- 2 feet in the last 2 days easy ---- I was told Ronnie's was super sweeet --- I believe it cause the riding was off the charts good
Ronnies, by far was THE BEST run on the hill!!!  Knee deep POWDER!
Reply | Threaded
|

Turd Ferguson
Got stuck at work yesterday, but seriously thinking about bailing soon to go up for a few runs!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Def do it! Been puking snow all morning
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
Best snow so far this season imo!  It snowed off and on all day long.

First tracks down Zeus this morning along with a face shot!  The top was wind blown, but there were many pockets of deep powder below.  The bottom section was groomed with 3-4” of fresh on top.

Only a couple bare spots on the steep section of Labyrinth, everything else was in prime shape.

Hiked up to the top of Atlas after lunch since chair 2 was not running.  Had to follow the snowmobile tracks since the untouched stuff was about mid thigh deep.

My favorite line on the mountain.

Steep & deep in the trees below karyatis.

They were setting up for tomorrow’s pond skimming.  Hopefully the place will be packed!  I’ll be in the Catskills.  No reason we shouldn’t be able to hit early April.
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
Anyone when or about when,Greek ends nights?
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by Joneski73
Skied SAt morning for a few hours with my daughter. Conditions were very good in general, although the cut up areas seemed just frozen up a tiny bit underneath.

Nothing resembling the thigh high conditions described by Joneski73, although the glades off of chair 2 were boot deep and hardly touched.

Quad was down for maintenance for a bit in the morning but was up by about 11 I guess. Chair 2 for was being run at about half speed - which makes a really long ride - so we only hit those glades once.

Headwall of Zeus was already scraped off with the usual rocks to structure your bases. That last little pitch on Chair 5 was officially closed.

We had to leave at 12, and it never got crowded.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Wasn't planning to ski today because I need to get a longish bike ride in, but my buddy wanted to take his kids up and use Warren Miller vouchers. So I planned to meet them, ski for a couple hours with them, have lunch, then do a 60 mile ride from GP to Dryden, Owego, then back to Endicott. His oldest son was going to drive my car back for me.

Unfortunately neither of us read the voucher closely enough and they aren't good on weekends. Ugh. WTF is the point?

His kids normally only ski about 4k hours anyway. So with the vouchers not accepted, and at $68 for 4 hour pass at Greek, they headed 20 minutes up the road to Song where the 4 hour passes cost $51 each. I didn't explicitly ask, but I think if GP 4 hour passes had been $58 they would have stayed and spent their money there (including lunch for four).

Is the 4 hour pass at $68 a popular product for GP? Seems unlikely.

Quad was not running when I got there around 9:30, and looking at the webcam it's still not. They clearly are having some serious issues with it this year.

Snow looked nicely groomed, but I have to get my ride in so headed home instead of skiing.

Closing thought - there are virtually never lines at Greek unless they're caused by lift loading issues. And that's despite their terrain being arguably better than the other three hills in the same vicinity. That says to me that their pricing is off. Looks like their season passes sold well at $450 and $475, but have maybe hit a stall at $500.

Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
This post was updated on .
I skied both days and had a great time.  Saturday, I got there a bit late (9:40ish) after trying to identify where some loose horses live.  I did speak with a human, who knew the horses and had left a note for their owner.  The horses were heading home and the barn door was open.  I figured he was on it, so I wasn't going to worry.  This morning on my way to GP, the horses were snacking on a neighbor's greenery.  There were cars at the house.  On the way back, they were in a farmer's field.  Perhaps they free-range horses on this particular road.  All I know is that I would have been panicking.

Not sure what's up with the quad.It was running when I got there at 8:30 this morning.  After my 3rd run, it smelled like grease.  By the time I was down, they were sending us over to lift one.

Edited to add:  I think that what happens this time of year is that people are looking forward to spring.  Spring sports start in schools.  BillyMC, you wanted to get in a long ride, so you chose not to ski.  I am looking forward to actually riding my horse, rather than just walking around in the snow.  A few weeks ago, I wore flip-flops to work and this morning, it was 4 when I got to GP. I miss my yoga studio.  But... I know that I have three, maybe four weeks of skiing and then that's it until late next fall.  So, Draco got a morning off, I will do yoga with a youtube later today, and a spent a couple of cold hours this morning skiing, having a great time listening to the transition from ski to ski on the corduroy and trying to figure out from the lift which were my tracks in the corduroy.  Life does not suck.  :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
wonderpony wrote
I skied both days and had a great time.  Saturday, I got there a bit late (9:40ish) after trying to identify where some loose horses live.  I did speak with a human, who knew the horses and had left a note for their owner.  The horses were heading home and the barn door was open.  I figured he was on it, so I wasn't going to worry.  This morning on my way to GP, the horses were snacking on a neighbor's greenery.  There were cars at the house.  On the way back, they were in a farmer's field.  Perhaps they free-range horses on this particular road.  All I know is that I would have been panicking.
Wonderpony to the rescue, once again!

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote

Is the 4 hour pass at $68 a popular product for GP? Seems unlikely.
Based on a conversation I had last evening, the four hour pass may disappear next year. That’s not a definite, but it’s not looking good for it to remain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
So what happened to the lines I experienced in the early 80s at GP?   Reference to earlier comment on never any lines.    I waited forever at the zues chair and took the t bars as the chair on the right always long lines
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Cornhead and I were there on Sat. 3/17 and the skiing was great. Olympian had good snow coverage. A couple of pics of the pond skiming:

Reply | Threaded
|

Turd Ferguson
I was up yesterday, and whatever was cookin over in the Chair 5 lot smelled amazing.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Hoser
Hoser wrote
So what happened to the lines I experienced in the early 80s at GP?   Reference to earlier comment on never any lines.    I waited forever at the zues chair and took the t bars as the chair on the right always long lines
Gordy and his crew had a lot to do with those lines back in that day
Reply | Threaded
|

Turd Ferguson
In reply to this post by scrundy
scrundy wrote
Anyone when or about when,Greek ends nights?
According to their website...now.

No more Mon-Wed night skiing.
1 ... 24252627282930 ... 32