637 messages Options
1 ... 2526272829303132
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

Rj1972
Hoser wrote
So what happened to the lines I experienced in the early 80s at GP?   Reference to earlier comment on never any lines.    I waited forever at the zues chair and took the t bars as the chair on the right always long lines
Ski areas to the south, and much closer to the NY, NJ, and PA major metropolitan areas began investing in infrastructure improvements that matched GP’s. No longer was there a need to drive by those areas to ride chairlifts instead of surface lifts. The improvements to snow making and lifts eventually surpassed that of GP’s. Not everyone cares about terrain, so skier visits declined considerably. Then the high speed quads went in, and snow making improved even further to the south.

GP also had one of the top ski school programs in the East under Gordy Richardson. They pioneered many ski techniques that were featured in skiing publications.

The busses from Philly and NYC also stopped pouring into the parking lots.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Any skier visit numbers you can reference? Could it be that lifts just get people up the hill faster now? You can get the vert in by noon what took you bell to bell in the 70's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Interesting comments guys makes sense on the change from the 80s
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Could it be that lifts just get people up the hill faster now?
You haven't been to Greek Peak have you?
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
The only real change in GP's lifts from the 70/80's until now is the replacement of two T-Bars with a fixed grip quad. They also removed a Poma lift. Nearly all of the ski areas in the Pocono's have detachable quads.

I do have skier visit numbers from when we looked at acquiring GP, but definitely can't share them. Suffice it to say that skier visits are down.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Really??? Why is that?? Common oh wise RJ enlighten us. It was a public auction so why should that info be a secret if you actually have it.

The biggest change that nobody talks about is it used to snow it's ass off around here ---- not so much now
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
The biggest change that nobody talks about is it used to snow it's ass off around here ---- not so much now
You are right about that, and it didn't go up to 60 degrees in the middle of the winter, either.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
A long time groomer at GP told me once that everyone is a hero when it snows.
Reply | Threaded
|

bumps
In reply to this post by billyymc
tjf1967 wrote
billyymc wrote
True, but on the bright side... if your coat zippers need oil, you're at the right place.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
bumps wrote
tjf1967 wrote
billyymc wrote
True, but on the bright side... if your coat zippers need oil, you're at the right place.
LMAO!

Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by bumps
bumps wrote
tjf1967 wrote
billyymc wrote
Nice. And if your skis need waxing just ski close to the lift towers.

Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
It looks like this could be the last good weekend, for real.  If any of you are skiing, I'd love to say hi. I'm the older than dirt woman with a red helmet and mismatched outfit, skiing very slowly down the skier's right side of Iliad (or some other slope), trying to keep my left ski on the snow in the turns.  I truly appreciate hearing mountain updates.  

WP

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
wonderpony wrote
It looks like this could be the last good weekend, for real.  If any of you are skiing, I'd love to say hi. I'm the older than dirt woman with a red helmet and mismatched outfit, skiing very slowly down the skier's right side of Iliad (or some other slope), trying to keep my left ski on the snow in the turns.  I truly appreciate hearing mountain updates.  

WP
Post of the season.

Great to have you here wonderpony.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Wow, Harvey.  Thanks! I'm touched.  Seriously. I lurked on this website for a few years before joining, as most skiers on the forum seem to be men with lots of experience.  I wasn't sure that as a female totally amateur skier who needs to screw up her courage to ski Odyssey that I'd fit in.  But, I love skiing, and I sure as hell appreciate having GP half an hour from home.  There are days at the tail ends of the season that I will ski the bunny slope just to ski.  I figure I can always work on keeping that left ski down.  :p

And, thank you, Harvey, for this forum. :)  It keeps me sane when I'm stuck at work and would rather be skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
You are welcome.

Forums, not just ski forums, are mostly anonymous and because of that they get rough and tumble. I learned early on that the only choice was to moderate the hell out of things, of just accept the fact that many or most women would be driven away by the rough stuff.

Marznc is a veteran of ski forums and takes a "boys will be boys" approach to all the $hit that goes on. You seem to have a knack for ignoring that stuff too.  Really appreciate the perspective of the few women who hang here.  Your passion for skiing is evident, a great addition to the forum.
Reply | Threaded
|

Lateski
In reply to this post by wonderpony
wonderpony wrote
  There are days at the tail ends of the season that I will ski the bunny slope just to ski.
That’s a great quote.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I agree. My tracks at the Plattekill Learning Center on Feb 18:

Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by wonderpony
wonderpony wrote
It looks like this could be the last good weekend, for real.
WP, what makes you say that? I thought their base was good...what have you heard?

I plan to get up there tomorrow, even though cycling is my priority at the moment. Went out today for 40 miles to try out the aerobars I just installed - and the gusty NNW wind almost took me out at one point!  
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I haven't heard anything. I was just looking at the warmer temperatures and mid-week rain. However, it's now looking like it might not be so bad. I may be cancelling my yoga reservation to ski once again!
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
I skied GP yesterday and conditions were pretty good.  Most of the main trails looked like this:

Well groomed, good coverage, and little if any ice.

A few spots are getting thin or are already closed such as the Zeus head wall.  Olympian has some bare spots and there is a bare spot on skiers right at the top of the steep section of Trojan that comes up on you quick.  

This last section under chair 5 is toast.  The high March sun just won’t let it hold the snow.

The fat lady definitely HAS NOT started singing.  Best bet is that she’s in a limo somewhere on her way to the opera house!
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
1 ... 2526272829303132