|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

gorgonzola
yep thanks, i like the eastern ski trail so thinking the shortest bushwack would be right at the castor/pollux(?) split off of 2

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Agree --- I'd keep an eye out for a trail somewhere in there as well. It's a maintenance entrance with a gate.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Virgil Mountain Loop trail is literally 10 feet into the woods behind the top of Chair 2. It’s stays close to the edge of Greek for a while as you head in the direction of the top of Chair 4 but veers away before you hit the power lines.Then you would turn right and both Virgil Mtn Loop and FLT follow the power lines for a while. FLT heads into the woods on the left and then there is a trail head on Tone Road just a bit east of Chair 5. I think near where the guy with the honeybees is...Camp?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Correct. It comes down right near the snowmobile trail. The guy with the bee's is right next door

Do you know the name of the trail that has the access road I'm referring too? I think it's the one off to the right as you get off #2.
Reply | Threaded
|

Turd Ferguson
Camp, I believe that access is off of Zephyr (right off #2)
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yep! That's the name of that trail --- thanks

Reply | Threaded
|

mikeC
Hi Camp,

I'm thinking of skiing Greek this weekend.  Is that a bad idea knowing the Spartan race is happening?  Do you know if there will there be major trail closures for the race? I saw on the Greek's conditions page they are promoting free skiing at Tog for Greek pass holders.  I wasn't sure if that was a coincidence or if they are actively encouraging other skiing options for Saturday.  Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
This post was updated on .
mikeC wrote
Hi Camp,

I'm thinking of skiing Greek this weekend.  Is that a bad idea knowing the Spartan race is happening?  Do you know if there will there be major trail closures for the race? I saw on the Greek's conditions page they are promoting free skiing at Tog for Greek pass holders.  I wasn't sure if that was a coincidence or if they are actively encouraging other skiing options for Saturday.  Thanks!
Avoid it like the plague, Greek doesn't care about it's season pass holders, they're more interested in wedding receptions and stupid obstacle course races. Togg sucks, go to Song, tell them you're unhappy with Greek's bullshit and you're considering a Song pass. Wouldn't shock me if they compped you. I think they were offering GP pass holders discounts during the Spartan race, maybe they are this year.

Check GP's Facebook, lots of unhappy customers. They sold people lift tickets in advance and neglected to tell them they'd have to pony up another $30 to park on top of the ridiculous $79. $109 for one day at Greek?! They say they'll deduct the parking fee from next season's pass, but why not just show your pass and park for free? Bullshit.

Well it looks like you will be able to park for free at chair 5. Lift opens at 9:30. Color me shocked. They could've showed pass holders some real love and spun it during the week since Odyssey and Olympian were closed all week. Still not right letting people buy tickets without informing them of the parking fee.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I have skied during the past Spartan races, and enjoyed it.  I have had fun watching people heave themselves up and over crazy shit running up Odyssey while I luxuriate on the lift and cruise down Iliad.  Given the number of people that were there on both days last weekend, I think that having the Spartan Race is a good way for GP to stay in the black.  It's also nice to know that we can park at chair 5 for free. That means I don't have to grab cash to park up front.  (I am also ok with getting my $30 back towards my pass.  Not a big deal for me. I'm going to spend the money, anyhow.)

I do think that it sucks that GP neglected to let single day ticket buyers know about the additional cost.  They need to do something about that..

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I’d be curious how GP is benefiting from the race???? Is it simply the publicity, lodging, and possibly Food & beverage revenue?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by mikeC
I would park at 5 and let them rip. The slopes will be empty due to the race and it will be good skiing as we've gotten some snow this week.
I think it's awesome they do this race. 3000 plus people will be visiting Virgil, buying beer, burgers etc and having a blast. It's obviously a good source of revenue for them so I'm all for it.
You could ski Togg with your GP pass for free too. Don't go to Song, that place is boring AF. Go to Lab if not interested in dealing with GP.
I still say go ski GP and take it all in. It's quite an atmosphere and gives off good vibes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I agree with Camp--the skiing/boarding crowds will be light, as they were last year during the race. It's a good time to get out there, and also see a little entertainment as you ride the lift and watch the Spartan competitors.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
ditto... we ski'd during the first one two years ago, fun to watch - quite the event

oh and thanks for the intel on Kennedy SF. Will have to try it another time, we got 4-5" cream cheese at blue that morning and decided to stay local
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Too funny! I thought for sure you were up. I saw XC tracks coming out on to the truck trail from Greek yesterday and thought it was you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
The Spartan Race is Sold Out for a second year in a row. 4,500 Entries. Greek has a 5 year contract to host the race.... so 2 more years left after this.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Big D wrote
The Spartan Race is Sold Out for a second year in a row. 4,500 Entries. Greek has a 5 year contract to host the race.... so 2 more years left after this.
That's great!  It's so nice to see so many people frequenting the area, and hopefully local businesses. I do know they were also selling entries on Groupon.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote
Big D wrote
That's great!  It's so nice to see so many people frequenting the area, and hopefully local businesses. I do know they were also selling entries on Groupon.
Agree. Local economy def benefits from this race. Hopefully GP continues this for many more years after the contract is up. I've been watching them set up the course. To say a lot of work goes into this would be a massive understatement. I'd be curious as to the number of man hours that goes into getting this thing ready.
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
I agree with Camp!  The revenue that this brings to the mountain is a good thing that will only improve things long term.  I’m not crazy about the crowds, but I don’t ski Saturday’s for that reason anyway.
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
To answer earlier question I am not doing it this year, as my buddy is not able to join.  It was really really fun last year.  Nothing over the edge, but certainly as challenging as you make it.  Fortunately last year was in the thirties if I remember correctly, vs 2 years ago single digits.

If you have not done a Spartan, or a winter one, DO IT!  So fun!  And yeah, its about the shirt too.  
1 ... 567891011 ... 17