1 ... 891011121314 ... 17
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

billyymc
pro2860 wrote
billyymc wrote
Wow - Sunday highlighted just how thin the base at Greek is right now.
Wow 20-46 inch base according to their website...
You couldn't ski from Fields to Platonic because the top of Meadow had no snow and it was closed.

I'm sure there's a place somewhere you could find a 46 inch base, but not where it counts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
While the skiing was good over the weekend, coverage was getting extremely thin. They are also back to their old game playing of not running all the lifts. They do that during the week, but their newest thing is to run lift 2 "as needed" on the weekend. Why bother making snow on lift 2 if they rarely operate it?

I think we may call it quits with GP for the season, and start heading up to Killington until the snow melts. I have to look, but I don't think I skied much more than eight days at GP this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Holy smokes!   I had no idea a storm was on the way.
Reply | Threaded
|

Turd Ferguson
Time for one last hurrah!  I can't get up there until Sunday, so I bet you guys'll have it all skied out before me!
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I hope that everyone else had as much fun skiing today as I did! I went with very low expectations, given the fact that we only got a couple of inches of snow to cover the ice, and that I had to take Thursday and Friday off from work because I got hit with the mother of all colds. Plus, my lower back was out, probably from coughing. However, I figured that I should try.

The parking lot was pretty empty when I got there at 9:30.  Illiad still looked freshly groomed.  At that point, my plan to start on the bunny slope vanished. I stuffed one pocket with tissues, put some cough drops in another and headed up the quad, figuring I would start off easy with Karyatis to platonic, and keep things easy.

But.... conditions were really nice!!! I forgot about my cold and back issues, and ended up on Christy's instead. I ended up skiing for two and a half hours, hitting Fields, Stoic, Wendy's, Illiad and Trojan. Yes, there were patches of ice, but they could be skied around.  At least today.   I'll take it.

When I took this pic, there was a killdeer calling. Kind of surreal to be going up the lift, listening to a killdeer.
Greek peek bluebird day

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Way to bring the stoke, WP! It seems like you’ve got a great outlook on life. Glad you had a good day and hope you feel better.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

WoolyBugger
In reply to this post by wonderpony
Winning atttitude right here. Making some vitamin d au naturale
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Any chatter about when theyre closing?
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
gorgonzola wrote
Any chatter about when theyre closing?
I'd be surprised if central NY areas made it past this weekend. Warm and sunny followed by warm and possible rain.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
Rumor is April 6th is pond skimming contest. My guess is that's their last day.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
Rumor is April 6th is pond skimming contest. My guess is that's their last day.
I'll bet you a beer they don't get there! Hope they do, but the forecast says no.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

Dougski
I can confirm that Saturday April 6 is indeed the scheduled closing day for skiing. I was up there both Monday and yesterday, and I expect that they will make that date, as long as we don't get a heavy rain. There is plenty of snow on the main snowmaking trails. Skiing on trails without snowmaking is, for the most part, already done. They are no longer grooming Zuess, Hercules and Odesesy. It was getting thin on both Marathon and Epicurian, so getting to Caster and Pollix may get difficult without Chair 2 operating. Its hard to get to Christy's from E Fields too.  While Zuess is nicely covered, its accessible only because of a snow bridge that the patrol made yesterday. Chair 2 seems done for the season. I've no idea what condtion trails are off Chair 5 but Chair 5 was running over the weekend and there was still lots of base left on Mars.

They plan to keep grooming everything else that is open (blues and greens), plus Illiad and E Fields every night. Actually skiing yesterday, with temps only in the upper 30s, was very good, as long as you stayed on the main trails. Yesterday morning there were more skiiers on the hill than I'd seen in weeks during a weekday. There were even a few beginners and first timers getting lessons.  It was a fine day for skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I drove through yesterday to see what damage was done at the fire in the condos. Thankfully not too much damage and nobody was hurt.

https://www.wxhc.com/?p=51391&fbclid=IwAR0Ai506Whzd-wpv26eXUE1gLK2aDiIWUrELQD7VynfSurH2YU3CIlRLqxY

I did notice there were a lot of cars, not surprising because I'm sure the skiing was great.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Heard that Greek is going to be a member area to the "Freedom Pass". Anybody hear anything?

Nineteen ski areas. Three lift tickets at each. Free with your season pass.
The Freedom Pass is a pass add-on at nineteen soul-filled ski areas across the United States. Buy a pass at a participating mountain, take it to any other mountain on the pass, and get three free days of skiing. It's that simple.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Big D wrote
Heard that Greek is going to be a member area to the "Freedom Pass". Anybody hear anything?

Nineteen ski areas. Three lift tickets at each. Free with your season pass.
The Freedom Pass is a pass add-on at nineteen soul-filled ski areas across the United States. Buy a pass at a participating mountain, take it to any other mountain on the pass, and get three free days of skiing. It's that simple.
Geez that's interesting. I had settled on my decision to NOT get a Greek pass for next year, and do an IKON Base pass instead. Fill in some local skiing on the cheap whenever possible.

If Greek was able to announce something like that it could change my decision.

Reliable source?
Reply | Threaded
|

Joneski73
This would be great!  If they announce it before the price increase, I’ll be buying.  Otherwise, I was planning on skipping a season pass next season and skiing other areas.
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by Big D
Big D wrote
Heard that Greek is going to be a member area to the "Freedom Pass".
I haven't heard anything, but becoming a member might be a smart move, as more and more consolidation occurs in the ski business. With that said the Freedom Pass ski areas are far from iconic, but none-the-less affords some options for skiers.

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Was going through some stuff the other day and came across this old map of GP. Back when we had 8 lifts and Ronnie's Run was Ronnie's Run

1 ... 891011121314 ... 17