1234 ... 53
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Greek Peak Conditions

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Since nobody local started it, I will. Looks like a gully washer today, I predict the skiing will be marginal tomorrow.

Questions for Camp:

I think you come out on Sundays?

I want to meet you bro. When it is snowy.  

I won't press you ski too much if you don't press me drink too much!

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee
We def need to hook up, no doubt!

Haven't skied in 2 years, knee can't take it. Well, it's not worth the pain to be quite honest. That said I may lace em up if you're on the hill. Make no promises though cause if it's deep I'll be riding.

However, I will with 100% certainty, meet you in Trax for a beverage of your choice when you're done skiing for the day. The A18 Gang is a real hoot!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
campgottagopee wrote
We def need to hook up, no doubt!

Haven't skied in 2 years, knee can't take it. Well, it's not worth the pain to be quite honest. That said I may lace em up if you're on the hill. Make no promises though cause if it's deep I'll be riding.

However, I will with 100% certainty, meet you in Trax for a beverage of your choice when you're done skiing for the day. The A18 Gang is a real hoot!
So what’s the story with your knees Camp? Have you thought about surgery?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Short version --- 2012 I blew my left knee out due to a pre-release binding incident. Second worst crash I ever had. Had complete reconstructive surgery, did all the rehab. Blah blah blah. Then tore my ACL again 9 mo's later. Was so pissed off!! Now it's full of arthritis and still slides out from time to time if I'm not square on it. I could brace it up and go ski (which is what I'll do when Harv is there) but the day after I really pay for it. Plus with it still sliding out it's hard for me to trust it.

Only fix to it now is a new knee. I'm not ready for another surgery yet. Can't being myself to do it. PLus my insurance sucks so it's a fair amoount of coin out of pocket for me. My last surgery cost me 5K. I can buy a lot of fun stuff with 5K -- lol

If all we had was dick deep POW it wouldn't be an issue. The vibration from the hard pack shit we ski on is the real culprit.

Honestly I'm truly hooked on riding now, so if there's snow to be I'd rather be on my sled. Man those things are fun! Awesome sense of power and speed.

I do miss first chair with the crew --- maybe I'll give er a go --- never know
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
F that sucks blowing it out less than a year from getting surgery. I get it, not wanting to go through it all over again.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
You nailed it

The time will come. It's just not here yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
campgottagopee wrote
You nailed it

The time will come. It's just not here yet.
When the time comes it will work out fine. I ski with a guy who was 2 fake knees, he can pop off Royal cristies and ski a “mild” bump line and loves pow. Another guy has a fake hip and he carves a fine fast line. I have no excuses - I just follow them.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
That is encouraging. I'll come when you are ready, and I'll come when it is soft, and maybe we will ski!

I can wait 2 years.

I'm basically a wuss so you'll be fine.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Just let me know when you'll be around and I'll be ready. Maybe I'll break out the Fischer 221's.....lol
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Unfortunately camp you haven't missed alot in terms of snow conditions anyway over the last few years at GP

I've only had a handful of nice pow/soft days and think I only missed another handful

now trax that's another story!

Hopefully this year will be better - I miss it! A nyskiblog day would be a hoot!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
gorgonzola wrote
Unfortunately camp you haven't missed alot in terms of snow conditions anyway over the last few years at GP

Big reason #2 for me not skiing for the past couple of years. I've turned into a snow snob. Not sure when it actually happened but I don't want to ski hard pack bs anymore. There I said it.

The stuff I want to ski at GP simply isn't open anymore. It's nobody's fault other than we don't get the POW like we used to, or when it's around I can't go. To lap ________ (insert any trail) I'll be bored after 4 runs. Gawd I sound old now --- LOL!

Plain and simple. I get much more enjoyment out of riding my sled during marginal conditions than I do skiing. And like you said Trax is always there and they welcome the smell of 2 stroke
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I hear that. I don’t really need to ski on marginal conditions. The only reason I’ve been getting out as much as I have the last few years is because it’s what I do with Cody.

I did get some “front side skis” for hard pack this fall

I’ve been wanting something more versatile for a long while now. Floppy fat skis kind of suck when it’s not snowing.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
gorgonzola wrote

Big reason #2 for me not skiing for the past couple of years. I've turned into a snow snob. Not sure when it actually happened but I don't want to ski hard pack bs anymore. There I said it.

The stuff I want to ski at GP simply isn't open anymore. It's nobody's fault other than we don't get the POW like we used to, or when it's around I can't go. To lap ________ (insert any trail) I'll be bored after 4 runs. Gawd I sound old now --- LOL!

Plain and simple. I get much more enjoyment out of riding my sled during marginal conditions than I do skiing. And like you said Trax is always there and they welcome the smell of 2 stroke
not to turn it into a anti ski discussion...I still love skiing, but only when conditions are right..soft snow, no crowds and no sub zero temps..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
 Floppy fat skis kind of suck when it’s not snowing.
LOL -- I told the guys I ski with that the only time you'll see me on the hill is when I can ride my Patron's. That was 2 years ago --- Long fat skis are the bomb!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by JasonWx
I'm right there with ya bro

In no way is it anti skiing. I'd sooner think is more of a been there done that kinda thing and I don't need to do it anymore.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
No need to suffer any more. It’s all about quality over quantity these days.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I am still into skiing in shitty conditions. I don’t have the freedom to choose. When I have time to go I go. Wall to wall hockey rink is the only thing that will make for a one-and-done day for me
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
it’s what I do with Cody.
This drives a lot of holiday and weekend skiing.  Kids.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Brownski
Up until 2 years ago I was the exact same way Broski. Did not matter what the conditions or weather was like, I got first chair. Did it for years and years. Won't do it anymore.

I have a buddy who is a private coach for a few kids at GP. Ove the summer he asked me  if I'd be willing to help him from time to time with setting up gates, etc, etc. If there's no snow to ride I told him I'd help him. I am looking forward to that a few times this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
raisingarizona wrote
it’s what I do with Cody.
This drives a lot of holiday and weekend skiing.  Kids.
Yep.  That's why I'm driving 4 hours to Massanutten in January a couple of times.  Once with my daughter in college to meet up with friends just before winter break is over. Then over MLK weekend with my friend and her two kids.  They all learned at Mnut with the help of ski school, and then became Altaholics for spring break trips. :-)
1234 ... 53