123456 ... 53
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

billyymc
campgottagopee wrote
billyymc wrote
Actually Camp I think the waterpark and lodge are the REASON they have as many skiers as they do. Look at the parking lot and at least half the cars are not local (on a weekend). They pull families in from the larger metro areas for the weekends or even a week! Without the waterpark that wouldn't be happening. Doesn't mean it's profitable, but without it they would have a lot fewer visitors.

Exactly! That's why it's hurting the ski side. That thing is such a monster that they have to cater to that customer. That has to be their customer now, there's no way around it.

To those folks 700 bucks for a pass is peanuts. That's it??? Hell I'll take 3 of them.
I get your point Camp (although I bet a lot of those customers get the early bird pass pricing). But I don't feel my situation is that unique. In fact I'd say the threshold to get me to come ski at Greek is a pretty low one - i live 45 minutes away, I've been skiing there almost 30 years, skiing is my primary winter activity, I have two late teen/early 20 kids who I'd buy some passes for to ski during their winter break, I have quite a bit of disposable income that I happily spend on recreation...yet besides the $475 early bird season pass (which I chose to not get this year in lieu of an Ikon pass and more variety), there is no ski product that Greek offers that is an adequate value to get me to open my wallet.

If they offered a special at the ski show this weekend for tickets at $50, I would have probably bought 10. Six I would use skiing with my kids, the other four I would have used skiing with one or two of my ski buddies. And I probably would have popped into Trax on most of those days.

One other point - as the multi-mountain passes continue to grow they will eat away at Greek's business from the out of town crowd. Why spend $700 for a Greek pass when you can get a multi-mountain pass for the same price and similar drive? The existence of those multi-mountain products limits Greek's ability to even raise their early bird pass pricing. They're stuck, because they have no strategy and they aren't forward thinking. I know they're on the Indy Pass, but that doesn't even fit what Greek aspires to be.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Hey Camp - any idea if Greek has an uphill policy?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Uphill pass 125 for the year.
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
tjf1967 wrote
Uphill pass 125 for the year.
Thanks - any idea where I can actually find that info online?
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
Have they made any improvements for this season?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Nov 16th

Campfire talk
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Snowmakers to crank up tonight
Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
I assume just to test?? Never seen anyone this south ever get serious about snow making till a couple weeks before Christmas
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
My understanding is they will continue to make POW as Ma Natch allows

Again, campfire talk is Nov 16th for WROD

At this point it's all rumor --- I'll pass along anything solid that I hear, for now that's all I got.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by scrundy
scrundy wrote
I assume just to test?? Never seen anyone this south ever get serious about snow making till a couple weeks before Christmas
South?  Cataloochee in NC opened up last Sunday.  Cat and Sugar will be open this weekend.

I expect snowguns to be on at all the VA and NC ski areas before Thanksgiving.  Snowshoe will open that week, per usual.  But will probably have more trails open than usual given that snowmaking started more than a week ago.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
It's a happy sight on the Ol' GP Webcam, that' for sure.  Guns are in place at the base of Iliad and on the Bunny Slope.  :)

Reply | Threaded
|

scrundy
In reply to this post by marznc
South of Vermont as it all generally starts there. I may be wrong but I cannot remember ever skiing by Thanksgiving at Greek. Killington, Mount Snow, even Stratton but never this far south. Correct me if I’m wrong
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
This post was updated on .

scrundy wrote
South of Vermont as it all generally starts there. I may be wrong but I cannot remember ever skiing by Thanksgiving at Greek. Killington, Mount Snow, even Stratton but never this far south. Correct me if I’m wrong
We always shoot for kicking off the season with a day trip white (black) friday. I think we've been successful 4 out of the last 5 years at either blue mt, greek (last year) or bell

mglmike will be glad to hear im a drunken posy and ususally just take a few ealry runs jsut for the helluvit then clear the slops for him and hit the bar, more about celebrating the beginning of the season than the actual skiing

gp 11.23.18
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Camp. what does "WROD" mean?  I guess that the last two are opening day.  What are "WR"?

Should I clear my calendar for my first bunny slope runs????

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
wonderpony wrote
Camp. what does "WROD" mean?  I guess that the last two are opening day.  What are "WR"?

Should I clear my calendar for my first bunny slope runs????

WP
Nope, not "opening day."  WROD stands for White Ribbon Of Death.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Which is what...?

A wedding?  
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Hooray for the google.   Got it.  My mom died this fall, so we have been talking about death just 'cuz.  I have been saying that what's going to take me out is being hit by some idiot out of control on the Bunny Slope.  Same reason I started wearing a helmet.  

See you soon!

WP
123456 ... 53