1049 messages Options
123456 ... 105
billyymc billyymc
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

campgottagopee wrote
I'm right there with ya bro

In no way is it anti skiing. I'd sooner think is more of a been there done that kinda thing and I don't need to do it anymore.
It's kind of funny that the discussion about Greek is more about not skiing than skiing. I've been trying to find a way to ski at Greek this year since I didn't get a season pass, and I really can't find one that makes sense. Later today I"m heading to Syracuse to the Ski Company sale/show up there, planning to buy discount tickets to Song, Gore, and Whiteface. They all have decent ticket offers good any day of the week. 

Greek has a four pack of weekday only tickets for $175, but the same four tickets for the weekend are $275...hardly a deal. Greek pulls the same crap with their 2 for 1 coupons that you can find once in a while (like at the Warren Miller movie night) - only good Monday through Friday. Apparently they're so crowded on weekends they don't need to provide incentive for people to show up...the lines get as long as 10 people deep at peak hours.

Greek is the closest ski area to my house, and this year I'll probably ski there less than anywhere else. Their priority has become non-locals who will stay at the lodge / waterpark.
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

billyymc wrote

It's kind of funny that the discussion about Greek is more about not skiing than skiing.  
I think you may have misunderstood the discussion. It's about me not feeling the pressure to "get after it" like I used to. It's not about Greek Peak nor is it their fault. Just kinda morphed into this discussion when Harv mentioned he wanted to hit Greek so he and I could meet.

I'll always be a GP homer. That's no doubt  

billyymc wrote
  Their priority has become non-locals who will stay at the lodge / waterpark.
It has to be. They need to keep that monster afloat. It was that way when it was initially built. At least now they cater to the locals on some level at the waterpark and hotel. Before they didn't want any of us near there. Remember?
Rj1972 Rj1972
Reply |

In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Greek has a four pack of weekday only tickets for $175, but the same four tickets for the weekend are $275...hardly a deal. Greek pulls the same crap with their 2 for 1 coupons that you can find once in a while (like at the Warren Miller movie night) - only good Monday through Friday. Apparently they're so crowded on weekends they don't need to provide incentive for people to show up...the lines get as long as 10 people deep at peak hours.
They have never been able to get their pricing right. They believe that if they charge more, they will make more money. I'm surprised they don't charge $500 for a four-pack of tickets.

They've increased their prices on seasonal locker rentals, as well. Prior to the bankruptcy, there was a long waiting list for lockers. Now, with all of the price increases, half of them go un-rented.
Reply |

Rj1972 wrote
billyymc wrote
They have never been able to get their pricing right. They believe that if they charge more, they will make more money. I'm surprised they don't charge $500 for a four-pack of tickets.

They've increased their prices on seasonal locker rentals, as well. Prior to the bankruptcy, there was a long waiting list for lockers. Now, with all of the price increases, half of them go un-rented.
Don't you think that if their pricing wasn't working they would change it?

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong, or for that matter not work.

They're still open and making yearly upgrades so something is working.
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
I think you may have misunderstood the discussion. It's about me
Man - I thought you were too old to be a millennial.

I understand where you are - I have been dialing back for several years. I take very few risks anymore. No more skiing in no fall zones, no more lone treks in the back country, etc. I have covered a lot of ground skiing and I feel very little need to push the envelope anymore.

BTW - I may have cause to be driving out your way as my eldest may move to Bing. Maybe grab a brew on the drive through if you’ll entertain. Would like meeting you in person.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
warp daddy warp daddy
Reply |

Wisdom : simply stated , so after several decades of first chair missions, dawn patrol drives in all kinds of weather and schlepping untold ski  shit across iced up lots , it. Is the wise person who says ." I have no more points to prove , i have no more undue risks to take ,NOW i opt for bluebird days and prime conditions ."

So Camp and all the others who have made this your new reality ....tis a wise move .

It aint about quantity. Eff that , relax and enjoy the rest of your life journey . Ergo i have officially RETIRED from downhilling ...my new reality is  XC on bluebird days and opting for the quiet and serenity of the woods .

It has been a great time on the vertical skating rinks , but its time to turn the page !

WD

billyymc billyymc
Reply |

In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote

Just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it wrong, or for that matter not work.

If their strategy is to have shorter lift lines, they're succeeding. You have to leave the bar to notice.
Reply |

billyymc wrote
campgottagopee wrote

If their strategy is to have shorter lift lines, they're succeeding. You have to leave the bar to notice.
Who are you trying to kid!? There haven't been any lift lines to speak of at GP since the 80's, unless you want to use the free day as an example.

Good grief.

By no means am I saying I agree with their pricing. What I'm saying is it must be working for them, so good on them. Heck, if passes were still 200 bucks I'd have one. Sadly they've priced themselves to the point where it doesn't work for me. Obviously it works for enough people that they aren't going to change it. Again, good for them. I hope they make bazillions!
Reply |

In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote

BTW - I may have cause to be driving out your way as my eldest may move to Bing. Maybe grab a brew on the drive through if you’ll entertain. Would like meeting you in person.
Of course!
PeeTex PeeTex
Reply |

campgottagopee wrote
PeeTex wrote

Of course!
Cool
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
123456 ... 105