Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak Conditions

gorgonzola
billyymc wrote
pro2860 wrote
billyymc wrote
Unfortunately it looks like the opening might be short-lived. They rush to open early (only to have to close when it warms up), but then never make a deep enough base to stay open past the first weekend in April.
Your optimism is refreshing...
Are you optimistic that the laws of thermodynamics are going to change?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
Are you optimistic that the laws of thermodynamics are going to change?
I am clinging to hope.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I just drove by the hill. They're pumping the POW!! I can honestly say I've never seen as big or as many whales as they have right now in such a short time of making snow.
It's nice to see their snowmaking investments are paying off.

It will be interesting to hear reports of opening weekend.

Hi pro!!! Glad winter pro is here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
I just drove by the hill. They're pumping the POW!! I can honestly say I've never seen as big or as many whales as they have right now in such a short time of making snow.
It's nice to see their snowmaking investments are paying off.
That is great to hear, as it's so hard to tell from the webcam.

I haven't hit the slopes yet this season, but am starting to get a bit excited.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Hill is lit up and they're still hammering the hill. Should go nicely with the 4 ma natch gave us.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
campgottagopee wrote
Hill is lit up and they're still hammering the hill. Should go nicely with the 4 ma natch gave us.
I just hope they keep those guns in place cranking out some snow in order to develop a base.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Ayep. Although I am super psyched to hopefully ski this weekend, I have a question. Why don't they wait for the ground to freeze before piling snow on it? Doesn't the snow act as an insulator and prevent the ground from freezing? Or is it not necessary to have frozen ground to create good skiing?

Obviously, I have no clue about creating a base for skiing. I do know that if the ground freezes, and you get the right kind of snow, you can trot your pony around on it. 😁

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I just hope they keep those guns in place cranking out some snow in order to develop a base.
Majority of them are permanent now. Wait until you see it. They did a damn good job.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by wonderpony
It been below freezing for the better of 5 days here in the Valley.
They're doing the right thing by being aggressive. There are major resorts that won't be open this weekend, GP will be.

FKNA!
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
Skied Greek Peak today with a friend.
Earliest skiing for me ever.
2 black diamonds, Iliad and Odyssey, and a cruiser green were open.
Season pass holders we met were all happy and said it was better conditions than they've had in the winter.
Sunny till when clouds came in around 1 or so.
No problems with lift but loading carpet wasn't on line.
People who were skiing or boarding there were smiling.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Thanks! I was trapped at work today. It was horrible! I lived through day by watching the webcam.

Poles are in the car, skis are by  door. I am so psyched!

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
In reply to this post by tirolski
tirolski wrote
How did they load? Put snow over the carpet and slide up like any normal lift? I don't see why they even keep the carpet - they don't run the lift any faster than they could without it.

I was there to drop off some skis for a binding mount and have lunch with a friend. The skiable areas looked pretty nice, and it didn't look to busy (this was around 2:00).
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Got there early on Friday 11/15/19. Didn't get first chair... But took a break in Trax at 11:06am... had 2 beers and a bowl of chili - was told because I was the first skiing customer of the ski season at Trax - I got a chip for a complimentary drink. Skiing was Great!
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I had a blast today! Two runs down the bunny slope, and four down Karyatis. Just enough to feel my thighs and back think about protesting. Conditions were great! I am happy that I was out of there by 11. Heading home, there was lots of traffic heading towards GP.  

The carpet has a layer of ice and snow over it, kinda like chair 5. And, like chair 5, you get hit in the calves by the chair. Greek peek bluebird day

BTW, Clark's in Dryden has Purity Eggnog, which is our favorite. 😁

Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
In reply to this post by billyymc
billyymc wrote
tirolski wrote
How did they load? Put snow over the carpet and slide up like any normal lift? I don't see why they even keep the carpet - they don't run the lift any faster than they could without it.
You had to pole up to an orange cone and then there was a minor whack to the calves. Sun went away and flat light and tired legs stopped me just before 2.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by wonderpony
Gladerunner and I broke the conveyor Friday. Probably about 520lbs between us, plus his 150lb buddy. They should've worked on the conveyor over the Summer, it was running herky jerky last year. Kudos to Greek for getting three trails up on 11/15. It skied alot better than it looked, firm, uneven, lots of death cookies. Heading up tomorrow for a morning session, gotta get the snows on my car, icy weather in the forecast, slid sideways into the curb on my way to work last week. 3 hrs on 3 trails is more than enough.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
Today was not as good, at least when I was there.  I started on Karyatis, but it was hard and full of shrapnel, so I aborted over the the bunny slope.  The snow there was lovely.  I spent an hour, working on my turns.  Last year, I had the good fortune to ride up with some instructors, one of which watched me ski down, and told me to make my turns rounder, and less angular.  This was a good day to play with that.  

I left my skis for a tune up and binding check, and that was that. They won't be ready for two weeks, but given the forecast, that's probably ok.

WP
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
wonderpony wrote
I left my skis for a tune up and binding check, and that was that. They won't be ready for two weeks, but given the forecast, that's probably ok.
Don't talk like that or someone will accuse you of not being an optimist.

Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Anyone know if Greek is still making snow at night this week? It doesn't look like it, but the base webcam is conveniently offline.
Reply | Threaded
|

wonderpony
I haven't seen anything. According to the snow phone, they will be grooming tonight.  At risk of being a pessimist :p, I just don't see how conditions will be good this weekend.  That said, I will be on the snow phone early, and either ski, do something else fun, or take a nap.  :)

WP
12345678 ... 53