classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
301 messages Options
1 ... 6789101112 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak---SOLD

gorgonzola
what they really should do is is flag the course for some future mtb trails - no better way to start layin' down singletrack than having a few motos burn 'er in
Reply | Threaded
|

snowshoe bunny
I personally would like to see mtb races at Greek Peak. Those folks don't rip up the slopes, bring friends and money, usually are nice folks and a little more eco conscious than snowmobilers, ATVers and motocross guys.
Lots of races in WNY at ski resorts and they always do well.. I can think of a lot of other things that would be a better fit than motocross at a ski resort.
I would still like to see some music events/festivals there. Homer Fine Arts doesn't do a summer program and Crtland reperatory is actually not in the city either but out at Little York I think. maybe they could hook up at GP for a performance or 2. Attended the Bluegrass fest at Homer this weekend and even in freezing rain there was a decent turnout. Pair that sort of thing with the wine fest or something. Skaneatles has a triathlon scheduled and Syracuse has one, why not GP?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
what they really should do is is flag the course for some future mtb trails - no better way to start layin' down singletrack than having a few motos burn 'er in
Agree!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by snowshoe bunny
snowshoe bunny wrote
I personally would like to see mtb races at Greek Peak. Those folks don't rip up the slopes, bring friends and money, usually are nice folks and a little more eco conscious than snowmobilers, ATVers and motocross guys.
Lots of races in WNY at ski resorts and they always do well.. I can think of a lot of other things that would be a better fit than motocross at a ski resort.
I would still like to see some music events/festivals there. Homer Fine Arts doesn't do a summer program and Crtland reperatory is actually not in the city either but out at Little York I think. maybe they could hook up at GP for a performance or 2. Attended the Bluegrass fest at Homer this weekend and even in freezing rain there was a decent turnout. Pair that sort of thing with the wine fest or something. Skaneatles has a triathlon scheduled and Syracuse has one, why not GP?
Uhm, motocross peeps are nice people too, they have friends and money----those bikes, atvs, trailers and trucks to pull them aint cheap. Believe it or not they're eco friendly too. They stay on the marked trail and respect the woods just as much as the next guy.

GP has a long history w/ dirt bikers. Some of the best skiers on that hill are ex-racers, some even were sponsored by GP/Big Al. Heck, ove by chair 5 there used to be a track that they would practice on----vroom, vroom
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Little Snow Ridge has a music festival called the moe.down and it looks like they get a great turnout
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
from FB

"We are holding a Press Conference Thursday at 11:00am at the base of the mtn; announcing details of Three Million Dollar in improvements to the ski area...
...join in the excitement!!"

Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by snowshoe bunny
snowshoe bunny wrote
I personally would like to see mtb races at Greek Peak. ... like to see some music events/festivals there
THIS FTW!!!!

Bear creek down here has a lot in common with what greek is and should be as far as a 4 season resort - they just hosted a big MASS race and have a nice concert series. the only differneces being bc has NO terrain but a huge population base
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
MEDIA ADVISORY

Jessica Sloma
Greek Peak Mountain Resort & Hope Lake Lodge
JessicaSloma13@gmail.com

Greek Peak Mountain Resort to Announce Three Million Dollar in Capital Improvements

Press Conference Held on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 11:00 am

10 JUNE 13 (Cortland, NY) Greek Peak Mountain Resort will announce details of long awaited improvements to the ski resort. New owners of Greek Peak Mountain Resort, John Meier and Marc Stemerman, are investing over 3 million dollars in capital improvements, which long-time skiers and boarders have demanded for years.

The announcement will include an improvement which has not been made at Greek Peak Mountain Resort in over 35 years.

Complete details of the multi-improvement campaign will be announced at the press conference on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 11:00 am. The press conference will be held at the base of the mountain; 2000 NYS Rte 392, Cortland, NY 13045.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Snow, do you know if the $3M is being spent this summer, or is this a multi-year Al Kryger style project?  You mentioned the new lift, but what else?  Given the statement of an improvement not made in over 35 years, one might speculate a snowmaking or Food and Beverage upgrade.  Personally, I wish they would pull both 1 and 1A chairs out, and put the new quad where 1 is currently located. With a quad, they will never run 1.  Using 1's location would negate us having to climb up to ski the trails to the right of 1.

I also agree that a festival series would be much welcomed.  They need to showcase the place to both skiers and non-skiers, alike.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rj1972 wrote
Snow, do you know if the $3M is being spent this summer, or is this a multi-year Al Kryger style project?  You mentioned the new lift, but what else?  Given the statement of an improvement not made in over 35 years, one might speculate a snowmaking or Food and Beverage upgrade.  Personally, I wish they would pull both 1 and 1A chairs out, and put the new quad where 1 is currently located. With a quad, they will never run 1.  Using 1's location would negate us having to climb up to ski the trails to the right of 1.

I also agree that a festival series would be much welcomed.  They need to showcase the place to both skiers and non-skiers, alike.
agree 100%

if it's gonna be a quad get rid of 1a and put it where 1 is, just makes sense.

music festivals would be killa---we have some GREAT local bands that would kick ass!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

snowshoe bunny
yeah, how about more stuff for those of us who don't ski? I love festivals, snowshoeing, bicycling. How about a biathlon?
Maybe goofy boat races on the lake? Surely, there have to be a million other things that would fit and bring families (please, not stoners or bike gangs like at Myrtle Beach Race week) to enjoy the great outdoors together. What are other ski resorts doing? Maybe attracting some new age types, organic, folk loving peace types? What about the ultramarathon they had this weekend at Ithaca (Robert Treman and Buttermilk Falls)? What about things like that?
Maybe combining events could help too, like a music event with a sporting event.
Reply | Threaded
|

arlaquinn
They have the Virgilcrest Ultra. September 21-22, 2013
Pretty amazing to watch the 100 mile runners cross the finish line. www.virgilcrestultras.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

snowshoe bunny
ouch!
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by Rj1972
The lift alone may cost 3 million..
Reply | Threaded
|

snowshoe bunny
while I agree they need a lift since some of those are 50 years old, 3 million could be stretched a lot of different ways. I guess I would be looking for bang for the buck, or some improvements that would actually help to bring in more revenue.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
The mountain needs so darn much basic maintenance.  Lift painting, telephone pole light repairs, etc.  While these little things make a difference, it's unfortunate that the big things like new lifts and trails are what gets the public's attention.  They could also spend a million bucks on a couple of new snow cats, but the public won't view this as anything tangible.  Look what happened when Mount Snow installed hundreds of tower fan guns. The public shrugged it off and asked when new chairs were going in.  

The big albatros is the Lodge.  Hopefully Dwayne can figure out how to market it off-season.  Say what you will about the Adventure Center, but Al and Wes were thinking in the right direction in terms of year-round activities. I personally wouldn't have gone the direction of the $3.5M Adventure Center, but they certainly couldn't have raised the capital to build a golf course.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by pro2860
Yes, Pro, ten years ago you could have purchased a HSQ for about $3-4M, and a FQ for under $1M, but lift costs have skyrocketed due to the consolidation of the industry.  You really only have Doppelmayr and Leitner remaining.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
Yes those Guns that Mount Snow put in are so worth the money. Hunter in the Catskills first came up with them and they can make great powder. I love those guns and hopefully Greeek installs them.
Scotty
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Rj1972 wrote
Look what happened when Mount Snow installed hundreds of tower fan guns. The public shrugged it off and asked when new chairs were going in.
Us Gore skiers, we LOOVE the new guns.  
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
This post was updated on .
Harvey, it's too bad Schumer didn't convince the state to add GP to their ski area portfolio, although I have a feeling the state would prefer not to be in the ski business.

Yes, I would love to see a major snowmaking overhaul so that it doesn't take a week or more to open a single trail.  It will be interesting to see what they do with their five new HKD guns.  Assuming they stagger them down the Elesian Fields, I wonder if their existing snowmaking water pipes can handle that capacity.  I believe the put out something like 200-300 GPM.
1 ... 6789101112 ... 16