classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
301 messages Options
1 ... 891011121314 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak---SOLD

gorgonzola
Exactly my point, flume and hardy road trails had no adverse effect on whiteface bike park....... Mtb is just another piece of the pie, if anyone thinks they're going to make bookoo bucks on dh they're delusional but it definitely augments and has a place in a 4 season venue, just like music festivals. hopefully greek capitalizes on these.

Get the (pungi) stick out if your ass skimore, snow could be flying by the end of the month!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
gorgonzola wrote
Exactly my point, flume and hardy road trails had no adverse effect on whiteface bike park
I disputed the heavily investing statement
Reply | Threaded
|

Bunson11
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
I agree that they are not going to make huge money on Mtn biking alone but if your going to invest like they have to create a four season resort...why not add lift served Mtn biking to the property.  Like I said before most of us in upstate have a longer riding season than skiing season.  Beers and a swim pass would easily become part of my summer routine after riding...it's all extra revenue.  Skiing is only so good in this section of the state.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by snowshoe bunny
snowshoe bunny wrote
hiked there this weekend. Very slow going with the improvements. The restaurant is nowhere near done, lots of heavy equipment around the base, digging, grading, etc., lots of heavy pipe laying around, quad lift months from being ready, lots of mowing to be done. I never actually see people "working" there on these things. I see the adventure center busy, the hotel from time to time with lots of out of town families, the lake very rarely is use. They have a very long way to go and I don't know if even the restaurant/quad lift will be ready in time for winter.

What a negative Nancy---geesh

You were there on the weekend so of course you wont see people working, they're off hiking somewhere too---get it??

I was there yesterday, prolly saw 15 people working their asses off, all kinds of improvements in motion

Also, FWIW, there's no need for a lot of mowing at a ski hill. You want the grass to be long heading into winter as it acts as insulation between the snow and the warm earth.

There's plenty of time left. These guys own and run construction companys, pretty sure they know what the hell they're doing.

Bottom line?!?!.......Proof is in the puddin'----in 60 days we'll all get the chance to eat it and then we can discuss how much we like it. It's been 15 - 20 years since we've had any on hill improvements, so any puddin' at this point is welcome!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm willing to bet an afternoon of drinking at Traxx that by this time next year we'll have DH mtn biking at GP. I'll buy for you and your crew if I lose, if you lose you have to buy for me and my crew some sunday after the NASTAR fun run. Oh, and we can sit there a looooooong time

Any takers??

Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Geez - the hold-up before installing the lift towers, is that they are waiting for the concrete foundations to properly cure first. Better to do things right.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
gorgonzola wrote
Exactly my point, flume and hardy road trails had no adverse effect on whiteface bike park
I disputed the heavily investing statement
with bike parks "heavily investing" can mean rider sweat equity and volunteer/ rake and ride days s much as mountain investment. not sure where else you find an available resource or passionate group of peeps as trail builders. I would think  the mountain would have minimal investment to have someone to run it,  some brackets to hang bikes off the chairs, hopefully a visit from dirt sculpt dave, earth moving equipment and trail maintenance, some promotional cost, a little signage, rental fleet, maybe a timing system. can't speak to any additional insurance/indemnification costs.

Greek should really be looking for someone to mange their terrain park and set up a bike park for next season!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
  Downhill MTB at Greek would be sweet. A combo ski/ride season's pass would be cool too. If it ever happens, I'll have to find work, and lodging, closer to the hill, I'd go broke driving up there and back. How do Chevy Volts handle cold weather?
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
It's good to hear that people are out working on the mountain.  

BTW, with respect to the snowmaking pond improvement, that is the result of the flood.  Unfortunately, the owners forgot to add it to their insurance rider when they bought the place.  As such, when the flood destroyed the pond, it wasn't insured.  Even with their $50K deductible on the rest of their assets, they are having to foot the entire bill for the pond re-build.  That's a shame, as I'm sure they could have used the money elsewhere.

Yes, I do believe mountain biking will be at Greek before we know it, along with a concert series.  Traxx will not survive year round without a draw.  In addition, they can't keep marketing the Lodge through Groupon, as that is a losing proposition.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
hmmmmm just saw in fb no picnic this year due to all the work going on!

think were headed up this weekend for our annual anniversary wine trail pilgrimage - gonna mix it up a little and stay at gp and do Cayuga instead of the usual Watkins Glen/ Seneca thang. Anything fun happenin' this weekend in  Cortland or Ithaca worth checking out?

Gonna miss roosterfish brewing but hollenbach's will help make up for it!
Reply | Threaded
|

arlaquinn
This post was updated on .
Apple Harvest Fest in Ithaca http://www.downtownithaca.com/events/view/27th-annual-downtown-ithaca-apple-harvest-festival.html or if you like sporting events SUNY Cortland football and soccer and Cornell football all have home games this weekend
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
G, I saw that too. Totally sux but kinda makes sense, the recent floods really set some folks back on their heels....I know it did me!!

Ten Man Push boys are in TX so they aint playing, or at least not in NY. Def hit Hollenbecks, I think the Pumpkin Fest is this weekend and that's always a good time, Cortland Beer Company (mmmmmm, beer) will be there so you know it will be good.

You can always come to camp Sunday and split wood!! There's beer there too

Don't know about Ithaca, too many weirdooooos over there fer me
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
thx for the suggestions, its anniversary weekend so splittin wood, football or mtb are most likely out...thinking about checking out Cortland brewing tomorrow - any good restaurant recommendations in Cortland?

probably wouldn't hit the picnic this year anyways - to be honest its not as fun as the old days before the adventure center
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
gorgonzola wrote
thx for the suggestions, its anniversary weekend so splittin wood,  

Damn spiffy---no chicks allowed at camp

gorgonzola wrote
 ...thinking about checking out Cortland brewing tomorrow - any good restaurant recommendations in Cortland?

CBC is a fun time, def check it out. Iffin you want a good sit down meal check out the Green Arch, for good pub grub  Central City or Brix. Folks at the Lodge can give you directions.....you'll need reservations at the Green Arch (best Old Fashions you'll get ANYWHERE)

gorgonzola wrote

probably wouldn't hit the picnic this year anyways - to be honest its not as fun as the old days before the adventure center

TRUTH!!! I have a feeling the new boys are gonna change that. Bet next year is BOSS!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Chatiemac
Cayuga Wine Trail...... Don't miss Americana, Cayuga Ridge or Cobblestone.   Some of the "less fancy" places are actually the better places.   If you're on the East Shore give the elderberry wines at Dill Run a try.    Also don't miss Hosmer's on the West Shore.  Owners Tunker and Maron are great people and are both coaches at Song Mt.
Ski the East
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Do we know if the lift towers arrived yet?  We still have two months, but I'm getting anxious.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Which pond got blown out by the flood? The pond half-way up the hill to the far side of Elysian fields or the smaller pond/ mini-resovoir located down near the beginning of lift 4?
Reply | Threaded
|

arlaquinn
Pump house at the base not damming up - near chair 1
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Formwork in place for the new dam, water being diverted. Orion's coming along, framing and rough in close to complete, drywall loaded. Looks like it will be nice. Lot's of work to do, should be close! No sign of lift towers...

Nice weekend in cny.... A little zip lining, cortland beer company and acorn grill Friday. Saturday doughnuts and horseradish curds for the road at hollenbecks. hit Americana, bellwether cider, hosmer, Lucas, and Cayuga ridge winery's before heading back to chill at the lodge. Place was hopping...
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Thanks for the update.
1 ... 891011121314 ... 16