1 ... 78910111213 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak---SOLD

Harvey
Administrator
Rj...

The high efficiency HKD guns don't require a ton of water or air.  They actually don't make that much snow either but they maximize SNOW PER DOLLAR. And they work better at marginal temps (28º) than standard Ratniks.

The key is to go after a grant from NiMo or whoever your electric utility is.  Gore got $600,000 in
HKD guns for half that with an energy grant. Those guns will pay for themselves in 2-4 years depending on how you figure it. It's made a big difference in early season trail count.

These days GM'ing in the east is in part about workin it. Setting up smart contracts for buying electricity and figuring out how to be energy efficient.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by snowshoe bunny
snowshoe bunny wrote
yeah, how about more stuff for those of us who don't ski? I love festivals, snowshoeing, bicycling. How about a biathlon?
Maybe goofy boat races on the lake? Surely, there have to be a million other things that would fit and bring families (please, not stoners or bike gangs like at Myrtle Beach Race week) to enjoy the great outdoors together. What are other ski resorts doing? Maybe attracting some new age types, organic, folk loving peace types? What about the ultramarathon they had this weekend at Ithaca (Robert Treman and Buttermilk Falls)? What about things like that?
Maybe combining events could help too, like a music event with a sporting event.
Right, cause they aren't "stoners"----geez. your lucky I'm gettin soft in my old age
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
Rj1972 wrote
Look what happened when Mount Snow installed hundreds of tower fan guns. The public shrugged it off and asked when new chairs were going in.
Us Gore skiers, we LOOVE the new guns.  
I'm with ya Harv. I'd prefer new guns over a new lift for this year in a heart beat.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Harvey, thanks for the information on the HKD's and Gore. I love it when I learn something new.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Rj1972 wrote
Harvey, thanks for the information on the HKD's and Gore. I love it when I learn something new.
Very cool you are welcome.

I learned a lot about this from discussions with Mike Pratt - the GM at Gore.  He taught me a great deal.
Reply | Threaded
|

snowshoe bunny
"The new owners of Greek Peak Mountain Resort, John Meier and Marc Steinman earlier today announced some improvements to the ski area.

Among those improvements is a quad chair to replace chair 1A, which is a double chair. Chair 1 will be staying for now. The new quad chair will cost $2 Million dollars and will be ready for this upcoming ski season. The quad chair will be the only one of its kind in Central New York. Orion’s Pub will also be getting completely redone.

This is a breaking news story and will be updated!"
Reply | Threaded
|

Backountrygirl
I heard about a deck being built someplace and saw lots of construction going on yesterday.... All looks good for this time of year.... Does anyone know what their snow making equipment is?  Or what it's capacity is?  Seems to me with unpredictable (mild) weather, that would be a valid investment as well....  There is always enough moisture...  Who does'nt want to ski & ride in 35 degrees?  : )
many leaves, one tree.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
BackCountry, Yes, their snowmaking is in great need of an upgrade.  However, the cost of doing it right is quite high.  The goal for this season is to upgrade the pipes and guns on the Iliad.  GP actually won (sort of) some high efficiency guns from HDK, so that will help.  My guess is that they will upgrade the balance of the mountain over the next few years.

The challenge is that so much needs to be done, and the new owners certainly can't justify doing it all over night.  These are small business owners, so all of the upgrades this year are via loans.  It will take time, but hopefully Mother Nature cooperates and we have some good seasons for the owners.

Reply | Threaded
|

Backountrygirl
Agreed- It's an enormous operation now!  I remember it from living in the area 15 years ago and just visited the other day... The staff is wonderful at the hotel and all of the new facilities were beautiful!  I am wishing for snow and hoping for the best for them:)
As far as the snow making- something is sure better than nothing:)
many leaves, one tree.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Any update on the improvements, particularly the snowmaking?  I know they are waiting for the lift towers to arrive, but I haven't been in the area for a few weeks, and was wondering what is happening.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bunson11
Personally...I think if Greek Peak wants to become a successful 4season resort they should invest heavily in Mtn Biking terrain.  I would buy a summer pass to ride lifts and progressive terrain there...I'm guessing so would many other folks.  Winter is always a viable season in cny but they need to diversify more.  Unfortunately i spend more time on my bike than my skis every year...also i dont think mtn bikes travel as well as skis.  What I mean is develop another good place for people to ride in w/o having to travel to VT & it will attract folks from NJ, PA & Metro NY.  snow making???  How about FLOW Making!  
Reply | Threaded
|

snowshoe bunny
hiked there this weekend. Very slow going with the improvements. The restaurant is nowhere near done, lots of heavy equipment around the base, digging, grading, etc., lots of heavy pipe laying around, quad lift months from being ready, lots of mowing to be done. I never actually see people "working" there on these things. I see the adventure center busy, the hotel from time to time with lots of out of town families, the lake very rarely is use. They have a very long way to go and I don't know if even the restaurant/quad lift will be ready in time for winter.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Rj1972 wrote
Any update on the improvements, particularly the snowmaking?  I know they are waiting for the lift towers to arrive, but I haven't been in the area for a few weeks, and was wondering what is happening.
Got a note from MS this am. Maybe this thread is on the radar.

Improvements to snowmaking:

• 4-brand new state of the art compressors to more than double our air output
• 2200LF- 8” ductile water pipe
• (3) New SMI Big Snow Fan guns
• (35) New High Efficiency Tower Snowmakers HKD/Ratnik
• 600,000 Brand New Groomer to push all our new capacity around

This is all on property or in transit. All we need is the cold weather and we are ready to go.

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Bunson11
Bunson11 wrote
Personally...I think if Greek Peak wants to become a successful 4season resort they should invest heavily in Mtn Biking terrain.  
Seems like a losing proposition with Shindagin hollow around the corner
Reply | Threaded
|

where's the snow
So happy to hear about the snow making upgrades!  Got my season pass so ready for the season to start!
Reply | Threaded
|

snowshoe bunny
saw the pipe and the compressors there this weekend. But, delivery is the easy part. That stuff all has to be installed, dug out, laid in, etc.That is a lot of work. The towers are not up either, cable strung. December is right around the bend.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Bunson11 wrote
Personally...I think if Greek Peak wants to become a successful 4season resort they should invest heavily in Mtn Biking terrain.  
Seems like a losing proposition with Shindagin hollow around the corner
Two different animals altogether, I  think great local trails and a good bike park compliment each other.

It does down here in pA with both Bear Creek and Blue Mountain. Bear Creek only has xc and requires a trail pass but hosts lots of local, regional and national race events. Blue has a successful lift assisted bike park and has regional and local race events. Both are within a few miles of tons awesome destination worthy trails in the Lehigh Valley and Poconos!

Look at Whiteface/ wilmington trail network...
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
Thanks for the update on the snowmaking.  The new air compressors are great news, assuming the old pipes can handle it.  It will be years before they can replace all of their snowmaking systems, but they sound like they are off to a great start.  I'm assuming the new piping is for the Illiad.

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
Look at Whiteface/ wilmington trail network...
WF summer revenue.

Greek better also put in a gondola

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by snowshoe bunny
snowshoe bunny wrote
 quad lift months from being ready
Did you anticipate riding it in the next  2 months
1 ... 78910111213 ... 16