classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
301 messages Options
1 ... 111213141516
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak---SOLD

gorgonzola
haha remember all trail ratings are relative to that hill!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by where's the snow
where's the snow wrote
Can anyone post pictures of the new glade? I hear its gonna be a double black...I didnt think that was possible on our little hill.

It aint---that's just SOOOOOOOO silly

I was hoping nobody would bring that up

I truly hope they don't try and market that crap....
Reply | Threaded
|

where's the snow
Greek has a Facebook post that says something along the lines of "central ny first double black glade" ive skied those woods uncleared definitely not worthy of double black badge. Was wondering if there was a hidden cliff drop or something like that.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
where's the snow wrote
Greek has a Facebook post that says something along the lines of "central ny first double black glade" ive skied those woods uncleared definitely not worthy of double black badge. Was wondering if there was a hidden cliff drop or something like that.

No cliff drop

Boo sleeps in there....Boo droppings is what makes it dbl black
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
haha remember all trail ratings are relative to that hill!
True.

Some hills call everything in the trees black (I agree with this).

The only mountain that I've ever seen rate glades below that is Stratton.  While that is really useful information if you are learning trees... I wouldn't want to be the owner or gm facing a lawyer on that when someone got hurt.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Nice article in the Ithaca Journal about the new ownership and their commitment to  on-hill activities

http://www.ithacajournal.com/article/20131018/NEWS01/310180091/Greek-Peak-weathers-summer-rain-eyes-winter
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
This post was updated on .
FYI, the new quad is going to be named the Vision Xpress.  Not sure why they insist on continuing to mislead people into thinking it is truly an express lift.  Also, where did the "Vision" part come from?  I guess all of the upgrades are part of John and Marc's vision.

Anyway, they also reclassified the Olympian, Hercules, and all the glades trails,  as double black diamonds.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
They should simply call the new lift "NOT EFFIN 1A"

good gawd i hated that lift!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by Rj1972
I'm not sure why every little thing has to be put under the microscope and criticized. The new lift is called an express..so what? Compared to what was there it will be an express! I'm sure it will get us to the top of our 750' vertical in no time. To see some improvements finally happening is exciting and appreciated!

As for reclassifying trails, I'm all for it if it keeps people off that don't belong there..
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
pro2860 wrote
I'm not sure why every little thing has to be put under the microscope and criticized. The new lift is called an express..so what? Compared to what was there it will be an express! I'm sure it will get us to the top of our 750' vertical in no time. To see some improvements finally happening is exciting and appreciated!

As for reclassifying trails, I'm all for it if it keeps people off that don't belong there..

Right on bud

had snow on my truck this morning at the house---party is almost here

p.s. it's 900 vert, says so on the trail map, or is it 1000
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Snow in dem dare hills.....stolen from GP FB

Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
campgottagopee wrote
Snow in dem dare hills.....stolen from GP FB

Sweet, looks purtty, bring it on baby!

campgottagopee wrote
They should simply call the new lift "NOT EFFIN 1A"

good gawd i hated that lift!!!
Ha, the only thing I liked about 1A is you could sit sideways to put your back to the wind while riding solo. You can't do it on 1, there's a bar in the way that won't allow you to get your feet in the right place. I do it on 4 too, usually to face the sun. Yes, I have no friends.
Reply | Threaded
|

Backountrygirl
In reply to this post by pro2860
I know- right??  Good attitude!!  I think we are really lucky just to have a property with that set of standards in the area.  Yes, it costs more, but look at what you are paying for- If you want that ambiance, the things that create it all cost money- the stone work, giant fire places, new restaurants....  The service seemed to be at the level of the big resorts that I have worked for... It is a very nice property.  period.  Any improvements are just bonus.  If you don't like it, go to Togg or Song..... it's not like there aren't options....
I think it's great!  and how many people do they employ??? That is money being infused into our economy....  

Snow pic is GREAT!! Thank you!!!
many leaves, one tree.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
It's Official! The new lift is a "HIGH SPEED QUAD!! Or rather that's what is stated in a 2 column by 3" ad in today's Press & Sun-Bulletin. (Not a lie - no mention of High Speed DETACHABLE Quad... just a few may be misled and expect to ride up in 3 minutes flat).
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
OK, Pro, I didn't realize the sensitive nature of my comments.  My apologies if my negativity regarding the owners calling the new quad an "Xpress" quad offended you.  I guess there is nothing misleading about that type of marketing.

I guess I shouldn't mention the pipe that sprung a leak under the lobby of HLL.  They are now going to have to reroute their water line, as digging up the lobby is not a viable option.  Was that too negative of a comment by me?

On an aside, I was at Killington today.  What a blast!  It got crowded, but that was to be expected.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Rj1972 wrote
I was at Killington today.  What a blast!  It got crowded, but that was to be expected.
My kingdom for a pic or 3 in the Killy conditions thread!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by Rj1972
Sorry...I did'nt mean to hurt your feelings
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
It's all good, Pro.

I hit the Beast again this morning.  They had Upper Great Northern open, so that helped a bit.  Rime was beautifully groomed, and held up fairly well.  I called it quits around 1:00.  Honestly, my legs had enough.  I'm just finishing lunch and will then head back home.

Sorry, no pic's.  I had all I could do to stand upright and dodge the other skiers.

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Rj1972 wrote
I was at Killington today.  What a blast!  It got crowded, but that was to be expected.
My kingdom for a pic or 3 in the Killy conditions thread!
I was there today 10/27/13.  Trip report with pictures going up later this evening or tomorrow.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
I skied Saturday and Sunday at Killington, but headed to GP Sunday evening to do some hiking today. Many of the schools had a three day weekend due to the holiday, so two days of Killington was plenty.

Things are moving along with construction at GP, albeit quite a bit of work in progress.  They still are working on the snowmaking lines up the Iliad, and quite a bit of pipe is still to be installed.  The new two story pump house is coming along, and they are continuing work on the pond and dam.  A new wider footbridge was to be installed, but it looks like the old one was simply put back in place.  Not a tremendous amount of progress on Trax since my last visit.  The lift cable arrived, but they are waiting for the top and bottom terminals.  All the fixed grip chairs are assembled and ready to be hung on the high speed line.  HaHa!  I will say that the galvanized lift towers really brighten up the place.  It doesn't appear as though they painted any of the other lifts, and I forgot to look at the bull wheel at the top of 1, which desperately needed some painting.   Flooring is completed in most of the buildings.  They used a recycled rubber flooring rather than carpeting (similar to what is used in ice skating arenas) so it should wear much better than carpeting.  The restrooms in the Katalima were gutted and are being renovated.

As with most construction projects, contractors will begin to kick it into high gear once they get down to the wire.  Considering that snowmaking will likely begin in three weeks or so, hopefully projects can be checked off the completion list shortly.
1 ... 111213141516