classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
301 messages Options
1 ... 10111213141516
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Greek Peak---SOLD

Rj1972
I hadn't heard about a Thanksgiving opening for Trax, but they could very well make it, as we still have a little over a month.  Things move fairly quickly when contractors get down to the wire.  Nearly everything is roughed in, and the fireplace is in place.  I believe it's a gas fireplace.  The columns in the restaurant are covered with stone and drywall is up.  They still have quite a bit of more stonework to do, flooring, windows, fixtures, wall covering, and so on need to be done.

Just a clarification, the lift towers are scheduled to arrive within the next two weeks.  I did not mean to imply that they were going to be installed within two weeks.

Also, paving needs to still be done by the footbridge and welcome center, but my guess is that this will be one of the last things to be accomplished, as there is heavy equipment everywhere.

Finally, there is still a boatload of snowmaking piping lying around, so that will go somewhere.  Maybe on the lower portion of the Iliad??  I found it interesting that some of the new pipe was installed on skiers left of the Iliad above the mid-way road.

I was about ready to hop on a plane two days ago and hit opening day at A-Basin, but seeing the flurry of activity at GP satisfied my needs for now.  
Reply | Threaded
|

parris
Thanks for the updates!  With them taking out the tables upstairs is there talk about where that area might be relocated?  It may be really off base but would it make sense for them to have bought more snowmaking pipe than they would need for this season with an eye toward replacing/adding more next summer?  I could and probably am totally wrong but if there's some kind of discount for purchasing X amount of pipe the owners from what they're doing with the hill may be looking toward the future expansion or at least updating what's in place.  Again just a thought but I'm getting pretty stoked with the news :) !
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
No, I haven't heard anything about where the brown bag area might be relocated to.  Maybe the Taverna will accommodate the cafeteria and brown bag crowds.

In terms of the piping, there is quite a bit at the base area.  Of course, that may go fast once they continue laying it.  As I said, I've never seen anything like this pipe.  It's absolutely beautiful, and given that they ordered it from Austria, it couldn't have been cheap.  It certainly isn't the snowmaking pipe that I'm used to seeing.  Each section locks into the previous section, with locking mechanisms and pre-installed gaskets.
Reply | Threaded
|

parris
Do you have any photos of the pipe or know the manufacturer?  It sounds pretty slick.
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Any chance the new ductile Austrian snowmaking pipe looks anything like this... can't be cheap

Reply | Threaded
|

parris
After I posted the question last night I did a search and there's a company out of Sweden that makes pipe for many different applications.  I don't know if it's the same stuff that's at Greek but the company name is Alvenius.  The pipe is machined on each end with a flange that a gasket goes over then there's a clamp that goes over the assembly.  It appears to be pretty nice stuff to a layperson but then again just about all web pages from manufacturers make their stuff look good. :)
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
isn't there a law limiting greek peek discussion? what's next oak mountain?
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Laying pipe at GP? Can we merge this with the "cougar" thread?  Too much talk about GP? Come on man, GP rules, destination resort.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by frk
frk wrote
Isn't it great

Wait until there's snow

just like Corhead, GP rocks!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Camp, what's up with the knee? Did you get it re-repaired? I hope they get all this work done at GP, season's right around the corner! Not another "new lift let-down", I hope.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by frk
frk wrote

I  can't believe it's almost Halloween and there is no 30-page thread on Gore snowmaking. Kind of a relief really.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Cornhead
Cornhead wrote
Camp, what's up with the knee? Did you get it re-repaired? I hope they get all this work done at GP, season's right around the corner! Not another "new lift let-down", I hope.
Still have the same old POS knee I had last year, it works tho, for now any_A_ways.

Drove thru yesterday, dudes are bustin their asses to get this done---concrete trucks all over the place, dump trucks, tractors, cranes...you name it they got it goin on

I too hope we don't have yet another let-down....hell, how can we??? 1A is effin GONE!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

parris
^THIS!!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Good luck, I hope you're able to ski on it OK. Really blows the repair didn't work.  Can't wait to get back on the slopes.

Harvey Road, the Greek Peak, and other NYS ski resorts blog. Would you please change the banner Harv?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Thanks. It's actually better this year than last...been riding bike....too much going on right now to get it fixed again..prolly a couple years away from that crap
Reply | Threaded
|

Rj1972
In reply to this post by Cornhead
I can't believe I'm wasting brain cells trying to recall what the darn pipe looked like.  What I recall is that the interior of the pipe was coated in a white substance that almost seemed like a porcelain, but likely wasn't.  Each section of pipe had plastic caps on their ends to project them, and the interior had rubber gaskets pre-installed.  There were additional skids that had bags of locking mechanisms in them.  I was told that the pipe came from Austria, but it very well could have come from Sweden.  I do know that it shipped via ocean freight on the Hanjin Phoenix into NY.  It's rather ironic that I recall the name of the ship, but little else.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
From FB...look-E what has arrived

Reply | Threaded
|

parris
Hmm I wonder if the owners will pipe creaky chair sounds at the lift for those who might actually miss the old 1a... :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Backountrygirl
very nice!  Loving all the positive!  
many leaves, one tree.
Reply | Threaded
|

where's the snow
Can anyone post pictures of the new glade? I hear its gonna be a double black...I didnt think that was possible on our little hill.
1 ... 10111213141516