169 messages Options
1 ... 3456789
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Idea to Improve Ski Bowl Usage at Gore

Spongeworthy
snoloco wrote
I never thought that it would be likely for North Creek to fund the Ski Bowl's snowmaking.  If it was open from say, December 26 to the last Sunday in March, I definitely think that it would help North Creek's economy.  If the businesses in North Creek were able to work together to promote town access from the Ski Bowl, it would help both the Ski Bowl and the economy in North Creek.  I would much rather ski down to the bowl at the end of the day and get something to eat in town than battling the hoards of people trying to get out of the main lot.  However, since the Ski Bowl does not open reliably on a set schedule, I have never parked there, even though I ski there whenever I have the chance.
The local businesses (especially the ones run by Mike Bowers) have REALLY tried to get this done. The sad reality is that businesses in North Creek fail at an alarming rate. One of the best reasons to go into town closed three years ago. There just aren't enough good weeks in a 52-week year to make a go of it, and Gore has done a lousy job promoting North Creek. Even after introducing out-of-town friends to the charms of North Creek, getting them to go into town at the end of a ski day is like pulling teeth.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Spongeworthy wrote
 Even after introducing out-of-town friends to the charms of North Creek, getting them to go into town at the end of a ski day is like pulling teeth.
And we all know that there aren't that many teeth in North Creek...
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
witch hobble wrote
Old and in the way!
Congratulations on being the first person to ever call me old!
You get used to it eventually.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I chose the 19 awesome deserted runs over the 40 crowded runs.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I have said in the past how the Ski Bowl expansion has not exactly worked out well.  I think that they would have been better off not building it and focusing on improving the rest of the mountain first, but we have it, so we may as well think of ways to use it.
The Ski Bowl was packed again today.

I think they should put a kitchen in at the base. If they'd had one today, we wouldn't have ventured past Burnt Ridge.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Harvey wrote
I think they should put a kitchen in at the base.

It seems like the Ski Bowl isn't open enough to sustain a full kitchen crew. How are you going to get extra people who want to work 4 weeks of the season.

It's a great idea, but I think you are going to have to find a way to utilize it for more than the few weeks that it is open. Granted, the Ski Bowl has technically been open for a while now, but the Hudson chair hasnt, and parts of the interconnect still rely on natural snow, and aren't always open. I think.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
True. I'm now of the mind that the Ski Bowl is a great addition to Gore. A true gem in the rough. Right now it's also scoring extra stoke points as an escape from the crowds. Woo Hoo !!

If it ever gets proper snowmaking and food like Harv suggests, BR and SB, awesome pods in and of itself.

NC Peeps had a great idea in the SB. Well done !

Now finish the snowmaking system ORDA !!!!

Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
All trails at the ski bowl have snow making , that is whythey are open.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Well, let me clarify,,the connection trails don't (?), which is vital. And the Bowl itself rarely gets open,,,,, insufficient snowmaking money.

This needs to be addressed with the new money coming.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Maybe just a grill, freezer and sink. Enough to make an egg Mc muffin.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
In reply to this post by Snowballs
I like the connection but I would take the Ski Bowl on it's own. Nice old school, especially with 46er and Hudson. And others?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Invite local food trucks to come in and serve customers.  Aunch of these have sprung up around the northern daks and they go to farmers markets, breweries etc.  would be a good fit for Sno bowl.

Orda would never think of it though.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by BRLKED
BRLKED wrote
All trails at the ski bowl have snow making , that is whythey are open.
Incorrect. Moxham does not have snowmaking yet. The water line runs a little more than halfway up, but the airline still needs to be installed.
Also, there are significant portions of PV that don't have any lines.

The bowl t his weekend was by far the busiest that it has ever been, with the addition of the snowmaking and grooming for 46R as well as the the XC stadium, it's pretty cool to see the crowds enjoying my home
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Invite local food trucks to come in and serve customers...  would be a good fit for Sno bowl.
That's actually a really good idea.  It would work at a lot of places where the holiday crowd overwhelms capacity.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
What they should do is tear up Rt 28 and re-route it through North Creek, knock down all those Hudson Headwaters clinics between 28 and town and extend the XC trails to Main St.  Then put a transfer gondola to the Hudson chair.
While they're at it they can extend Rt28 to the Northway so I don't have to drive through Warrensburg.
Then dam the Moose and Raquette rivers with pumped storage projects that never freeze.  Free power and lots of pondage for a new snowbelt in Johnsburg.  North Creek will be the Aspen of the East!

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Milo Maltbie wrote
What they should do is tear up Rt 28 and re-route it through North Creek, knock down all those Hudson Headwaters clinics between 28 and town and extend the XC trails to Main St.  Then put a transfer gondola to the Hudson chair.While they're at it they can extend Rt28 to the Northway so I don't have to drive through Warrensburg.Then dam the Moose and Raquette rivers with pumped storage projects that never freeze.  Free power and lots of pondage for a new snowbelt in Johnsburg.  North Creek will be the Aspen of the East!mm
A microwave would be good too !
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
They have to improve the grade of pipeline. I feel like it is an existential trail that leads to nowhere despite poling and skating forever.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I like that trail. One of the things that makes Gore unique is all the skating between areas.  Tele guys love it more than I do
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Ethan Snow wrote
I like that trail. One of the things that makes Gore unique is all the skating between areas.  Tele guys love it more than I do
Those are the trails that keep snowboarders away.  Why do you hate snowboarders?

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote
What they should do is tear up Rt 28 and re-route it through North Creek, knock down all those Hudson Headwaters clinics between 28 and town and extend the XC trails to Main St.  
Your talking about the nursing home where the elderly get care, do you hate old people?
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
1 ... 3456789