Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Idea to Improve Ski Bowl Usage at Gore

Petronio
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Hunter gets most of their trails open for Christmas every year.  Windham almost always gets East Peak open in time, and Mountain Creek for all but 11-12 and 12-13 has gotten all 4 peaks open for Christmas.  If Mountain Creek can do it only opening 2 weeks earlier, WF and Gore should have no trouble doing it after having been open for a month.  The thing is that Mountain Creek is just pretty far ahead in snowmaking, grooming, and lifts due to their crowds and also because they got all new equipment during the rebrand in 1998.  We actually had 3 high speed lifts before WF even had one.  Mountain Creek got their 3 detachables in 1998, and WF's Gondola wasn't done until 1999, so WF was a bunch of old slow fixed grip doubles while Mountain Creek had half of their lifts high speed.
Mountain Creek . . .  count 'em!   
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
Petronio wrote
snoloco wrote
Hunter gets most of their trails open for Christmas every year.  Windham almost always gets East Peak open in time, and Mountain Creek for all but 11-12 and 12-13 has gotten all 4 peaks open for Christmas.  If Mountain Creek can do it only opening 2 weeks earlier, WF and Gore should have no trouble doing it after having been open for a month.  The thing is that Mountain Creek is just pretty far ahead in snowmaking, grooming, and lifts due to their crowds and also because they got all new equipment during the rebrand in 1998.  We actually had 3 high speed lifts before WF even had one.  Mountain Creek got their 3 detachables in 1998, and WF's Gondola wasn't done until 1999, so WF was a bunch of old slow fixed grip doubles while Mountain Creek had half of their lifts high speed.
more like
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
Petronio wrote
snoloco wrote
more like
Game hard. Bere gone. Me do Jameson shots now. Bye.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
snoloco wrote
Mountain Creek has 170 acres . . .

Of these 3, Mountain Creek has the greatest number of high speed lifts per acre.
Where I come from, "High Speed Lifts per Acre" is not a valid way to measure snowmaking capability. People were making a point that it's a lot easier to cover 170 acres than it is to cover 283 or 438. And you started talking about high speed lifts as if that matters at all. MRG has no high speed lifts. It must suck
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
I was always taught that High Speed Lifts Per Acre is a standard industry measure of trail crowdedness
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Thacheronix wrote
I was always taught that High Speed Lifts Per Acre is a standard industry measure of trail crowdedness
Excellent point.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
I just finished my daily evening commute oil can. MOUNTAIN CREEK!!  

Reply | Threaded
|

sirskier
In reply to this post by Harvey
The ski bowl is actually ok.  I spent a day there with my son.  I don't think there is anything wrong with it now.  

They need to build a large scale condo and hotel there and offer amenities.  I am talking about studios, one bedroom and two bedroom condos that sell for $150k to $250.  That will get people to Gore,  and Northcreek.  The current idea of putting Luxury homes there is going to be tough.

Next Northcreek needs to become a little more skier orientated think towns like Ellicotville NY (which is like the Aspen of the east, in a small tiny hill)

On piste is better then no piste
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
snoloco wrote
Mountain Creek has 170 acres . . .

Of these 3, Mountain Creek has the greatest number of high speed lifts per acre.
Where I come from, "High Speed Lifts per Acre" is not a valid way to measure snowmaking capability. People were making a point that it's a lot easier to cover 170 acres than it is to cover 283 or 438. And you started talking about high speed lifts as if that matters at all.
The thing is, no matter how many guns or compressors or pumps Mountain Creek has, they simply don't have the cold temperatures Gore or WF gets.  Gore and WF could be blowing for days on end, while snowmaking at MC is shut down with 37 degree temps.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Just finished hours of work emails and now loco is actually trying to say MC is better than Gore and Whiteface?  Have you been finding Benny's stash of wacky weed?

I'm putting my foot down.  There is a a Whiteface chit lift pass in it for Loco if between now and when he comes to claim it on the condition he does not post at all about any ski area in NJ.  Check with me first as we don't get our chits until around Xmas.  This is the NY ski blog!
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Uhm, no. It's pretty much not in NY.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
oh my liver
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sno stop pokin your stick in the WF homer cage bro.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
Sno stop pokin your stick in the WF homer cage bro.
 good one
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
Remember when this little goof ranted about Gore closing a lift 45 minutes early because there was lightening in the area and I made a throw away comment about his father and corporal punishment and this place came unglued?  I graciously accept your collective apology.

(Except from that weird "Hinterlandian" guy that looks like some kind of deranged Santa Claus.  You sorta suck.)
Reply | Threaded
|

xWeatherMan
Getting back to the original topic, the Ski Bowl.

Last year i skied from the bowl 3 or 4 days. Worked out well although once I had to park 150ft away from the lodge and once we had to share a table in the base lodge there. Access from the bowl to the main mountain is easy, I can probably be on the Burnt Ridge chair quicker than i can park and get to the lodge on a busy day at the main base. Getting back to the bowl needs to be improved, Pipeline is a drag at the end of the day.  I think a trail from the top of Burnt Ridge is planned either replacing or next to Barkeater, this will be a major improvement and I suspect increase usage of the bowl.  

In terms of snowmaking. From the Bowl there is snowmaking on Peaceful valley and Eagles Nest  so you can make it to the main mountain without natural snow from the bowl, this has been the case for the last few years. To the bowl there has been no snowmaking on Pipeline but this year Gore is putting in snowmaking up to the bridge on Pipeline. I assume the reason for this two fold, get snowmaking on the steeper section of Pipeline near Peaceful Valley intersection and set up snowmaking for a trail from the top of Burnt Ridge.

Ski Bowl Village: I am not a real estate developer but i have no idea why they seem to be focusing on single family homes prior to the proposed hotels.  i think the bowl will never be a full fledged base (rentals, lessons, etc.) until if/when there is lodging down there.

1234567 ... 9