classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
169 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Idea to Improve Ski Bowl Usage at Gore

Harvey
Administrator
The latest thinking is that Barkeater will survive and that a new trail will be added adjacent to it.  Maybe the blowby from Abanakee will help cover the sketchy exit or maybe they'll have a ratnik ground gun with a hose that some renegade can point into the woods.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Harvey wrote
The latest thinking is that Barkeater will survive and that a new trail will be added adjacent to it.  Maybe the blowby from Abanakee will help cover the sketchy exit or maybe they'll have a ratnik ground gun with a hose that some renegade can point into the woods.
That would be great. Glades next to trails with snowmaking are always needed. And if the exit is near the sketchy exit of Barkeater, I can just hop back out onto the trail. Cut it now!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by xWeatherMan
xWeatherMan wrote
Ski Bowl Village: I am not a real estate developer but i have no idea why they seem to be focusing on single family homes prior to the proposed hotels.  i think the bowl will never be a full fledged base (rentals, lessons, etc.) until if/when there is lodging down there.
Do hotels in North Creek make money? I have no idea if they do or not. Copperfield  might get some train shrapnel, but is any other place making coin? Seems tough. With little summer business (rafters and hikers?), they'd have to make almost all their money in the winter (and no, I don't think the 9 hole golf course in the Front Street plan is enough of a draw).
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Maybe they'll have a ratnik ground gun with a hose that some renegade can point into the woods.
At Gore, we have snowmaking in our glades, an industry exclusive.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I tried to kill this MC talk with offer (bribe) of a free lift tix but I forgot that he doesn't pay for his own skiing.

On the plus side as Scotty has made MC the punch line to any joke.  Kid get a clue you sound ridiculous.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Harvey wrote
That would be great. Glades next to trails with snowmaking are always needed. And if the exit is near the sketchy exit of Barkeater, I can just hop back out onto the trail. Cut it now!
Good point. Or maybe just reroute the end so it jumps out onto the trail. Isn't that kind of what we do with Twister Glades/Echo?
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Ok, just got back from Minogues with a fresh 6 pack that I trashed while catching up on this caos.  Harvey, I think you are actually paying Sno, he adds more fodder for your site then anyone.  

Sno.... have you actually skied the bowl?  It is the perfect example of "classic" Adirondack skiing.  I didn't say EAST COAST skiing, I said ADIRONDACK.  Its narrow.  Its lumpy.  It requires technical skiing.  They don't groom it half the time.  However, it is real gem.  When they are spinning lifts down there my wife and I always spend some time over there.  The lifts might be used (and LOUD), the lodge might be a shack, but the skiing is great.  

Without widening the trails, installing snow making, and grading the runs a bit less it will never be a beginner area.  If they did all that it would just be another run.  The thing I have always LOVED about gore is each area of the mountain skis differently.  Its not like Killington/Stratton/Okemo that every run is just a wide white ribbon that you go down with 200 of your closest friends.  If you like that, then go there.  If you want to feel like you are the only person on the run then go to Gore.  Most of Gore can't be skied more then 2 wide and even then it can be dangerous.  Go to kmart and you can ski 10 wide.  Adirondack skiing is different.  They are preserving something at Gore that you can't get anywhere else.  

Just compare this...

or this...

to this...

Those things in the last picture are called turns.  They make skiing more fun.  Try it sometime.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
 Gosh, Footer that third pic is awesome, Gore's trail pods and snow cannot be duplicated here in the Poconos or NJ. That why My family has at times ,jumped up at 4am, drove 245 miles ,skied six hrs and drove back home. Never skied the Bowl yet, hope to this season.
 Sno  High speed lifts are your thing, but as a parent and spending years with my children riding slow fixed grips ,our family time together has been enhanced in ways some day your appreciate as a parent.

Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Footer
This post is so misleading.  I think that the first picture is from Okemo.  Those trails look very wide, but they do have turns.  The trails in the Killington picture have turns as well.  Just look toward the peak, or to looker's left of Superstar.  Killington has some old school trails as well on the area called South Ridge.  There is no lift anymore, but for 15-16, one will likely be added again.  The Gore picture is also misleading.  If this picture was taken of the front side where the AE2 and Gondola are, it would look exactly the same as Okemo.  The Straightbrook area feels no different than some of Killington's steeper runs.  If you want to see a bunch of parallel trails going straight top to bottom, look at an areal photo of Belleayre.  Yes, I think that the high speed lift is one of the greatest inventions the world has ever had.  On a pod with a 5,000 foot lift that was high speed running at 1,000 fpm, I could get up in 5 minutes.  If it was a fixed grip running 450 fpm the ride would take 11.5 minutes.  Let's say I can make it down in 5 minutes as well.  With the high speed lift, I could get in 6 runs in an hour.  With the fixed grip lift, I couldn't even get 4 runs in.  That adds up over the course of a day or season.  Let's say I ski that pod for a full day which would never happen, but I need to assume that to make the math easier.  I could get 48 runs with the high speed lift, but only 29 with the fixed grip.  That is a difference of 19 runs.  

Also, notice how I did not compare to Mountain Creek at all.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Whenever you read a snoloco post, you just have to consider that he values "now now now" over "in due time".

When do I want to be at the top of the mountain? Now Now Now!

When should mountains open all their terrain? Now! Now! Now!

How fast should resorts be Strattonized? Now! Now! Now!

The scary part is, I don't think it's just him who thinks this way. And I think this kind of mentality gets more common in younger generations. I wonder if the world will be better when we all have our every desire satisfied right away (delivered to us by Amazon drone). I'm thinking no.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by snoloco
High speed chairlift ranks right up there with the compass, the mast, the plow, gunpowder, penicillin, pasteurization, etc.........hard to imagine the harsh, crude cruelty of life before it.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
The scary part is, I don't think it's just him who thinks this way. And I think this kind of mentality gets more common in younger generations. I wonder if the world will be better when we all have our every desire satisfied right away (delivered to us by Amazon drone). I'm thinking no.
Old and in the way!
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
snoloco wrote
I think that the first picture is from Okemo.
Nope. Stratton.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
Old and in the way!
Congratulations on being the first person to ever call me old!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
Spongeworthy wrote
snoloco wrote
I think that the first picture is from Okemo.
Nope. Stratton.
Not Stratton - it is Okemo
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
if your ski enjoyment revolves around maximum runs go there
if your ski enjoyment revolves around maximum fun  go there
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Back on topic.

The Ski Bowl connects the town of North Creek to all of Gore Mountain's acreage.  That is something that few eastern ski areas have, a ski in ski out town that is real, and not purpose built for the ski area.  Maybe North Creek could fund some of the snowmaking on the condition that it open on 12/26 each year as well as being connected through Burnt Ridge to the main mountain.  Then advertise the town in places around the mountain and say to ski down Pipeline or whatever the new trail from Burnt Ridge will be called to get to it.  If more people go into North Creek, then the economy in the town will improve and more people will access the town through the Ski Bowl.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
snoloco wrote
The Ski Bowl connects the town of North Creek to all of Gore Mountain's acreage.
Um sorta.  Bring on Lift 14!

snoloco wrote
Maybe North Creek could fund some of the snowmaking on the condition that it open on 12/26 each year
Highly unlikely.

snoloco wrote
whatever the new trail from Burnt Ridge will be called to get to it.
Current thinking "Abanakee."

snoloco wrote
If more people go into North Creek, then the economy in the town will improve
True.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by freeheeln
You (I) spend so much time AROUND those 5 minute runs:

Off season
Driving
Fire Stokeage
Getting Dressed
Driving
Booting up
Lift line
Clicking in

The few minutes I save on a HSQ compared to the extra crowd on the trail...

I chose the 19 awesome deserted runs over the 40 crowded runs.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I never thought that it would be likely for North Creek to fund the Ski Bowl's snowmaking.  If it was open from say, December 26 to the last Sunday in March, I definitely think that it would help North Creek's economy.  If the businesses in North Creek were able to work together to promote town access from the Ski Bowl, it would help both the Ski Bowl and the economy in North Creek.  I would much rather ski down to the bowl at the end of the day and get something to eat in town than battling the hoards of people trying to get out of the main lot.  However, since the Ski Bowl does not open reliably on a set schedule, I have never parked there, even though I ski there whenever I have the chance.