Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Next Upgrades at NY Ski Areas

PeeTex
ml242 wrote
I vote Sno gets a girlfriend.
Maybe he can make one

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Another thing that would really help at Gore is something to eliminate the flat spot at the top of the Straightbrook Quad.  Getting rid of the old gondola building would be a great start.  It serves no purpose and never will.  Plus, it makes the flat spot even worse.  It isn't that long, but is so annoying to have to skate from the lift to where the good run starts on EVERY SINGLE RUN.  Worse than Pipeline and Cedars because those you only do once in a day really.  Some regrading on the summit would also help get rid of the flat spot.  I would think that most people would not enjoy paying 80+ for a lift ticket and the lifts not getting you where you need to go.  Hopefully something is done about this ASAP
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

jjbrady
Would love to see GP expand their terrain and replace some of the older lifts...I'm hoping it's snowmaking equipment this year and terrain expansion/lift upgrades next...
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
 Getting rid of the old gondola building would be a great start.  It serves no purpose and never will.  
Agreed. Would be a big improvement. Won't ever happen though unless time itself takes it down.

They should tear it apart, move it and re-purpose it into a new summit building at a better location. The very top would be great. It would have outstanding, near 360 degree views, high peaks and all. People would absolutely friggin love it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Have any of you ever rode out to the old gondola building?
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
snoloco wrote
 Getting rid of the old gondola building would be a great start.  It serves no purpose and never will.  
Agreed. Would be a big improvement. Won't ever happen though unless time itself takes it down.

They should tear it apart, move it and re-purpose it into a new summit building at a better location. The very top would be great. It would have outstanding, near 360 degree views, high peaks and all. People would absolutely friggin love it.
I don't see why costs are so prohibitive of getting an excavator up there to level the darn thing and have some way to haul out the remains.  It makes no sense to move it because it is old and rotting away and probably not structurally safe anymore.  Building a new building would be so much better, and probably cheaper too.

Also, get rid of all the old gondola towers.  Don't see why it would cost so much to get a blowtorch and cut them down.  Those things are an eyesore rusting away like that.  I am in the mountains, and I don't want to see a bunch of old rusty equipment just sitting there.  Use it, or remove it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
When it came down to leveling the gondi building, Mike was going to do it, paying for it by going with straight plywood on the chairs for the AE2.  He heard you wanted cush so he left the building.

The towers? Now I know you are trolling Sno.

What's the cost per chopper day?  How much labor to unbolt them? Or you're recommending cutting up all those towers into pieces and then doing what with them.  Lay out the details of the plan.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I am recommending this.  Blowtorch off the base and let it fall.  Then cut up and remove.  Yes, this is from MC, but it is the only video I could find where this was done.

Reply | Threaded
|

yep

Chris@GORE
This post was updated on .
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
 Sno its a cutting torch not a blow torch , you melt ice with a blow torch!!
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
How many gondola towers are there on the line? How tall are they
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Gunny J
Gunny J wrote
Sno its a cutting torch not a blow torch , you melt ice with a blow torch!!
Whatever is the tool for the job.  I can't tell the two apart.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Chris@Gore for the win?
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Wasn't there a plan mentioned on this website last year or two that the old summit gondola terminal was going to be turned into a warming hut/bathroom facility/lodge?
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
snoloco wrote
 Use it, or remove it.
100%.

This is exactly how i feel about big projects that are doomed to fail and then go bust... Not to mention that it is just wrong in the mountains. So many of our great places are filled with the trash from yesterdays schemes, it's really sad. The mountains are good enough on their own so tenants should beware "improvements".
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Chris@GORE
Chris@GORE wrote
You should really be worried about your own skiing instead of worrying about stuff that really doesn't matter. I saw you up there the other day and you are at best a weak intermediate skier. You are just not a strong enough skier to enjoy any of the mountains you criticize.  Last Sunday I saw with my own eyes why you would never be able to enjoy Jay Peak, or Whiteface/Gore for that matter.

You should have your father invest in some lessons, even if they are at Mountain Creek (Some would argue that that place is just a hill, or a mound of dirt).
Great advice.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
We all got opinions and what kind of skier we are has nothing to do with our right to express them. (I sure hope).

Still I think we've all looked at those gondo towers and wished they were magically gone. I think if it was cheap to do, they would be gone.

The way the public mountains are run, if you spent $50,000 removing those towers, then you've got $50k less for something else.  So pick a project done at Gore since the red gondi was removed and trade it for the tower job.  IMO the next thing that has to be done is the HP Chair and I'd rather see that handled before the towers are removed.

If the towers were removed I'd like it, and if the HP chair died for good that year, I'd still have fun at Gore.

Sorry for the snark Sno ... sometimes you drive me crazy.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
What about raising ticket and season pass prices to fund more improvements?  Gore charges considerably less than the southern Vermont mountains, and also way less than Whiteface.  There's no reason that Gore can't charge what Whiteface is charging for day tickets, and their passes should be more in line with what the southern Vermont mountains charge.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
How about you save that opinion until you start buying your own lift tickets?  Easy to say that when you aren't funding it.  Not that I personally care what Gore's price is as I've been there plenty the last 5 years and yet to purchase a ticket there.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by Chris@GORE
He is 14 dude. Really. How bout his dad take him to other places.  What's the matter with you. Take the gore name out of your name or act like an employee of the mountain.
123456 ... 16