classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
305 messages Options
1234567 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Next Upgrades at NY Ski Areas

snoloco
I'd still rather pay $10 more and get rid of the gondola towers and have a new high peaks chair than pay $10 less and not have it.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Lot of Gore skiers on NYSB and it makes sense they'd bristle at your suggestions Sno.  They've chosen Gore for a reason. If they wanted to ski Stratton they would ski there.  

Seems that's what you're pushing for, making Gore into Stratton. Faster, more comfortable lifts, straightened, widened more modern, crowded trails, more grooming and higher ticket prices. Not every mountain has to be the same. I hope.

Obvi all are welcome to their opinions, that's what forums are for.  ^^That's mine.

Be curious to know what the cost would be to remove the towers.  May see Mike this weekend, if I can remember might ask him to swag it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Still no one responded if they ever rode the old gondola line to the building out there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
What about raising ticket and season pass prices to fund more improvements?  Gore charges considerably less than the southern Vermont mountains, and also way less than Whiteface.  There's no reason that Gore can't charge what Whiteface is charging for day tickets, and their passes should be more in line with what the southern Vermont mountains charge.
This is the worst suggestion ever
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Lot of Gore skiers on NYSB and it makes sense they'd bristle at your suggestions Sno.  They've chosen Gore for a reason. If they wanted to ski Stratton they would ski there.  

Seems that's what you're pushing for, making Gore into Stratton. Faster, more comfortable lifts, straightened, widened more modern, crowded trails, more grooming and higher ticket prices.  Not every mountain has to be the same.
To be totally honest, I like Stratton's business model more than Gore's.  However, I never said that Gore should do everything that Stratton has done.  There's no reason that snowmaking at the Ski Bowl, and the lifts can't be upgraded without turning Gore into Stratton.  I also think that there is no excuse for leaving old lift parts to rot when they should be removed.  Killington has done this and it drives me crazy.  I am not for making every mountain ski the same.  I am all for keeping all infrastructure and technology up to date, and paying some attention to how the place looks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
All those lift towers and the building are out of bounds so they shouldn't really matter to you, unless you ride there.  I think most people would be willing to fund improvements that actually improved the ski experience.  The old gondola lift line is kinda cool and part of the history there.  Hiding out of bounds doesn't really hurt your ski experience.  It's just another thing to complain about.
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
Still no one responded if they ever rode the old gondola line to the building out there.
Well, skis yes, snowboard no, snowshoes maybe so.

I've heard it could be a fool's mission if you don't keep high enough on Playground, becoming entangled in the thicket of the mini-Spruce-monsters, forcing an unscheduled exit stage left to Sunway, hip-sliding a icy ledge (or two) to the amusement of the general public, into the waiting embrace of Comrade Dipper and his Red Jacket Brigade.

Another misadventure is attempting the diagonal "line" until you are forced to circumvent the impressive blow-down almost back to High Pines to the delight of the Gaper Gallery heckling you from the TRT.

However, some say the view from "out there" is augenblick and worth the effort.  Maybe someday to be a sanctioned lunch destination.

Or so I've heard.  Ski you on the Hill.
Reply | Threaded
|

SnowSnake
I agree with Glade Runner, leave the old towers be and focus on the things that actually make a difference to the skiing experience.  

Sno - if you prefer anything at Stratton over Gore please go there and stop talking about Gore. It sounds like you need the wide open, flat, groomed slopes they offer anyways.  Maybe when you learn how to actually ski you should come back to Gore and appreciate the mountain for what it really is and not what you would like it to be.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Leave the old towers and focus on what improvements?  If I suggest that the north chair should be high speed, or the same bowl needs more snowmaking, or Burnt Ridge needs more trails, I get torn apart every time.  What could be improved that would actually make a difference.  Natural snow trails and glades hardly make a difference as they are seldom open.  What do you want to see done that will make a real difference?
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
I thought the high peaks double was next on the agenda.
CMR
Reply | Threaded
|

CMR
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like the old gondola towers.  They take me back to a time when I was about Sno's age skiing at Gore and riding those old red sardine cans to the summit.  As for the gondola house at the top, I could see having it razed to improve skier flow toward Cloud, Lies, etc.  If Gore can ever afford it, a Saddle sized lodge where the warming hut is located (or in it's vicinity so that you could get there from the HP lift as well as the summit chair) would be amazing.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Glade Runner wrote
 All those lift towers and the building are out of bounds so they shouldn't really matter to you, unless you ride there.
Well, sort of. Many people get tired of looking at them and the other junk left behind around the wilderness.

" Oh look it's a junk car. "

" It shouldn't really matter to you unless you intend to hike right over it . "

For most people, it's natural to wish it wasn't there.

The steel towers could be removed with out much expense. Someday (maybe soon)  they will rust to were they're unstable and dangerous. Perhaps this won't be known until one falls over which, could possibly injure people. It may be safer removing them and more prudent to get rid of them before they're unstable. Those guides the cable rides on are a good size chunk of metal. Heads up.
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
I think you get to worked up about things. The reality is many of the people who actually work at Gore and have to make decisions about what to do have long ago thought of the things you have thought about, processed them, and then moved on depending on the current list of "to do" items.

Most of the threads your starting now are just coming off as complaining. I hope you go to college for Ski management, proceed to work at a resort (preferably one of the 3 NY state run) and live in your own personal hell when the realities of what the current management deals with is now yours and the things you want to get done, you can't.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Snowballs
I seem to recall that they tried to remove some of the towers by flying them out, I think you can find remnants of a crashed helicopter somewhere near top ridge, some were just too heavy.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
Glade Runner wrote
no longer worth the trip, too much blow down and whippers
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Be curious to know what the cost would be to remove the towers.  May see Mike this weekend, if I can remember might ask him to swag it.
Harv, if you talk to Mike, please find out if removing the towers and gondola station is restricted by the NY Constitution.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by evantful
evantful wrote
I hope you go to college for Ski management, proceed to work at a resort (preferably one of the 3 NY state run) and live in your own personal hell when the realities of what the current management deals with is now yours and the things you want to get done, you can't.
Can't get the money to get things done?  Then raise the ticket and pass prices to bring in the extra money.  How hard could it be to hike pass prices by 100 or so dollars and ticket prices by 10 dollars or so.  The ORDA SKI3 pass costs 10 dollars less than a full adult pass at Hunter.  It costs only like $740 and that is way too little for something that gives you full access to 3 mountains like that.  Something like that should be going for at least $1,000 dollars, if not more.  It is also far less than Windham is charging, and a whole lot less than what SoVT is.  Those places have no trouble getting the prices they charge, so why can't WF and Gore charge that too so they can have money for improvements and not rely on the state giving it to them.  Have a big expansion/improvement that was announced and then the pass price is 100 dollars more and people complain?  Say that the price raise was necessary to pay for the expansion/improvement.  It is crazy to expect new lifts to be installed and new trails to be added without having to pay more for a pass or ticket.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
snoloco wrote
I'd still rather my dad pay $10 more and get rid of the gondola towers and have a new high peaks chair than pay $10 less and not have it.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
snoloco wrote
Can't get the money to get things done?  Then raise the ticket and pass prices to bring in the extra money.  
The weekend discount for teens is $18. Let's get rid of that.
Problem solved
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Hehehe. Yea Sno, ditch the raise prices talk will ya ?
1234567 ... 16