Open this post in threaded view
|

ORDA May Gain Belleayre

Face4Me
This post was updated on .
June 1, 2011

ORDA may gain Belleayre Ski Resort

KIM SMITH DEDAM Plattsburgh Press Republican

LAKE PLACID — Operation of Belleayre Mountain Ski Resort may become the purview of the Olympic Regional Development Authority. The ski and snowboarding resort in the Catskill Mountains Town of Highmount is on state land deemed Forever Wild. The resort — which also has summer concert events and a public beach — is currently run by the Department of Environmental Conservation. State agencies are still working out particulars, according to ORDA Board member Serge Lussi, who confirmed Tuesday that they are exploring a planned change of management for the Catskills ski center.

http://pressrepublican.com/0100_news/x2142724374/ORDA-may-gain-Belleayre-Ski-Resort
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: ORDA May Gain Belleayre

Highpeaksdrifter
WOW - thanks for posting that Face4me, thats the first I've heard of it. That ought to generate some discussion.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Good news for Lake Placid. Belleayre becomes another source of income to help run Lake Placid's ORDA venues. Bad news for Belleayre. Gore and Warren County are under represented on the ORDA Board. I can only imagine how ORDA will deal with a ski area that is 150 miles (as the crow flies) south of Lake Placid. Hunter, Windham, and Plattekill will be very happy if this happens.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Does this mean that Belleayre will get quality marketing?
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
Good news for Lake Placid. Belleayre becomes another source of income to help run Lake Placid's ORDA venues. Bad news for Belleayre. Gore and Warren County are under represented on the ORDA Board. I can only imagine how ORDA will deal with a ski area that is 150 miles (as the crow flies) south of Lake Placid. Hunter, Windham, and Plattekill will be very happy if this happens.
On the other hand, if ORDA is running it, MAYBE the annual talk of closing it by the DEC will no longer be a concern.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Face4Me wrote
On the other hand, if ORDA is running it, MAYBE the annual talk of closing it by the DEC will no longer be a concern.
I tend to think that was just talk as Belleayre is a local revenue and tourism generator just as Gore is for North Creek and Warren County. The Rt 28 corridor in the Catskills is hurting with Belleayre, imagine how much worse it would be without it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
x10003q wrote
Face4Me wrote
I tend to think that was just talk as Belleayre is a local revenue and tourism generator just as Gore is for North Creek and Warren County. The Rt 28 corridor in the Catskills is hurting with Belleayre, imagine how much worse it would be without it.
Agreed ... but hopefully, with ORDA running it, the "talk" itself may go away, relieving the aggravation for those who depend on it and have to "fight" to keep it open every year.

And who knows, maybe with ORDA running it, things could improve. I don't see any reason to assume it would be a bad thing. Gore has certainly had its share of improvements since ORDA took it over. That's not to say everything about it is perfect, but who knows where Gore would be today if ORDA had not taken it over. It could have done better without ORDA, or perhaps, it could have become another entry on the NELSAP (New England Lost Ski Areas Project) list.

If this takeover does occur ... why not reserve judgment and hope for a positive outcome.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Waiting for Benny to come in and spread bad juju.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Face4Me wrote
If this takeover does occur ... why not reserve judgment and hope for a positive outcome.
C'mon, what's the internet without some bitching?
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
The shift or possibility of a management agreement for ORDA to manage Belleayre is a direct parallel to what occurred when they took over management of Gore from DEC. The common link in all this is certainly Joe Martens who is both Chairman of ORDA and recently appointed Commissioner of DEC. It's a good way to get DEC out of the ski business. By the way this overlaps not a conflict as DEC has a seat on the ORDA board as a matter of the way that ORDA was formed.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm optimistic that it will be a good thing. If it comes to pass.

I have to think it's a real possibility if Ted Blazer is willing to be quoted in the story.

One thing is for sure - after all the discussion we'd finally see who was right about what. There does seem to be more transparency (skier visits, revenue etc) from Gore and Whiteface vs Belleayre, due to the nature of the authority structure.

Should also be interesting how this effects the whole "ticket giveaway" issue that has the other Catskill mountains up in arms.

EDIT: for a chuckle when I got Jon Lundin's email about upcoming full pass deadlines ... I replied by asking him if the pass would be good a Bell. I don't think he thought it was funny as he didn't respond...
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
What will happen to Tony Lanza?  
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
JasonWx wrote
What will happen to Tony Lanza?
I was surprised that this quote by Serge Lussi was included in the article:

"Ted learned from running Whiteface how to be a good leader in finding capable people who are able to manage Whiteface and Gore. And we expect he would do the same at Belleayre."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
 I replied by asking him if the pass would be good a Bell. I don't think he thought it was funny as he didn't respond...
Ok. Yeah. That would be some good JuJu ORDA>>>>> but you guys still won't have near as many Mtns on yooz season pass as I have on my Snowballs Super Season Pass.

Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
In reply to this post by Face4Me
"It is not in this year's (ORDA) budget, but there is a possibility that ORDA will be operating Bellayre this winter," he said.

Do you think NYS is actually going to transfer some of the DEC budget to Orda to run this - NO

This means Orda will be asked to do more with the same budget.  Orda all ready has too many non profitable assets hung around its neck - This would just be one more.  This is bad for both Gore and WF.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I disagree.  I think it will drive downstate skiers to WF/Gore.  If a season pass good for all three brings a couple hundred more visits to WF/Gore that's great.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
ScottyJack wrote
I disagree.  I think it will drive downstate skiers to WF/Gore.  If a season pass good for all three brings a couple hundred more visits to WF/Gore that's great.
I'd be really surprised if they would make a combination pass available. That could really affect the number of down-staters and New Jersey skiers who would head up to Gore or Whiteface, especially on "marginal" weekends when weather might be a factor and that kind of thing.

What would be REALLY smart, in my opinion, is if they offered Whiteface and Gore passholders a 50% weekday rate at Belleayre. That might entice people to go to Belleayre for mid-week trips. That way, they'd generate some extra income at Belleayre, while not "hurting" the weekend traffic to Gore and Whiteface. I know if I could do a day trip to Belleayre for $22.50, I'd probably end up going at least 4 or 5 times during the season, maybe even more if conditions are good.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigDogMom
I don’t think there will be any reciprocal passes for ski season 2011/2012 because Gore, WF, and Belleayre have all been selling season passes for this season already.  I don’t think you can add or subtract privileges mid-stream.  I do think a shared pass is possible for ski season 2012/2013 and perhaps as a group we can enlighten ORDA what would be exciting and feasible for a combined season pass.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Almost everybody who skis Belleayre, and posts on Alpine Zone, says it would be terrible for Belleayre if ORDA managed their mountain. A lot of people seem to feel that it would be detrimental to WF and/or Gore if ORDA had to take on Belleayre. I’m of the opinion, that it is human nature for people to worry about change, that they have no control over, but effects something they care about. Once the change takes effect things are seldom as bad as they thought it would be. On the other hand, if they were expecting great things from the change, once it is set in the reality doesn’t live up to their expectations.

So anyway, if ORDA does take over Belleayre we’ll just have to see how it all plays out, but my guess is everything will work out fine.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
Waiting for Benny to come in and spread bad juju.
Hi.

84 inch base at A Basin this morning. Spring conditions.

Have a nice day!
funny like a clown
1234 ... 6