Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Petition for Orda to take over Big Tupper

Benny Profane
Peter Minde wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Brownski wrote
I just looked. The petition has over 6000 signatures now.

It says they owe over 500k in taxes. I wonder how long it took to accumulate that much- Seems pretty high but not sure how much property that includes
I'm secretly rooting for the county or town to repo it.
Wondering if Tupper Lake town could actually take over BT and make it work.  Harrietstown runs Dewey Mountain.
This is a simple idea that actually sounds pretty good at this point. Strip away all the BS, all the snake oil, start from zero, and then call the governor, maybe through the local state rep. Btw, who is this person? Who represents Tupper? That's your man/woman. Is this locally elected representative responsive to Tupper's needs, or some rich developers money? Call him/her out through the media. Make it him/ her's problem. Beat a drum. Get the governor in there. Talk simple, rachet it down from idiotic Mac Mansions in nowhere, to a viable business model. Don't be stupid and greedy.
funny like a clown
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Betty Littleis the state senator- she is retiring this yr
Big Orda supporter

Dan Stec is state rep.  He will almost certainly replace Little as State Senator

You could have made the same argument (and I did) make the case that Bell should have been town run.  The case the Gov made is Orda brings economies of scale to running a ski area and that is true.  Being part of the Big4 pass gives a Tupper a distinct advantage to be successful.

The reason Bell couldn’t be taken over by what ever little tow Bell is in is the same with Tupper.  These towns are so run down there is no money.  If the state has to give the town the money then the Gov is going to take over the whole thing like he did with Bell.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
another bigger local paper endorses the idea.  I'm begining to beleive that this thing will get so big that the Bov will have to do it

https://www.pressrepublican.com/opinion/editorials/big-tupper-available/article_d4ff92c9-7634-58a8-aaef-086d393eabd9.html
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I think we should start a counter petition to have the state provide funds to make Tupper a back country destination Mecca. It would be the first in the nation.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
PeeTex wrote
I think we should start a counter petition to have the state provide funds to make Tupper a back country destination Mecca. It would be the first in the nation.
Do they get the snow for that?

Doubt it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Z
Z wrote
another bigger local paper endorses the idea.  I'm begining to beleive that this thing will get so big that the Bov will have to do it
I’m not so sure. When the Daily News is on board get back to me. All that money he’s pouring into the other mountains isn’t for you. It’s to persuade me to drive to the ADKs instead of VT. I still haven’t seen anything that convinces me Big Tupper is anything more then a locals hill.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
PeeTex wrote

Doubt it.
They get enough snow - they get lake effect. You don’t need a huge amount if people have to skin up to use it.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
When they were operating they averaged 90 inches a year.  Doesn’t seem like much LE happening there.  Just because you are skinning  doesn’t mean you need any less snow to ski down....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm with Coach!!!
Go Big Tupper 💪
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
raisingarizona wrote
PeeTex wrote

Doubt it.
They get enough snow - they get lake effect. You don’t need a huge amount if people have to skin up to use it.
Maybe then but 90 inches probably isn’t going to draw in visitors.

Personally I think you’d need 200+ to make it worth the maintenance efforts but I might be wrong.

I like skinning but if the snow sucks I’d rather go do lift laps.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
I'm with Coach!!!
Go Big Tupper 💪
I hope BT gets rescued somehow too. I just don’t think it will
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
This post was updated on .
Z wrote

https://www.pressrepublican.com/opinion/editorials/big-tupper-available/article_d4ff92c9-7634-58a8-aaef-086d393eabd9.html

Um, well, no: "When skiers visit Vermont, they often make a lengthy trip of it, visiting several different areas in a week or so.

Adding Big Tupper to the ORDA family would provide the region with the same kind of destination tag.

Skiers could go to Gore Mountain, Whiteface and Big Tupper all in one trip. Not to mention private areas Titus Mountain in Malone, West Mountain in Warren County and Beartown in Clinton County."

Skiers will not do that, much like skiers who visit Vermont don't "tour" various areas. Hell, the only places they do that are SLC and Summit County in Co., but all from the same bed.

Again, thinking too big. Just calm down, talk just Big Tupper, a few lifts, a little snowmaking, a nice lodge, to start. Don't get too grandiose. A nice little ski area in the ADK with cheap tickets, subsidized by taxpayers, but, just don't advertise the last part. Get it up and running, then slowly see what happens.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Oh dear / Tupper getting LE tonight

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yeah, and WF doesn’t typically get the LE benefit they got with this storm either.  Yes, Big Tupper CAN get LE, but how often do they?  The averages don’t lie.....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
JTG4eva! wrote
Yeah, and WF doesn’t typically get the LE benefit they got with this storm either.  Yes, Big Tupper CAN get LE, but how often do they?  The averages don’t lie.....
Have you ever skied the trails around North Creek? Tupper - the town has the same average snowfall as NC but it is a few degrees colder. There is a lot of back country skiing around North Creek and Indian Lake and the same could go for Tupper. The glades at Gore and WF don’t have snow making yet we ski them a lot - and they get a lot more traffic than they would if you had to hike to them.
I believe MC did a report on a skin up Tupper a few years back, He had a great day as I recall.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
PeeTex wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
Have you ever skied the trails around North Creek? Tupper - the town has the same average snowfall as NC but it is a few degrees colder. There is a lot of back country skiing around North Creek and Indian Lake and the same could go for Tupper. The glades at Gore and WF don’t have snow making yet we ski them a lot - and they get a lot more traffic than they would if you had to hike to them.
I believe MC did a report on a skin up Tupper a few years back, He had a great day as I recall.
Yeah but those glades are surrounded by major established ski areas equipped with plenty of snow making trails. And, they are closer to population centers as far as driving times go. What would be the attraction to BT beyond those areas?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Z wrote

Um, well, no: "When skiers visit Vermont, they often make a lengthy trip of it, visiting several different areas in a week or so.

Adding Big Tupper to the ORDA family would provide the region with the same kind of destination tag.

Skiers could go to Gore Mountain, Whiteface and Big Tupper all in one trip. Not to mention private areas Titus Mountain in Malone, West Mountain in Warren County and Beartown in Clinton County."

Skiers will not do that, much like skiers who visit Vermont don't "tour" various areas. Hell, the only places they do that are SLC and Summit County in Co., but all from the same bed.

Again, thinking too big. Just calm down, talk just Big Tupper, a few lifts, a little snowmaking, a nice lodge, to start. Don't get too grandiose. A nice little ski area in the ADK with cheap tickets, subsidized by taxpayers, but, just don't advertise the last part. Get it up and running, then slowly see what happens.
All I’m asking for to get it up and running.  No gondis or fancy lodges

And I totally don’t believe this 90 inch snow avg being tossed about
Where did that come from?  I think X or someone against this but what was the source?
When I drove to WF for all those years from Watertown somewhere btw Tupper and SL was about where the lake effect ended.  Tupper gets way more LE than WF does based on my driving thru there well over 500 times.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Z wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Z wrote

All I’m asking for to get it up and running.  No gondis or fancy lodges

And I totally don’t believe this 90 inch snow avg being tossed about
Where did that come from?  I think X or someone against this but what was the source?
When I drove to WF for all those years from Watertown somewhere btw Tupper and SL was about where the lake effect ended.  Tupper gets way more LE than WF does based on my driving thru there well over 500 times.

You know, I just did a long week in Utah, and it was an eye opening experience in this day and age of mega passes and ever expanding resorts. Didnt help that a bad storm came in that interlodged Alta and Snowbird for two days and closed the Little Cottonwood Canyon road for 2.5 days and Big Cottonwood for a half day, forcing the crowds elsewhere.
Real mess at times, but, I had fun. Agreed that Ikon is screwing up the ski world, though, and I was one of those people. That's an evolving situation that needs a lot of fixing.

Anyway, I decided to visit Powder Mountain up in Eden to escape the weekend crowds. First time I've been there in over twenty years, and first time since the old family owners sold to the rich techy guys from Ca.. Conditions were hard, but I had fun up on some sun baked butter on top. Fascinating place. As my eye doctor said (serious skier and mountain climber and great guy), the new owners have more money than God, but haven't destroyed the nearly backcountry nature of the place. They dont seem to be concerned with turning a profit. They installed two new chairs on top, but they're actually slow quads, not fast six packs. They actually limit pass sales, to tamp down crowds. It's a very cool place, and serves a niche market of skiers who dont want crowds and powder destroying fast chairs. Its affordable, too, with the dirtiest stinkiest hippie bar at the base I've seen out west. So, what I'm trying to say is, this could be possible here in the East, too, and, it actually helps to not spend too much, lower expectations, keep things mellow. Of course, Powder is a fairly short drive to a major metro area (1.3 hours from my SLC AirBnB, closer to Ogden), so, there's that. But, still, I say, lower the budget, keep it simple, and who knows? There may be a market for it. NY state pretty much has more money than God most years, they could swing it.
Coolest "lift" they had in the nineties was a snowmobile with a rope behind it and four big knots on the rope. Tricky on a snowboard. Since replaced by a cat, but, man, that was fun and cheap to run.

Btw, if you decide to visit PowMow, definitely reserve your ticket online the day before. They sold out both weekend days I was there.
funny like a clown
1 ... 45678910