1 ... 45678
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Platte 2/2/15

Bosco DaSkia

skimore wrote
snoloco wrote
Let's face it, anything other than manmade snow and groomers in the east is a rare treat.  
Nonsense. Stop using MC as a reference.

Start here and go back a month and you'll see many powder days

http://www.stowe.com/explore/photo/?p=1

I have been getting fresh stuff all week long kid. 5 inches of fresh snow on a groomed base at Kissing Bridge today. It's really not that hard to find powder on the East Coast.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
It's an east coast year for sure. 64 here in Flag today at 7k. 50 on the tram dock in Jackson and the Wasatch hasn't been below freezing at 10k for the past 24 hours. Some scientist predict that this is a trend that we could see much more of during our lifetimes. Will the east coast become the new powder skiing mecca?

Looks like Plattekill is about to get some loving. I swear if I could I would be on a flight today to be there for Sunday through Wednesday. Should be getting real deep by Monday afternoon.

If this keeps up once I'm done with school I will be visiting and hopefully will be able to meet up with some of ya for some powskiing! Enjoy right coasters!

And....Powass, you just keep digging yourself deeper the more you type. You got some business sense......pfft.
Reply | Threaded
|

midatlantico
[X-posted to Conditions]

As someone who was there on Tuesday... Yes, it was not smooth as glass on the triple, but still plenty of fresh to work on the edges of the main runs.  The double was definitely less skied and the woods were divine.  I slipped under a buried log and ejected from both skis plus lost a pole.  All three items were totally covered by snow with the second ski taking nearly 10 minutes and the pole nearly 30 to find... I haven't had to engineer an S&R operation like that since I was in Silverton, Colorado !!  Yes, it was that deep.  Oh, and did I mention the absolutely gorgeous weather?  I understand the controversy but it was definitely overblown.  While I heard some grumbling in the lodge and I respect that for people who took time off of work it wasn't entirely what they expected, all I heard on the mountain was whoops and hollers.

Reply | Threaded
|

midatlantico
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Spend a week in SLC and you're almost guaranteed to get at least 1 storm.  Not super crowded out there either.
At the risk of starting another firestorm... I beg to disagree.  The Wasatch can ridge just like any western mountain range and not snow a flake for a week, two weeks even (I was skunked January last year). Of course, you said "almost guaranteed" so I won't hold you to that.

However, "not super crowded" is definitely not the case, even by east coast standards.  On a proper Wasatch powder day, you're talking tracked out by 10:30 am so that everyone can get to work -- yes, people ski waist-deep powder and then sit at their desks the rest of the day, it's a hell of a life I hear.  Even in the backcountry, 4:30 am wakeup calls are the norm if you want fresh tracks.  

The Wasatch skier traffic jam is a growing problem on and off the mountain.  I reported on it last year -- http://nextcity.org/infrastructure/entry/mountain-mass-transit-skiing-beyond-the-chair-lift-in-metro-salt-lake-city -- and interviewed Wasatch-based ski mountaineer Andrew McLean, who has blogged extensively on the topic: http://straightchuter.com/little-cottonwood-canyon-hurry-up-wait/
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
midatlantico wrote
 Wasatch skier traffic jam is a growing problem on and off the mountain.  I reported on it last year -- http://nextcity.org/infrastructure/entry/mountain-mass-transit-skiing-beyond-the-chair-lift-in-metro-salt-lake-city -- and interviewed Wasatch-based ski mountaineer Andrew McLean, who has blogged extensively on the topic: http://straightchuter.com/little-cottonwood-canyon-hurry-up-wait/
Nice one mid. That second link from straightchuter really puts the crowding thing in perspective.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Pow you are certifiably insane.  I feel that if I take the time to refute your horseshit I would be wasting my time on earth.
Harv, you may not like my suggestions or comments - but take the pledge, we will all be better off.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Word. I'm tempted to take the pledge a step further. If Powass is not banned, I'm out. It's like a redundant bad joke.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Looks like I'm several days past where this was still on-topic.

I haven't read the entire thread -- does anyone know if Plattekill breaks even on Powderdaize? I've tried to run the numbers in my head and can't figure out how they do it. If that's the case, the haters should find another cause.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
It seems they would do better on a powder daize if it was untracked and the customer knew that.  No doubt they lost some customers for that day.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
midatlantico wrote
 Wasatch skier traffic jam is a growing problem on and off the mountain.  I reported on it last year -- http://nextcity.org/infrastructure/entry/mountain-mass-transit-skiing-beyond-the-chair-lift-in-metro-salt-lake-city -- and interviewed Wasatch-based ski mountaineer Andrew McLean, who has blogged extensively on the topic: http://straightchuter.com/little-cottonwood-canyon-hurry-up-wait/
Nice one mid. That second link from straightchuter really puts the crowding thing in perspective.
YIKES!! I truly don't care how good the skiing is  ---- there's no way I would sit in that traffic to get there, or anywhere for that matter.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
Thacheronix wrote
Let me guess. You are 22
34 but, nice try.
Victory for you, making it this far

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Harvey wrote
midatlantico wrote
YIKES!! I truly don't care how good the skiing is  ---- there's no way I would sit in that traffic to get there, or anywhere for that matter.
Looks like I agree with camp on this one.  Ouch, those pics look bad.  Rather ski the east than deal with that mess.  At least I can actually get there.  Heck, I could probably have a better chance of scoring POWDER at MC before I fought my way through that absolute quagmire.  Even with the lift lines here it would still be better.  Now I have to look at Big Sky or Jackson Hole before those get ruined by the monster traffic jams, or I could just stick to the east.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by Thacheronix
Thacheronix wrote
LOL...Dude, you crack me up!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
pro2860 wrote
Thacheronix wrote
LOL...Dude, you crack me up!
LARRY
Reply | Threaded
|

steveyo
In reply to this post by midatlantico
As another guy there on Tues 2/3/2015...the snow was gorgeous where it was untracked  - along the edges and in the woods. It was a little disappointing to not get the freshest first-tracks down the straight, steep faces like we'd anticipated. But, on the main trails, the clumpy tracked-up pow under the windblown was butter-smooth, and the day was incredible.

Thanks for the pic to midatlantico above!!  I'm the dude in all black making the telly turn.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Peetex I don't have a problem with your suggestion. I just believe that as admin I should try to read as much of what is posted as I can.  

In this case I have access to the information and I know Pow to be incorrect.  The rental fee for the mountain is only a portion of the revenue generated by the group. Monday was a big day, Tuesday not even close to it. And his idea about running seven days a week is not practical.

Hey it might make sense to kill Powderdaize.  It's not a simple thing logistically. Weather is weather and often you don't know how much are going to get. What do you tell employees... maybe you are working tomorrow? If you did kill it and it snowed a foot midweek, you'd get your normal Friday crowd plus at least some the hounds and only have operating costs for one day. Would eliminate the drama too.

Johnny you'll be missed. Thanks for your contribution.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Harvey wrote
Peetex I don't have a problem with your suggestion. I just believe that as admin I should try to read as much of what is posted as I can.  
Read it yes if you want. The pledge is simply about not responding. You don't want to ban people, but you can ignore them.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
IMO you can't ban someone for repeating the same thing over and over. No matter how ridiculous you think it is.

Here's Glade accusing Plattekill of lying a bunch of times:

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Platte-2-2-15-tp4053975p4054251.html
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Platte-2-2-15-tp4053975p4054293.html
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Platte-2-2-15-tp4053975p4054278.html
http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Platte-2-2-15-tp4053975p4054293.html

I seem to recall another conspiracy theory about Whiteface lying about the slides to save the snow for themselves too.

Ban him?

Banning craziness isn't scalable, we're all crazy to some extent.

Sorry I'm cranky I just got off the phone with Comcast.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
And another thing. About my pass.

Four years ago I was in line for a lift ticket.  I had been doing a bunch of gratis web work (SEO mostly) for Plattekill and Laszlo pulled me out of line and said my money was no good there.  Because I am notorious for arriving early we both agreed that a pass would be easier for him as I wouldn't have to interrupt him before opening.  I'm extremely proud to wear a Plattekill pass.

I really don't like to take tickets from Hickory, Snow Ridge, Plattekill and a few other places. If they insist, I try to find some other way to pay it forward.  That is how the whole "free beers on my birthday" started. I thought, if Laz is giving me a pass, I'm going up into the bar and buying a beer for anyone with a ticket.  The amount I spent has more than covered my lift tickets for the whole season. I think we helped sell some lift tickets too.

I only get to ski Plattekill maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and if you think the $150 bucks I "saved" on lift tickets is enough to bias my opinion, you're nuts.  I may not be objective, but it has nothing to do with a few bucks.  I love that place, and think the Cats would be greatly diminished with only Hunter, Belle and Windham.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
skied platte today..nothing but smiles from  all of the costumers..
We need to end all this silliness..
the place is a gem , lets move on..
"Peace and Love"
1 ... 45678