Platte 2/2/15

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
145 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Platte 2/2/15

Bosco DaSkia
Ehh, I'm going to call Bullshit on this......

Harvey wrote
Look I get why some of you are pissed. But I have a different view. I make no secret of the fact that I'm a full-on Plattekill supporter and that isn't changing.  Feel free to dismiss my opinion if you must.
 And this line sums up why.

Your blind loyalty to this place is preventing you from seeing why many people feel as a though a type of bait and switch has been perpetrated. The operating days of Plattekill are well established. When a Powder Daize is declared on a Tuesday, it would be a natural assumption that the runs would have seen minimal traffic before opening on that said Tuesday.

I do not habitually look at web cams of supposedly closed ski areas to make sure there is no unannounced private party getting the goods before a supposed Powder Daize. The whole point of Powder Daize is that they were opening on that day specifically because the snow total on that particular day was worth the trouble of opening. I think that most folks would just take them at their word for it.

It seems to me that these most of these hurt feeling could have been avoided by simply letting people know that, that particular Tuesday was not going to be the first day of skiing scheduled for that week. The snow was unexpected, the group party after all, was not

When it come to snow totals or expected conditions, anything that leaves the customer feeling deceived can't possibly be good for the bottom line.  Once bit twice shy as the saying goes.

Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by Thacheronix
Thacheronix wrote
Glade Runner wrote
Apparently everyone likes tracked out pow and groomers.
O r maybe they have jobs or something else they have to do
More excuses.  Get your priorities straight.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
A few things I’d like to say:

Plattekill had their webcams pointed right at the mountain. They never turn of their cams to hide the truth. They mentioned the party on Facebook and apparently mentioned it to people calling. If this is an attempt to hide the truth it is a poor attempt.

The coincidence of a twelve-inch weekday storm during a rent event is probably rare.  It’s quite possible the staff didn’t anticipate this issue. On Saturday night I asked Laz about opening on Tuesday and he said “I just don’t know yet.”  

PowderAssassin your idea of "screwing over their normal customers" is nuts. Do you know Plattekill's "normal customers?"  Plattekill probably banked more on Monday from the church group than they do from an entire season of pow hounds. And they'll be back next year, the day after the super bowl, for their 6th annual event.  

Pretend you are Laz and a foot of snow is possible. What do you do, cancel the group? No way, that’s suicide.  Kill the opening on 2/3?   Open up on Tuesday and let people know what is happening?  That’s what they did, or tried to do.  It seems like many here knew the situation.  Should they send out an email saying don’t come?  Sorry if there wasn’t enough orange fencing around this for you.

Plattekill probably makes money 20-25 days a year and that has to pay for everything.  ALL the rest is window dressing. Fridays, Powderdaize, Mountain Biking all of it happens because you need to retain employees and you can't do that if you only offer 20 days a year of employment.

The idea that it’s not worth $45 to ski a foot new snow with tracks in it, is proof that Plattekill can’t build a business plan around powder hounds. Look I’m a hound too. I want to ski the best snow I can find. But if places like Hickory and Plattekill put our priorities over families and other reliable revenue sources, they are going nelsap. Then Powderdaize are gone for good.

The real issue here is one of branding.  If you look on the Plattekill website it defines Powderdaize as a weekday opening after 12+ inches of snow.  I don't see a guarantee of untracked.  The reality is that the Powderdaize hardcore have come to assume that the word means untracked. They think that because it always is untracked, or as we learned, almost always.

The image of the snowboarder riding some lighty tracked stuff is the standard Powderdaize image. Nobody really knows photoshop, they changed the date and ran with it.  If there is any legitimate criticism of Plattekill in my mind it is that they need to understand that the official definition of a Powderdaize doesn’t match up precisely with the organic perception in the market place.

You can interpret all this as a big conspiracy, but I don't see it.  In my opinion if you don't come back to Plattekill because of this it will be your loss and our loss.

Last thing: posting pictures of Magic on Plattekill's Facebook page rises to a level of douche-nozzle dick-waving that I can't comprehend.

Look I get why some of you are pissed. But I have a different view. I make no secret of the fact that I'm a full-on Plattekill supporter and that isn't changing.  Feel free to dismiss my opinion if you must.
I'm glad you finally came in to give your point of view Harvey.  However, did you not read what was posted?  Who argued that $45 was a bad price?  The price for untouched powder really could be $100.  The price doesn't matter one bit.  And this is a lesson to Plattekill.  No one said they wouldn't go back.  But, with the level of deceit, I'll be careful to pick a powder day there to make sure it is untracked.  Not that they advertise untracked but, because I seek untracked.

As for posting on their Facebook, that is what social media is for.  Asking direct questions on their facebook that were not answered.  Then the faithful attack saying goto Belleayre and everyone keeps going back to the price.  Or they say "I don't get what the big deal about first tracks is" or "good luck finding better conditions".  Posting pictures of powder in flat areas to be deceiving.  And clearly lying that it was still snowing after 4pm when the radar had passed long ago with nothing headed their way.  If first tracks wasn't a big deal these mountains wouldn't be profiting off it by selling first tracks passes before the mountains officially open.  And posting pictures of the goods on their site was just to show those douche nozzle whatevers what was up.

I see it is hard to have a different point of view.  You get a free season pass there to promote them right?  Blindly supporting everything they do is some dick waving douche nozzle sell out stuff if I ever seen it.  Apparently most of the people here either don't want fresh untracked powder or they aren't willing to make it their priority.  I'm seeing more and more why people turn to tele and head away from the mountains with lifts.  Untracked lines are something special.  Thanks to the few here who alerted me.  If I took off work to ride that tracked up crap I would have been pissed, especially knowing I could have taken off work to ride untouched pow all day.  It's about choices and luckily there was a better choice.  Basically all mountains are dead on a Monday.  So if Plattekill had 300 people there it was probably just about as tracked up as anywhere else.  Harv, you said they alerted us to the fact people were there.  Funny, it wasnt mentioned on their ski report.  You had to dig deeper, look at cams scroll the facebook, be on forums to get that info.  Most people check the report for the most accurate info.  Unfortunately the snow report didn't have that accurate information.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
The truth always lies in the middle, don't it?!  In this case, somewhere between Harvey and GR, IMHO.

No, I don't think Platty intended to deceive anyone.  Keep in mind their operation.  Handful of employees, only a few of which probably get involved in the tech side of things, someone perhaps picking up a phone without any kind of organized info to share about parties and Powder Daize.  Laz say yes, someone hits a few keystrokes, some amount of chaos might ensue, and the Daize is on.  So, no, GR isn't going to get a corporate PR approved statement when he calls for the scoop on Monday.  We are talking ski world mom and pop here, and I don't think we want it any other way.  We have to appreciate all of that, and that they even have Powder Daize at all, because they probably do it for their following, not to make money.

But as to that following, could they have done a better job to put a blurb on their website to inform the faithful that the circumstances for this particular Powder Daize were a little different from what people usually find, because of the party?  Perhaps they should have tried.  The webcam doesn't tell the story, and not everyone does Facebook.

So chalk it up to valuable lessons learned on both sides.  Better communication and always checking webcams.  Leave it at that and look forward to the next Powder Daize!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I can't believe the hoopla here. (And I pay for every dime I spend at Platty).  Any other mountain would have been more tracked up at the end of a Powder day than Platty even after the Church group.  All that I know is I will be there tomorrow and there is no doubt in my mind that I will still be finding untracked all over the mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
I still support Plattekill and I can't wait for the next real powder day there.  
Reply | Threaded
|

scottski63
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Woods
One last comment here. I posted a pic for fun to show some of the woods we worked on this fall. I'm not sure how I was deceiving anyone about how steep it was. Here's a pic from the same spot.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Looks better! Im a little jealous I havent been able to ski our new glade yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Marcski
Marcski wrote
I can't believe the hoopla here.
This IS an interweb discussion board......and we all know interweb discussion boards would be nothing without some measure of unnecessary hoopla!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by scottski63
scottski63 wrote
Woods
My main man, SR.  Always good to see him in pics!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
WOW

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I violated my own rule, posting 500 words when 25 would do.  I should have left it at "I don't see a conspiracy." From what I see that's the real point of disagreement. I see a failure to communicate.  You want a super smooth marketing department go to Stratton.

I made it clear that Laz, Danielle, Susan, George, Macker and Catskill Freeheel are my friends. Somebody called them liars. I disagree and defended them.

I had the pleasure of meeting Spongeworthy a few weeks ago. He told me I was the "voice of reason."  It take that as a compliment. But I got opinions like everyone else.  When you look at me, if you don't see a devoted Plattekill loyalist, you're blind. No apologies.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I think they have another powder.  You guys are on yesterdays rants.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
I don't think it was a conspiracy and they don't need a marketing department either.  I feel like you are just defending them cause you are bought and paid for.  Fact is questions were asked such as "Was the double chair running?", "How many people were in the group on Monday?"  Answers were not given.   Instead fluff that didn't answer the questions like "Conditions are great out there!"  They didn't fool me with that.  Not answering the questions was practically admission that it was all tracked up.  

But, we are used to that sort of thing from all the other resorts so we might as well just take it from Plattekill as well because they are the anti resort you want to love so much.  Most of the comments were towards idiots on there who blindly defended them.  Someone actually said I doubt a handfull of skiers tracked up the mountain.  Is a handfull 300?  

What was bad though was the hype that it was still snowing at 4 pm when the radar showed it was past them and not coming back.  That was an outright lie unless someone can confirm a fresh layer of snow on top of it.  But, everything else they said was true.  Conditions were great.  We knew that.  I want to be loyal to Plattekill but, I'm still going to go to where the conditions are epic every single time regardless.  Oh the glorious untracked powder!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
   When you look at me, if you don't see a devoted Plattekill loyalist, you're blind. No apologies.
Good for you, Harv.......fuck these whiny ass bitches!!! I've never seen anything like it, EVER.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
This is great, so much more fun than, "Do you prefer natural, or man made" threads. Color me a whiny ass bitch. Sorry Camp, you are wrong.

Since we've digressed to name calling, I think all you homers need to get your homer heads out of your homer asses and look at the facts.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
I don't think it was a conspiracy and they don't need a marketing department either.  I feel like you are just defending them cause you are bought and paid for.  Fact is questions were asked such as "Was the double chair running?", "How many people were in the group on Monday?"  Answers were not given.   Instead fluff that didn't answer the questions like "Conditions are great out there!"  They didn't fool me with that.  Not answering the questions was practically admission that it was all tracked up.  
1. You could see the double running on the web cam.
2. No ski area is going to tell you the day's attendance.

It is hilarious that you think just because you (or anybody else) ask a question you are entitled to an answer.
Glade Runner wrote
But, we are used to that sort of thing from all the other resorts so we might as well just take it from Plattekill as well because they are the anti resort you want to love so much.  Most of the comments were towards idiots on there who blindly defended them.  Someone actually said I doubt a handfull of skiers tracked up the mountain.  Is a handfull 300?  

What was bad though was the hype that it was still snowing at 4 pm when the radar showed it was past them and not coming back.  That was an outright lie unless someone can confirm a fresh layer of snow on top of it.
I have been at Plattekill multiple times when it is snowing and there is no snow showing over Plattekill on the three radar sites on my phone.

Glade Runner wrote
 But, everything else they said was true.  Conditions were great.  We knew that.  I want to be loyal to Plattekill but, I'm still going to go to where the conditions are epic every single time regardless.  Oh the glorious untracked powder!
Epic Every Single Time Regardless!  Good luck with that.....

Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Epic Every Single Time Regardless!  Good luck with that.....

I guess you don't read my trip reports.  
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This thread reminds of how lucky we are to be living in this country because man......these are some serious first world white people problems!

I can't imagine what it's like to be a tourist visiting a ski area like Jackson during a huge powder day. Spending all of that money to get and be there only to discover that without knowing how to work the mountain you don't stand a chance at getting fresh on the steeper terrain against the local sharks.

My suggestion for some of the naysayers is go get set up with touring gear and quit depending on lifts for fresh turns. Clear a glade some where for you and your buddies or cut the brush at some near by closed ski area. Sure the amount of runs is less but if you yo-yo all day the workout and satisfaction is so much more.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
raisingarizona wrote
quit depending on lifts for fresh turns.

This was fabulous this morning