1 ... 345678
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Platte 2/2/15

campgottagopee
Cornhead wrote
  Sorry Camp, you are wrong.

We're certainly entitled to our own opinions, it's cool.

I don't even care about Platte, not one single bit because I don't ski there and most likely never will. Just doesn't fit into my work schedule and when I take a vacation to go skiing I ain't gonna drive south when there's soooooo much more up north. I got involved in this thread because of someone going on FB and shitting on the place, that's just so lame.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
This thread reminds of how lucky we are to be living in this country because man......these are some serious first world white people problems!
Skiing is a serious first world white peoples sport (for the most part), so what's your point?

raisingarizona wrote
My suggestion for some of the naysayers is go get set up with touring gear and quit depending on lifts for fresh turns. Clear a glade some where for you and your buddies or cut the brush at some near by closed ski area. Sure the amount of runs is less but if you yo-yo all day the workout and satisfaction is so much more.
I agree with that.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Pages and pages of crap fest.
Reply | Threaded
|

skiwnw
LOL so true.  Only 11 though...come on, lets go for 12!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Snowballs
yep...
The way I see it, Platte made a slight fopa. There was no malice. This place is run by people that do their best not to deceive their costumers...

Peace and Love
"Peace and Love"
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
man this topic was beaten like a rented mule. i don't agree with what platte did and would be quite upset if i took the day off. but enought already. we are luckey to have the platte's , magics and hickorys of the world. i am old enough to remember when both magic and hickory were closed. these mountains offer us great terain and allow us to chase storms that do not hit the entire area. most likely one or all of these places will not survive in our lifetime. enjoy them while you can
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Let me guess. You are 22
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Thacheronix wrote
Let me guess. You are 22
34 but, nice try.  What's your excuse?  I ski with some guys in their 50s that are far from being as lame as you.  They get out for midweek powder days.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
My suggestion for some of the naysayers is go get set up with touring gear and quit depending on lifts for fresh turns. Clear a glade some where for you and your buddies or cut the brush at some near by closed ski area. Sure the amount of runs is less but if you yo-yo all day the workout and satisfaction is so much more.
That sucks ass compared to skiing lift serviced terrain. It's the equivalent of a lift taking 1 hour to get to the top and then you're exhausted. What exactly does this b.s. have to do with powder being tracked out on a powder daize?

Bosco DaSkia wrote
Here ya go dude.... 16 inches of fresh un-groomed powder on a pre-groomed base today.... Lots of folks got on it, what kept you away? The lack of orange fencing perhaps?

I can't wait to hear why this isn't up to your standards.
LOOKS EPIC!
I've been calling snow ridge awesome for a long time on here.

BTW- I'm not really familiar with magic. I didn't know they never groomed. I'm just going off what I've heard other people say.  That place is definitely not for me. I'm not sure how you could run a mountain in the east with no grooming with all the rain/thaw cycles and grooming sets up a butter soft base. Softness is what powder is all about. Unfortunately there's not a lot of option for pow on the east with the "groom everything" crowded circus atmosphere at many big corporate mountains.

In my opinion they're being penny wise and dollar stupid doing that. Just like with their lack of snowmaking. A little investment in grooming(smart grooming like snow ridge/berkshire east) and a little more snowmaking and they'd be in a lot better financial situation and offer a MUCH better product.

Just my opinion.

If I owned plattekill, I would simply not rent out a public mountain and just keep it open all week long. If I did rent it out, I'd put on the contract that if it snowed more than 6 inches on that day I'd have to cancel on them, I'd give the party a FULL refund and give them a FREE day of their choice. This would be to protect my usual customers/passholders.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
 Plattekill probably banked more on Monday from the church group than they do from an entire season of pow hounds.

Pretend you are Laz and a foot of snow is possible. What do you do, cancel the group? No way, that’s suicide.  Kill the opening on 2/3?   Open up on Tuesday and let people know what is happening?  That’s what they did, or tried to do.  It seems like many here knew the situation.  Should they send out an email saying don’t come?  Sorry if there wasn’t enough orange fencing around this for you.

Last thing: posting pictures of Magic on Plattekill's Facebook page rises to a level of douche-nozzle dick-waving that I can't comprehend.
They rent the mountain out for $2500 right?

At 45 bucks a pop, on ONE powder daize if 50 people show up that's $2250. If 100 people show up all day that's 4500. So not sure where you get your math from. I'm not a platty regular. Do only 10 people show up on a powder daize? That would be fairly epic if true!?

I think it's completely fair posting pics of the competition. FB exists for customer feedback. Customer feedback is how you know what your customer's want.

You do realize I ski without orange fencing right? It was simply a suggestion to increase safety on some trails. You could also pad the trees on the edges like lift towers.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Bosco DaSkia
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote

LOOKS EPIC!

Indeed you have been calling Snow Ridge awesome. However, that's not Snow Ridge in the picture there, and that makes me wonder if you have ever actually been to Snow Ridge.

That there picture is of the wonderful Woods Valley. Land of bountiful snows.

Just to jog your memory, this is what Snow Ridge actually looks like....

Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
PowderAssassin wrote

LOOKS EPIC!

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
To answer snowylover a zone banned member questions on platty you can't cancel someone already made an agreement to renting out the mountain that would cause bankruptcy. And I sure a good percentage of people on powder day have season passes ignore button back on. Why do you love to go on ski fourms and annoying the shit out if people to they ban you I ?
Scotty
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
PowderAssassin wrote
You do realize I ski without orange fencing right?
It's apparent. Seems like you've hit one too many trees
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
 Platte made a slight fopa.
Sacre Bleu, a faux pas !

I suppose this will ignite 10 more pages of crap fest.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
PowderAssassin wrote
Unfortunately there's not a lot of option for pow on the east with the "groom everything" crowded circus atmosphere
http://vimeo.com/118880791
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Let's face it, anything other than manmade snow and groomers in the east is a rare treat.  You can ski natural terrain in the east quite frequently, but unless you've recently got snow, it's usually thin, icy, and not much fun.  Accept it, embrace it, and ski powder when you can, or follow my advice to PowderAssassin below.

Pow, if you want to ski powder on wide open trails, here's your plan of attack.  Take a short break from reading NYSB and go to southwest.com.  Book a plane ride to SLC using their wanna get away fares.  Then post a TR of how awesome it was to ski real western powder.  Spend a week in SLC  and you're almost guaranteed to get at least 1 storm.  Not super crowded out there either.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
Accept it, embrace it
What have you done with snoloco?

Pow you are certifiably insane.  I feel that if I take the time to refute your horse$hit I would be wasting my time on earth.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
The horse was dead 5 pages ago.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Let's face it, anything other than manmade snow and groomers in the east is a rare treat.  
Nonsense. Stop using MC as a reference.

Start here and go back a month and you'll see many powder days

http://www.stowe.com/explore/photo/?p=1
1 ... 345678