145 messages Options
12345 ... 8
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Platte 2/2/15

JTG4eva!
ml242 wrote
100 people riding slow lifts is not the massacre you guys are making it sound like.
No, but it doesn't take much to cut up a very good portion of the terrain.  Sure, the woods might not have been touched, and probably still powder on the sides and lots of nooks and crannies.  Yes, it will be a great day.

Sure, a Powder Daize brings out a different level of skier from what the church group might have had, but a hundred people can actually track things up quite a bit in just a couple of hours.  At least they did in the last Daize I did.....

Personally, I can probably squeeze out a couple days a season to call out midweek.  Would you spend one of those precious days at Platty tomorrow for a half of a Powder Daize, or Magic that was untouched today other than by the few who skinned it?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I guess that would depend on where you live. Magic and Plattekill are two of the brightest gems in the entire Northeast. Neither had as much traffic as just about any area they're next to today, and far less grooming, so I don't think you can go wrong. There just seemed to be a lot of negativity about a sweet pow day, the beauty of which (if you can go) is that 99% of the people that want to be there will be watching on the webcam.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Platte is calling for a powderdaz tomorrow..I just notice on their cam that they are opened today?
If so, no need to take off work for sloppy seconds..
    Jason, you are always giving more reasons not to go skiing than just going, if people listened to you they would never go. Any ski day is still better than any day at work.
   I took off last Friday and skied Plattie and was rewarded with a surprise powder day. Don't type about it do it.
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Giving excuses for not skiing? Hey I just spent over a week in Europe skiing in 3 different countries..If I'm going to blow off work it better be special..Usually a Platte powerdaize is special..Just not this time..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
JasonWx wrote
Usually a Platte powerdaize is special..Just not this time..
Agree
Reply | Threaded
|

Dewey
It's BS what they're doing.  I was 20 minutes into my 1 hour drive thinking it would be an epic powder day.  Luckily I called and got someone in the office who said "there was a party here yesterday but skiing is great".  I asked if there was any untracked pow and he told me "I can't tell you that".  I said 'why not?'.  He was incredulous about it and finally said there may be some stashes still in the woods somewhere (although that's where he was skiing yesterday).  Essentially it's all cut up and skied in and they're selling it as a powder day.  I think it's great that they have Powder Daize but don't BS people and pull shady crap like that.  Be honest.  It goes a long way to building up the loyalty a small mountain could have.  Platte screwed up on this one.  Good for them that they rented out for a party but you won't get my $45 today to ski cut up (and groomed BTW on some trails) snow when it's supposed to be a powder day.  

You dropped the ball on this one Platte.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dewey
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
It wasn't a 100 people according to the office at Platte yesterday.  The lady told me it was 500 people.  the fellow today said it was 200 people skiing.  That can cut up powder mighty quick.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
My plans for Magic got shot to $hit by my lame @ss in laws, but my brother regrouped and is at Platty today.  For a day in the Cats after a storm it's still gonna be better than the others, even if it isn't a Powder Daize.  At least it's an option today, albeit a cut up one, because of the storm.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
I bet it awesome their today.
Scotty
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
ScottySkis wrote
I bet it awesome their today.
Yeah I know because you're a internet keyboard commander who doesn't know how much better fresh untouched snow is. Only an idiot would have gone to platty instead of magic today.

It's all tracked out. That's not a true powder day. THat's the day AFTER. 100 people skiing for hours and hours will chop everything to hell. It's not thousands of acres like a western resort. It's only what...about 1000 feet vertical? That's the same size as MC. lol

Plattekill rents their mountain out. You always call the day before to find out if it's untracked. It's a rookie move to just go there. It's also horrible that plattekill would not TELL people outright on their facebook page that it's been tracked out. That's not a good business practice.

Imagine someone driving 4 hours and staying at a hotel and calling in sick to work and the whole place is tracked out? I'd be mega pissed. The whole point is fresh pow.

If plattekill figures people will pay for sloppy seconds than they'll do this every storm and the fresh pow will not longer be had. Take a stance and don't pay them money. It just encourages this crap.

Look what they're advertsing. That's fresh untracked. B.S. deal. Sorry. I tell it like it is.

14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
They told people on Facebook page so who the idiot.
Scotty
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
ScottySkis wrote
They told people on Facebook page so who the idiot.
You are. I actually edited that to keyboard commander instead of idiot. Honestly, the fb thing was way down about them renting it out and showed 3 people on a chairlift and it was above a bunch of other stuff they posted about the powder daize with NO MENTION of it being tracked out until people started specifically asking because they saw the webcam of people skiing it.

And........

Why's it not on the conditions page? Wouldn't it make sense to mention it's been tracked out? WTF?!

TRAIL REPORT

REPORT FOR:  Tuesday, February 3
IT'S OFFICIAL:  OPEN TUESDAY for our first "POWDER DAIZE" of the season!!!  As of 1pm on Monday we've received 12"+ of NEW SNOW and snow is expected to continue thru the evening.  Tickets on Tuesday will be $45 (no discounts/coupons applicable on Powder Daize).  Absolutely AWESOME conditions out on the slopes as the snow is the SOFT, FLUFFY AND LIGHT CHAMPAGNE KIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We will be 100% in operation with all 38 trails open for Tuesday...COME AND GET IT!!!!!!!!!!
Skiing and Riding --  8:45am-4:15pm
- See more at: http://plattekill.com/about-plattekill/trail-report#sthash.jjyzcPJX.dpuf

People on FB were bitching at magic for not opening monday. IT WAS  a good call. I'd much rather ski a foot plus and deal with descent roads than skiing 4-5 inches of snow(that's how much they had at 9am monday)

This sums up the mentality of alpine zone posters:
I'm pretty sure benedict posts on alpine zone just like you right?

Benedict Gomez I've never understood the "first tracks" mentality. I've skied almost my entire life and "second tracks" & "third tracks" really isn't that much different. Must be a psychological thing.
Like · Reply · 3 · 20 hrs

John Corrigan Well come on .... there is a major difference when skiing powder if every bit of the run is in untracked snow. There isn't much better in life than blasting through 14 inches of untracked powder! So if there is one track on a trail it can easily be accomplished ... same with two or three but once it gets cut up it just isn't the same experience.
Like · 19 hrs
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by ScottySkis
I'm 52yrs old..I don't use FB and never will...So that don't count..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
For once I finally agree with you powder assassin.  I even did master magician for you.

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
PowderAssassin wrote
Yeah I know because you're a internet keyboard commander
Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black!

Somebody who thinks they should get bulldozers on the top of Mansfield should just logoff and regroup
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Well, I drove up to the mountain this morning (as I was already in Roxbury) and sat in the truck for 1/2 hour debating... Kept looking up at the thoroughly tracked up main runs and the 4 degF on the thermometer.  Decent conditions for sure but left without booting up, drove back to Manlius and spent a 1/2 day in the office.  Must be getting picky in my old age.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Shoot me now, I actually agree with Pow Ass!

My brother and I were all set to leave for Magic at 5:45 this am to make the 3 hour drive.......until my useless, stupid, $&@"ing in laws $&@"ed it up in the middle of the fecking night......and even if I could have gone my brother overslept so we would have missed lift opening.......but no, I'm not bitter!  Had Platty not been open yesterday we would have planned to go to Platty, but fortunatly people figured out here what was going on, so we changed to Magic.

But, I digress.

Anywho, all kinds of skiing is great, and the day after conditions were probably stellar today at Platty.  I'll find out from my brother, who changed up plans and went there instead of Magic due to his late start and driving alone.

That said, a true powder day is a singularly unique experience.  It's a hard to come by, somewhat fleeting (read: doesn't last long) experience that elevates the skiing experience.  Ok, enough of the flowery bullshit philosophizing! It's just cool, and fun, and the feeling of floating in a sea of untouched powder is just different, period.  Most people never have that experience.  Sure, many powder days get tracked out quickly, leaving absolutely great, but cut up, conditions.  However, as great as the leftovers are, the elusive powder turns are just better.  They just are, for those who can ski it.

That's why the Platty situation is disappointing.  Not that they rented out the place yesterday.  Not that they offered great day after conditions on a weekday they normally wouldn't have been open.  That's all great.  However, it would have been simple, and more forthcoming, had they said they were going to be open for a "Powder Daize" in accordance with their day after policy, but that the mountain was open Monday for a private party and they would be offering excellent skiing and riding conditions rather than a typical Powder Daize experience.  

People want the full on Powder Day experience.  It's great Platty often provides people that elusive experience the day after a storm.  Doing so has gotten Platty a name.  Everyone needs to respect that, and that didn't happen in this case.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Has the recent run of good conditions spoiled everyone?

I'd rather eat leftovers than go to bed hungry.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
ml242 wrote
Has the recent run of good conditions spoiled everyone?

I'd rather eat leftovers than go to bed hungry.
well put. this is why i only ski 10 times a year. i spoiled myself a few years ago
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
You post same stuff here that you snowlover posted on a zone to they banned you. Same crap . I ignore from now on.
Scotty
12345 ... 8