classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
196 messages Options
1 ... 45678910
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Plattekill Conditions

Petronio
And, the conditions were excellent to boot.  Great coverage all over.  Looks like there is still some powder in dem woods, but you probably have to hunt for it.

BTW our first time at Platty.  Like the vibe and definitely worth the extra 30 minutes past Belleayre.  Not a lot of blue and black cruisers which I prefer but some really nice trails.  Good variety.  Those double blacks and blacks along the lift lines are a lot of fun.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This post was updated on .
Petronio
It’s Normally less crowded then today also.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
Brownski wrote
Petronio
It’s Normally less crowded then today also.
That's crazy because today wasn't crowded at all.  How do they stay in business?

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
This weekend will go down as possibly the most stoke-filled ski weekends for me thus far. After working nine, 10-14 hour days straight performing a bathroom renovation in a one bathroom house, (customers were living in a hotel) it was time to hit the slopes. My brother came up Thursday night, and we headed for Gore Friday morning.

I also met up with a good friend of mine who lives near Kingston.  We met in Albany and car-pooled up there. It was his birthday. Gore skied amazing. One of my best days with almost every trail open, great coverage everywhere, and plenty of glades. It was cold, but the day passed by and I felt like I only got to ski a very small portion of what the mountain had to offer us.

In honor of Tim's birthday, we ended the day with a meal at some really nice family friendly owl-themed restaurant in Albany. Thank God my brother is still underage, and can drive.

Got up this morning feeling decent and headed to Plattekill. I don't think I have to describe in too much detail how things were at Platty today, because if you were there you should know. Got to ski a few runs with Glen Plake, and even had a chance to chat with him later in the day. He signed, and gave me what he claims is a "limited edition" poster in honor of Woodstream Ski Area. It's possible that he may make an appearance someday. Who knows. Either way, it was a nice surprise, and it's not often I get to ski both of my favorite mountains back to back, relax a little, and ski with Plake all in the same 36 hours.

Me, my siblings, Greg, and of course, Plake.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Nice Ethan!

Petronio they will stay in business if YOU do your part!

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Awesome Ethan. Sorry we missed you. I had to get to Albany so couldn’t stick around for the apres
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Platty was awesome today.  Conditions were packed powder and powder.  Very nice packed powder bumps on skier's left of Plunge.  Hit up Blockbuster - that was very fun, but seemed like it had been groomed so not many bumps except for skier's left.  

Also, Glen Plake (sp?) was at Platty!  This was my day to introduce my family to Platty, and as I was watching my son make a snow man, I saw the Plake bus.  Perhaps this should be in the ski van thread - clearly this one is intended for on-road.  I did not get to see the great Mr. Plake, but I did chat with a woman at the bar who got a picture with him.  

My kids really enjoyed the mountain.  My wife a bit less so. I may be putting my son in the seasonal program there next year because they have a four week option.  

PS - I saw Laszlo loading the double around lunch time when I snuck in my family-less runs.  I said hi in a super-excited stawker-kind-of-way, and let him know he is famous on the blog.  He was very nice during our short conversation.  

Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Also - this blog is awesome.  I was taking the double solo Plunge and was chatting with a stranger.  Turns out it was (I think) Scottski.  Nice to meet you in person.

Best,
D
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Awesome!! Congrats Ethan!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The stoke is running high!

Email me your best Plake pics if you want to help with a piece we are working on!

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Will do by email.  Got two shots.  That thing was so cool.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead

Glen and a former member.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ridgerun
Reply | Threaded
|

Carv-R
As the trendsetter and icon that he is, I wish Glen would wear a helmet, and am surprised that, given his experience and success in vehicle racing, that he doesn't.  
He seems to be a responsible guy, and with that mindset I'd think he'd understand that he encourages behaviors by those who follow him.
Sure, ski hats look cool. But the jury has returned its verdict very clearly regarding head injury, and the odds are strongly in helmets favor, doubly so in the hardpack East, but also in tree skiing out West.
C'Mon Glen, do the right thing: stick a faux-mohawk on top of a helmet and set a good example.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Ugh. Do we have to argue about helmets again?

Consensus forum position is: it's a personal choice. Let people decide on their own, including Glen Plake, regardless of your personal feelings on his position.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Ugh. Do we have to argue about helmets again?

Consensus forum position is: it's a personal choice. Let people decide on their own, including Glen Plake, regardless of your personal feelings on his position.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000

Old school = no helmut (i spelled it that way on purpose)
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Nothing wrong with encouraging healthy behavior. As a health care professional, I often see the human carnage of reckless, unsafe behavior. Glen Plake is strongly anti alcohol and drugs due to personal issues and he never misses a chance to express these views as he is hoping people will follow a healthy lifestyle and avoid his past mistakes. People can make up their own minds but they information to make an informed decision.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
After skiing with Glen for a lot of the day on Saturday and being in his skin tour going up on Sunday, I can assure you he is anything but reckless.  
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
I never said he was reckless. Glen has chosen not to wear a helmet but has chosen not to use alcohol or drugs and I applaud his campaign against the ski bro culture of getting wasted.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Skiing with or without a helmet is very risky behavior. As is driving on the highway or swimming in a pool.

1 ... 45678910