classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
460 messages Options
1 ... 78910111213 ... 23
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sweet Car Thread.

JasonWx
The Prius is a little different. When you come to a light and the engine shuts off, you are on battery power until you get up to a certain speed. To me there is a lag with just the gas powered engines.

I drove some rental Mercedes and BMW's also a GM something.  (they upgraded me to those brands)
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I’ve heard similar complaints about the lag in start/stop systems in the past. I’ve always wondered why nobody has tried a conventional diesel/electric such as is used on locomotives and heavy industrial equipment. Maybe somebody with an engineering background can explain why.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
The Prius and Insight are different in that the Prius' primary source of power is the battery, whereas the Insight's primary source is electricity.  For the Insight, the engine is always on.  In either case, the secondary source backs up the primary source.

Aside from when the battery is low, the Prius engine comes on when a lot of power is being drawn, e.g. air conditioning.

"Mild hybrids," such as the Chevy Silverado (c. 2004) used to shut down the engine when coasting or at a stop light.  The battery itself was used to control the electronics when the engine was off, but didn't actually power the truck.

I can't help but think - as taxis especially - it helps air quality.  I think >50% of the taxis in Vancouver are hybrids.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
The Insight sucked in the summer. No a/c at a stop unless you use the e brake and put it in neutral. An Insight is also cheaper than a Prius. On the Insight, the electric motor is in between the transmission and the engine if I recall.
 This is the sweet car thread so check this hybrid out.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterlyon/2018/07/27/porsche-hybrid-beats-f1-champion-to-become-worlds-quickest-race-car/
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
HOLY! ^^^^

You have to be careful what you ate for breakfast because you’re experiencing up to 5.8Gs in the corners.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
5.8 is totally insane....a vette only pulls around 1g..
5.8 is something a fighter pilot experiences ..granted a F18 pulls more then 9 g's..still 5.8 will make you grey out a bit..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I know. That's totally crazy.

And the guy beat the track record by nearly a full second. yikes
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by JasonWx
I think F18 pilots wear anti-gravity suits, though.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Not here yet but I read in my trade magazine that Mazda will introduce a new engine in 2019 which is a combination spark & Diesel engine that uses conventional gasoline but burns it differently, has a very high compression but still prevents knock not needing high octane gas. It’s supposed to have better torque than a diesel and 20 to 30% better fuel efficiency than today’s gasoline engines. They think it will set back electrics & hybrids.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
As long as the price is in line with current gasoline motors it most certainly will set hybrid/electric back.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Good news. Innovation is driven in large part by high or rising gas prices.  Cars will be aerodynamic forever, courtesy of the 1970s "energy crisis."

Post a link if you see one?

As mentioned another time wife wanted an "electric car" (in 2012) so we drove the Prius and liked it.  I thought we should drive the Insight as I am a Honda fan.  If really felt like a piece of junk.  The start and stop was especially crappy.  The Prius, even after six years, it's hard to tell when you are running on electric or when it switches gas engine on and off.

We didn't drive the Civic Hybrid because the wait time was six months to get one.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Anyone been watching Mecum Harrisburgh? I'm going next year as it's not far from me at all. For around 20K a guy can buy one sweet toy.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/PA0818-329839/1987-gmc-sierra-pickup/

Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by Harvey
One point to note is the prius was 4k more msrp than insight in 2011. You know how long you have to drive either to save that 4k in gas? Do the math on $3/gallon at 15k mi per year. Hell even double it to 30k mi per year. Say, 7 more mpg avg in the prius isn't really that much if you paid 4k more.
   In other news, the 1st gen Acura Nsx was a better investment than the stock market.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-03/the-classic-acura-nsx-is-a-better-investment-than-the-dow
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Johnnyonthespot wrote
One point to note is the prius was 4k more msrp than insight in 2011. You know how long you have to drive either to save that 4k in gas? Do the math on $3/gallon at 15k mi per year. Hell even double it to 30k mi per year. Say, 7 more mpg avg in the prius isn't really that much if you paid 4k more.
I didn't realize the Prius got better mpg. I kind of assumed the Insight beat it because it seemed slower. The Prius gets about 50-55 depending on who drives it.

I thought the Insight was junk and didn't want to buy it. Not fond of the interior or driving position either. Luckily for me (since sometimes I drive it) my wife agreed.

All of that is irrelevant. We bought that car because my wife wanted it.  We just bought some rug I thought we didn't needed for $600 too.  That all pales next to the land, excavation, well drilling and carpentry I bought in the Adks.  You ever buy stuff for your wife that, by your calculation, doesn't make sense?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Harvey wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote
I didn't realize the Prius got better mpg. I kind of assumed the Insight beat it because it seemed slower. The Prius gets about 50-55 depending on who drives it.

I thought the Insight was junk and didn't want to buy it. Not fond of the interior or driving position either. Luckily for me (since sometimes I drive it) my wife agreed.

All of that is irrelevant. We bought that car because my wife wanted it.  We just bought some rug I thought we didn't needed for $600 too.  That all pales next to the land, excavation, well drilling and carpentry I bought in the Adks.  You ever buy stuff for your wife that, by your calculation, doesn't make sense?
Only like every other day. Lol. I have some ugly rugs too. We just trip over them and get them dirty. Then she complains about it. Good times.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE ANY EXOTICS?
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Doesn't everyone?

My Sunday driver is a Bugatti

Oh how I wish

I did have an exotic fish once
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
   Me too, well if a piranha is even exotic, I had 3. The first two were Beavis and Butthead, the 3rd was Hannibal.
    The college thread has me thinking there may not be any exotics for me in the near future.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Doesn't everyone?

My Sunday driver is a Bugatti

Oh how I wish

I did have an exotic fish once

go to Youtube and check doug demuro review of the new Bugatti...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote

i don't have this problem..my wife makes alot more then me
"Peace and Love"
1 ... 78910111213 ... 23