460 messages Options
1 ... 181920212223
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sweet Car Thread.

campgottagopee
x10003q wrote

FYI - I can buy a low mileage, used 2017 Camaro SS with a 455hp/455 lb-ft V8  that will run circles around these Yenkos on a track and pay just  $30k. It includes all the modern amenities and safety equipment and I won't be afraid to drive it every day. These are crazy horsepower days as Mustangs and Challengers also can be bought for similar money with 400+ horsepower, too.
In no way am I trying to take away from the modern day muscle because I too am a fan. However, anyone can buy a 17 and drive it. How many do you want? 10? They're all over the place. The charm in owning a survivor is the attraction, to find a nice straight car is a challenge and they all will have a story. That's what makes them so special and desirable.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
campgottagopee wrote
x10003q wrote

FYI - I can buy a low mileage, used 2017 Camaro SS with a 455hp/455 lb-ft V8  that will run circles around these Yenkos on a track and pay just  $30k. It includes all the modern amenities and safety equipment and I won't be afraid to drive it every day. These are crazy horsepower days as Mustangs and Challengers also can be bought for similar money with 400+ horsepower, too.
In no way am I trying to take away from the modern day muscle because I too am a fan. However, anyone can buy a 17 and drive it. How many do you want? 10? They're all over the place. The charm in owning a survivor is the attraction, to find a nice straight car is a challenge and they all will have a story. That's what makes them so special and desirable.
Very true, but there comes a point were you only drive them on Sunday mornings because of the value. I cannot even imagine the pure joy of owning a Yenko and the pure fear of driving one.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I showed Al this thread and he was very impressed with the info coming from a bunch of skiers.  He seemed to know much of the info provided by the VIN, but he didn't know that it was built in LA. He said something like "the VIN probably tells you it was originally a six, right?"

One thing piece of info he did appreciate was the info in the Fort Pitt link.  Apparently the owner told him the car was in his family since it was new. It made him skeptical of the owner and he said he was going to be careful about getting paid.

Also apparently the REASON he is having a hard time finding a block is because the owner wants a block with the Yenko stamp on it. He'd never heard of Fort Pitt and was going to reach out to them.

Al is my main man, he has saved me thousands of dollars over the years.  I'd do anything for that guy.

My main man Al

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
NICE!!! That guy even looks like a wrench, good ones like Al are hard to find.

Yeah, there's no way that car has been in that family since new. He better get some cash now!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Up until last summer I lived across the street from Al for 20 years.  It was several years before I knew he was a mechanic.   I thought he just did body work. I took my CRV over there to have him look under it to check out the rust. He noticed new brakes and said "who did that work for you?"

I said "the dealer."

He was like "how much for that, maybe $700?"

It was $675.

He said "I'll do that same job for $275."

I've been going there ever since.

I was walking to work in those days. It was awesome to walk out the front door, go across the street, hand Al the keys and say hey man can you change the oil?  He'd grab the car out of my driveway, do it and return it to my house before I got home that night.  FKN awesome.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
It has Yenko stamped on it
Yenko got permission to produce aluminum ZL-1 427 blocks from GM and sold them thru his performance shop for car racing and marine use from about 1975 - 1987. They were cast with the Yenko crest or Yenko in block letters.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/BG0610-97404/yenko-zl1-aluminum-engine/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZL1-Aluminum-Block-3946052-Yenko-Can-Am-Series-Chevrolet-Camaro-Corvette-/153689730237
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Also apparently the REASON he is having a hard time finding a block is because the owner wants a block with the Yenko stamp on it.
Being we know it's not a yenko car that is just silly. He should drop a big block in there with a big friggin blower sticking out of the hood. Maybe even tub the ass end. FKNA 💪
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
So you are saying you are surprised that an uber rich dude with a horse farm who lied about owning the car since 1969 is silly?
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Harvey wrote
So you are saying you are surprised that an uber rich dude with a horse farm who lied about owning the car since 1969 is silly?
BSing about car ownership in today's world is silly as Camp just proved in about 2 seconds.
Here is a company that tracks Fords.
https://www.martiauto.com/martireports.cfm
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
💯
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
it's not a yenko car
What is the difference between a yenko car and a car with a plate insides the firewall that says yenko on it?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
campgottagopee wrote
it's not a yenko car
What is the difference between a yenko car and a car with a plate insides the firewall that says yenko on it?
About $250,000 ..... LOL

As X said anyone can make a plate and call it yenko. Yenko has a registry of every car they did at the dealership, that's what makes them special and rare.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I would think that would be a brand they would want to protect?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
It's buyer beware. If this guy truly thought he was buying an original Yenko, they saw him coming.Being it was listed for 85K my guess is he's playing mind games.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Hey Camp, when do the 2021s hit? I find myself looking at new cars all of a sudden. Where are the deals now?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
The next model year typically start hitting Sept-ish and later. Each manufacture is a bit different but that's a good rule of thumb.

Right now there are certainly good deals but the issue is finding something you want to buy. New cars are still hard to find and used prices are absolutely insane. I bought 10 cars today, and I know I'll get sick from the prices I had to pay.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
campgottagopee wrote
The next model year typically start hitting Sept-ish and later. Each manufacture is a bit different but that's a good rule of thumb.

Right now there are certainly good deals but the issue is finding something you want to buy. New cars are still hard to find and used prices are absolutely insane. I bought 10 cars today, and I know I'll get sick from the prices I had to pay.
Ah, I guess my timing isn’t perfect this time. I like those end of model year deals. A frontier or Tacoma is my logical choice but I’m considering going small this time and doing an Impreza or even one of the little Hyundais. I guess I’ll just go look at some point
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Not a Ferrari fan..But the new Vette is amazing..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
1 ... 181920212223