1 ... 15161718192021 ... 23
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sweet Car Thread.

Sick Bird Rider
campgottagopee wrote
Totally cool.

Wonderful car. Hopefully still driven as much as possible. Previously owning a triumph I know how they break sitting still.

I still hope I'll own a TR8 someday. Or a Sunbeam Tiger. One of those would be sweet.
Yes, he does drive it a fair bit in the summer. They even drove it on the long trek up to our neck of the woods two summers ago, a five hour drive in a modern vehicle.

Nice choices for your vintage cars Camp. The Alpine is super cool, and pretty rare I think. And the wedge shape of the TR8 was pretty far out at the time. My choices from that era would be a TR6 or a Volvo P1800ES. Has to be the ES though:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yes!!!! My old boss has a P1800 that he damned near died while picking it up. Long story. The P1800 is SO far ahead of it's time. Excellent choice đź‘Ť
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I had 2 of these. Handling by Lotus. Designed by the late, great Giorgetto Giugiaro of Italdesign. Japanese reliability, english suspension, with a touch of Italian dressing! The performance numbers in the video are slower than reality.  

I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Love this thread  
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
That's no shit. The Isuzu vehicross was ahead of it's time too. That car was wicked cool
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Yes!!!! ....The P1800 is SO far ahead of it's time. Excellent choice đź‘Ť
Practical and sporty, that's me. That car might be coming back, Volvo released some concept images of a vehicle that was supposed to unveiled at at the 2014 Geneva Auto Show. I wonder where that project ended up?

I'd want one of each, just for shits and giggles:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
campgottagopee wrote
That's no shit. The Isuzu vehicross was ahead of it's time too. That car was wicked cool
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Speaking of British cars, here is a recently unearthed video of Jonny Jay's (AKA my brother) 1969 Triumph Spitfire Mk 3. If I've posted this before, my apologies, but it seemed relevant to the current drift.

The car has been in our family since our dad bought it new in 1969. In retrospect, I think he was having a mid-life crisis. I was too young to drive it back then but it sure impressed the early girlfriends when you got dropped off in that thing. My brother acquired it in the early 70s, drove it out to Whistler and back, then it sat in a barn for many years. When he could finally afford to restore it, he hired a pro, and helped out by sourcing parts in the early days of the Internet. The restoration cost more than the original purchase price but the results are worth it IMHO. Not the original paint but at least the original colour. The video was made by his son (AKA The Green Beret) for a school project. Filmed on location in the Franco-Hinterlands, just a short hop across the border from Malone, NY:

Excellent vehicle. I loved the ironic choice of music as the Heavy Metal Thunder verse lined up with the popping of the hood to see the 1.3L /63 hp engine.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
campgottagopee wrote
Totally cool.

Wonderful car. Hopefully still driven as much as possible. Previously owning a triumph I know how they break sitting still.

I still hope I'll own a TR8 someday. Or a Sunbeam Tiger. One of those would be sweet.
These are awesome choices (as is the groovy Volvo)- but - if I can somehow avoid the 400 plus HP available in some versions of the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger that you can by for 20K, the Honda S2000 is becoming a very interesting choice.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
The Miata is a solid car too
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Staying in the theme of sporty little convertibles, you've got to admit that the Porsche Boxster is a pretty cool car.

Today's award for excellent spreading of good cheer goes to the couple driving around our town in their dark blue Boxster, top down, the passenger in full pink Easter Bunny costume, waving at everybody as they passed by. 10 points!

Not my picture, someone else captured them later and posted on FB:

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Anything Porsche is cool to me.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Totally cool.

These are awesome choices (as is the groovy Volvo)- but - if I can somehow avoid the 400 plus HP available in some versions of the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger that you can by for 20K, the Honda S2000 is becoming a very interesting choice.

Yes, the S2000 is a fun car. I've driven quite a few of them and like the car.
For older Japanese sports cars I've always liked the Supra and the 240Z. Toss the RX7 in there too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Volvo P1800ES
My best man picked up an P1800 in college not sure if it was an ES. What is an ES?

It was in incredible condition, it had some miles on it. I think it had that venerable B20 engine that was in the classic Volvo wagon, but it was so much lighter, it got 40 mpg.

He drove it a long time, until, when he lived in Boston and someone totalled it while it was parked. Hit and run too.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ES = wagon

The 1800 was originally a coupe only car
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Yea his was a wagon, he called it "the bullet."

It was a mustard color, I think that was original paint.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
campgottagopee wrote
Anything Porsche is cool to me.
except when you need to repair it..
my friend has 4 yr old 911 ..blew the awd transfer gear thingie...10k repair
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Did he buy it used? I can't imagine that if he bought it new that Porsche wouldn't help it out with that.
That said, unless abused, a 4yo Porsche shouldn't have an issue like that.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
bought used

had 50k miles on it
paid around 50 k for it not bad considering the new one is north of 100k
and it is a rag top too

he lets me drive it and it's a ball!!!
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
JasonWx wrote
he lets me drive it and it's a ball!!!
No wonder the transfer case took a shit!!

Ha!
1 ... 15161718192021 ... 23