classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1194 messages Options
1 ... 78910111213 ... 60
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Golf Thread

warp daddy
Saweeet , .......makin coin and makin da shot when it counts , suckin the cash outta their pockets at the same time r DONT GET MUCH BETTER  Campster .

I'm bettin a few tinnies were consumed that day
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Played the High Peaks Golf Course on Sunday in Newcomb. Beautiful little 9 hole course:

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I've played there before, it is a fun course with a couple neat holes on it.

I also always liked Cronins, played many a round there.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Had another decent round today  40/39 for a 79 . 10 pars and a birdie also holed one out from 20 yds off the green. must be the warm weather but the shots are dropping.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Nice WORK Warp!

My game is starting to show some improvement, which is VERY encouraging. I'm still not happy with my scoring clubs (short game), but I'm starting to hit it solid again which is a good feeling. Not playing but a handful of times in the last couple of years has really taken it's toll, but we're comming around. I actually feel as if I have an idea of where that stupid little ball is going to go...  Next goal is to stay away from BIG numbers, that's what is killing my score right now---the blow up hole---the damn blow up hole

Or, it could just be LOFT (LackOfFuckinTalent)
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Glad to hear your game is coming around Camp .    The key is just playing more often and trying to stay  smoooth on the swing and not trying to overpower it , low n slow on the backswing  works for me , then at release let the juice flow  That and a few little tweaks i made in grip and learning when to lay up rather than let my ego take over ,really helped .

it is hard when u r working to get out frequently  , whereas i can and do play  2/3 times a week regularly , sometimes 4 times a week and that makes a diff.   Blow up holes suck  bigtime,.     We all  experience that time to time , the damn game is a humbler .

I have learned to laff it off and just say to my self " OK fool NOW u just gotta hit a "golf". Shot .

keep it on the short grass pardner !!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
You're not kidding about needing to play. When I was putting up good scores I was playing 4 to 5 times a week and hitting balls religously. Now I'm lucky to play twice a week and rarley hit balls......BUT, I'm having WAY more fun. I'll leave the good scores to those who are willing to put in the work
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Got our for a quick 9 after work yesterday w/ Racer ---- he was 3 under and I was 4 over, nothing like getting beat by 7 shots in 9 holes
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Plus 4 is a very decent round Campy , and  Racer was smokin at -3 ........great shootin guys !!<smiley image="anim_jump.gif"/p
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Got our for a quick 9 after work yesterday w/ Racer ---- he was 3 under and I was 4 over, nothing like getting beat by 7 shots in 9 holes
What are you complaining about - I am lucky to be plus 4 after 4 holes.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
x10003q wrote
campgottagopee wrote
What are you complaining about - I am lucky to be plus 4 after 4 holes.
HA....Heck, Sunday I was 4 over after the first hole  .... i was having "issues", some may call it a case of the brown bottle flu
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Playing in Nysef tourney this weekend so I have to play the back tees.  Played a practice round from there yesterday.  Damm that is a lot of golf course from back there at 7100 yards.  Had to play out of my mind to break 80.  I'm just not long enough off the tee to play the par 5s and long 4s from back there.

This proves out the play it forward campaign that USGA is promoting.  Golf is more fun if you are not hitting 3 woods into greens.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Agree Coach ---- 7100 is looooong!!! You need to be a REAL player to score from there. That said, it's amazing to watch the real deal guys back there and how they manage their game. I've played a few Pro-Ams at Pro's brother's place (he's a pro too---whole friggin family of them), his course from the tips is something like 6900 (i think) and that's all the course I ever want to play. Anything longer than that I'll just sit back, drink my beer, and work on my golf clap.

I'm having a blast playing this year, and want to play a lot. I haven't wanted to even really play for the past 3 or so years, but for whatever reason I'm back into it......feels good.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Totally agree coach with your comment about play it forward ,

My club pro suggested it for many my age .

I modified the play it forward thing , so that i now play senior tees ,EXCEPT on par 3's or any long dog leg hole where  you just want to get it to or thru the turn . I also play the reg tees on  any long hole that would require smart layups to avoid trouble like multiple ponds or other terrain obstacles .

using the PGA guideline i now try to map out a course that is around 5800 yds . This has made the game more enjoyable for me at 71  . One other adjustment i made  is  to scope  out the hole and plan my shots from the green back to the tee :) .
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Out early this am had a dcent for me round : 40/39  for a 79 with 11 pars and a bird but blew up and double bogeyed a damn par 3  ugh .  Normally  i would use a 5 hybrid on this  par 3 but i screwed up in the wind with my 6 iron . Just a lousy decision .
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by warp daddy
How do you report scores for your HCP if you mix the tees up?

Key to playing it forward is making the approach shots reasonable based on your avg driving distance.  Like your approach but it makes reporting tricky.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Coach Z wrote
How do you report scores for your HCP if you mix the tees up?

Key to playing it forward is making the approach shots reasonable based on your avg driving distance.  Like your approach but it makes reporting tricky.

Any HCP system I've ever seen ask's you for what set of tees you played.......it's all based on the rating, slope, index, etc for that set of tees
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Coach to answer your question , we do not handicap .The guys i play with are strictly out there for fun . We refuse to play in senior leagues ...... Frankly they take too damn long . We can whip around 18 in the time the league plays 9 .:)

A  pga formula that our course owner suggested was to determine your average distance with a 5 iron a nd multiple that by 36  to come up with the course distance that is optimal for you . my avg 5 iron is aprox 160-165 so the course yardage comes out to 5760 to 5940 so i try to split the differance at 5800 yds . hey it works for us and has made GIR,s more attainable .
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
After 3 straight rounds of 82 last week , got back on track with a 79 today .The warm weather really helps starting to get some roll and  the greens are playing pretty true right now
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
A  pga formula that our course owner suggested was to determine your average distance with a 5 iron a nd multiple that by 36...
Hmmmm... 6912...

My problem is never the distances, it's my crappy short game and tendency to spray shots in every direction.

39 in my league on Monday with three 3-putts.
1 ... 78910111213 ... 60