1194 messages Options
1 ... 14151617181920 ... 60
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Play it forward

Z
I was rolling lately after shooting a 72 on Wednesday night.  I have to play from the Gold tees in a captain and crew next weekend so yesterday I decided to get in a practice round from those back tees on the Mountain course.  I shot an 85 but it felt like a 100.  It was a brutal death march and after playing a stretch of 5 holes at 465 par 4 back to back 600+ yard par fives, 280 yard par 3 and 455 yard uphill par four the wheels totally came off the wagon playing those 5 holes 7 over par.  I couldn't get my game back after that for the rest of the round.

That was the equal of someone that shots 100+ playing the blue tees on the links course at 6500 yards.  Golf is just not fun when you are always hitting shots with long clubs.  it was not intended to be like that so I do love the play it forward concept plus its much faster.

Played a fun round on the links today from the new combo tees where 4 of the longer holes are played from the whites.  its still 6000+ yards and I had a nice fun round of 73 with one double bogey when I was playing thru and a bunch of birdies.  Much more fun than yesterday and I was able to get my stroke back after losing it yesterday trying to bomb it.  That just is not my game I'm more the steady eddy type.

Played the back nine with TJF.  He is a good stick and plays fast like me.  We had a nice round and a good talk.  He is good off the tee and has a really nice short game.  I've never seen anyone play right handed but putt left handed before.  It freaked me out a bit at first.  I'd play with him again anytime.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Play it forward

Harvey
Administrator
Nice. TJ is a great guy to ski with too.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
It was good playing with you coach.  Will be sure to play again when your schedule loosens up.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Stuck in a golf rut played 4 times this week so far ,  each score was 81 , and in identical sequence a 41 / 40  for the front and back nines .. Weird !
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Try playing a different set of tees to shake it up and hit some different clubs and shots
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Not a bad suggestion coach ' tried your pre drive rocking motion the last 2 rounds ......like it !  

gave me a tighter pattern and seems to laser in on the target,, thanks foe the input !!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Copied it from several pros.  Seems to work for me
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Pro is on a roll!!!! 2 W's in a row....total of 3 for the year so far

Apparently ALL that skiing in the winter is good for your golf game
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Way to go PRO ur da man !!

Well the  Weird golf karma continues for me , shot another 81 again ... The last 5 times out it been 81  

Today i bogeyed the last 2. Holes , took a damn penalty on 18 which screwed me up .
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
tj try dragging your driver on the ground in the start of the take away. drag it for 4 - 6 inches. feels funny but gets it on the right plane.

i also enjoy playing it forward. i play a local course called orchard creek. 6100 yards. lots of 8-sw approach shots.
just makes for a better game when you are putting for birdie

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
sig
That is a very good tip.  It's a Tom Watson thing.  Works real well for driver and fairway woods.  Not great for irons because it is a sweeping motion which does not generate enough hitting down on the ball for irons in my experience

You guys watching the U.S. Open?  This course is insane.  Norman is doing commentary
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
i only use it for the drive.  can fox please stop showing every shot tiger hits. it is sad.
not a big fan of fox's coverage. i know it is new
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Yeah i also use the slow n'  low  drag routine  on the tee when using the   "Silly Stick  " , seems to work fine .

That course for the open  is  unreal . Some  of those approaches. Remind me of  trying. To make. pinball shots

Those vids showing a guy bouncing the damn ball down the fairway like he was dribbling a BB. Were insane

simply illustrates how GREAT these pros are with their ability to adjust to pretty weird conditions , i was glued to the set last nite , it is a fun thing to watch  i imagine a 10 handicap would have trouble breaking  100 at that place
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I think a 10 would have trouble shooting 120 considering the length at almost 7500 yards and the amount of sand and deep fescue.

If the wind kicked up Sunday the carnage for the pros would be huge.  I've played true links in Scotland and Ireland and wind is what makes them crazy hard.  I'm sure the usga did not plan for how dry it is.  The firm conditions make it so hard to control the roll
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
The happiest guy at the US Open might be Greg Norman.  Dustin Johnson now is the owner of the biggest choke in a major.

Norman was actually really good as an announcer.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Coach Z wrote
The happiest guy at the US Open might be Greg Norman.  Dustin Johnson now is the owner of the biggest choke in a major.

Norman was actually really good as an announcer.
 That's just crazy talk right there. Norman blew a 6 shot lead and shot 78, a far cry from Dustin being tied for the lead and shooting even par.

The only reason Norman even sounded relatively good as an announcer is because he was sitting next to Joe Buck who was god awful

Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I think I am getting my drive under control... kinda, angling my left wrist up so the club handle is directly at my belt buckle has helped with hitting the ball solid.  The low and slow Ill give a shot on the range.

As far as the tourney.  I did not like the course at all.  To many silly bounces.  Yeah they all played the same course so it was equal but very unappealing to look at.  Johnson blew it but those greens did not have true rolls.  The put coming at it for eagle broke like crazy coming back up at it no break.  GEEZ   Great finish but overall I rate a c.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
That's just crazy talk right there. Norman blew a 6 shot lead and shot 78, a far cry from Dustin being tied for the lead and shooting even par.
Also Norman was one of the dominant guys at the time right? I don't know who Dustin is (hey I don't follow golf at all) but I'm assuming he's a solid player who had a great week and maybe choked or just came up short.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Also Norman was one of the dominant guys at the time right? I don't know who Dustin is (hey I don't follow golf at all) but I'm assuming he's a solid player who had a great week and maybe choked or just came up short.
Good point. Norman was def a dominant force back in those days. Dustin is also right up there but I wouldn't call him dominant. He missed 2 very crucial putts down the stretch. Hard to blame it on just two putts as I'm sure there were many other shots as well he'd like to have back. Hats off to Jordan Speith --- he played an awesome tourney and is a deserving open champion. He maybe on his way to greatness  ----- anytime your name gets mentioned in the same sentence as Tiger Woods, Jack Nicholas, Arnold Palmer and Ben Hogan imo you're on your way
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
dustin is arguably the best United states player. that drive he hit on 18 was incredible. most of us on this blog would of hit his eagle putt off the green. i saw a video that showed his bridie putt bounce off the ground and change direction.  what a cow pasture that place was.
1 ... 14151617181920 ... 60