1194 messages Options
12345678 ... 60
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Golf Thread

Z
I hate it when they have weddings right behind the 18th green on the LP Mt. Course.  The correct play is to add 2 clubs to the distance given the big hill.  Yesterday with a wedding in full swing a pulled only one extra club and dumped it short in the front bunker leading to my only double bogey of the day.  Took two to get out of the bunker because you don't want to thin that sand wedge right into the bride.  You also have a hundred people watching you play out of the sand.  

That double for a 76 instead of a 74 made a pretty good round feel bad.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Puhleeze...was the wedding on the back fringe?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
pro2860 wrote
Puhleeze...was the wedding on the back fringe?
BWAHAHAHAHAH

Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
There is 5 feet between the green and the wedding and you are hitting two extra clubs so in this case I should have hit a 7 iron from 125 yards but I hit an 8 and came up short
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by Z
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
Hahahah!  Exactly!  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
"Reasons why I didn't get a better score" golf stories are worse than "bad beat" poker stories.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
mattchuck2 wrote
"Reasons why I didn't get a better score" golf stories are worse than "bad beat" poker stories.

Tru dat....all my bad scores are due to "LOFT".
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
this shit wouldn't fly in the the golf, chuckin 'n beer thread
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
gorgonzola wrote
this shit wouldn't fly in the the golf, chuckin 'n beer thread

Damn spiffy!!!

no whining in that thread, wont be tolerated
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
Recently one of our members achieved a rare feat...on our 12th hole he hit the pin on the fly from 160 yards and the ball bounced off the green and he made double. On the 13th hole he holed out his second shot from 160 yards for an eagle 2 and on the 14th hole, a 145 yard par 3, he made his first career hole in one! I don't know what the odds are to do that but I think one would have a better chance of winning the powerball lottery..
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
pro2860 wrote
Recently one of our members achieved a rare feat...on our 12th hole he hit the pin on the fly from 160 yards and the ball bounced off the green and he made double. On the 13th hole he holed out his second shot from 160 yards for an eagle 2 and on the 14th hole, a 145 yard par 3, he made his first career hole in one! I don't know what the odds are to do that but I think one would have a better chance of winning the powerball lottery..
WOWZERS, and I thought I was the only one to do that

you guys better get that dude a trophy, that crap just doesn't happen
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by pro2860
pro2860 wrote
That is an amazing feat! That dude was on fire
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
It was a quick burning fire...he shot 89
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Golf is a stange game , i waited till i was 69 last yr to Finally break 80 barrier , yet today shot a decent for me 37/40/77. It is my fifth sub 80 of THIS season . today 10 pars a bird and 32 putts .... Lovin that Ghost Manta putter i just got a couple weeks ago been under 34 putts consistantly .

Finally learning the discipline to lay up and avoid trouble  rather than just bombing the big stick all the time has seriously helped lower my scores
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
Nice shooting warp!

I agree as a better player I want to be aggressive but sometimes the smartest play is to avoid trouble. Hybrid clubs have taken several strokes off my HCP.  My 4 hybrid is my reliable go to club and I hit it instead of a risky 3 wood often.  On a 5 par if you can't reach in 2 just play for position.

I've heard that the rule of thumb is you can put one hybrid in your bag in your 30's probably a 2 or 3. Another in your 40's most likely a 4. Then the 5 comes once you hit 50.  I have to wait 3 more years for that but I certainly have been thinking about a 5 hybrid.  Wrap you are almost 70 so the 7 wood is ok for you.

After my even par round the golf gods got even with me for awhile.  After 2 rounds a row in the 80's I hit the range and got dialed back in and then played a fun round on the Pristine 9 with my son.  That got my back on track for a 73 tonight with my 1st eagle of the year.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Coach !!! a 73 is magnificent ;) You obviously have put time and effort in the game and it shows . I find that playing smarter has been the biggest boost to my game . As an ex jock i had to learn to check my ego at the door and leave the big stick in the bag when it makes sense to lay up  

BTW Got NO woods in my bag at all  Just my Cobra ZL driver and  2,3,4,AND 5 hybrids . i hit my hybrids well and then have 6 thru my wedges and our boy The Ghost

For shits n'giggles. i could play a fairly decent round with a couple o the hybrids, they are great sticks , once ya get used to 'em

Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Golf is, IMO, not really a sport but more of a skill. Haven't played much the past few yrs. So fr this yr only 3, 9 hole rounds. Last one was the best, 3 over for 9 with a double bogey on a par 3, one bird, 7 pars. Short game is hit or miss when you don't play very much, Driving the ball or full swing iron shots are kind of like riding a bike, don't really forget once the muscle memory is programmed.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
if you play a few times a year, ride a cart and drink beer while doing it I could see the the not a sport comment

I always walk the 6+ miles, finish my rounds in under 3 hours, and grind the whole time to shoot in the 70's.  Its a sport to me.

A big part of why I'm playing so well this year is that I've made a commitment to really work with more lifting and core work which allows me at 47 to hit shots out of the rough I could not hit in my 30's.  Tiger changed the game to make it much more athletic.  

Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Interesting observation coach , i too at 70 am in thegym 3 times a week lifting liteweights, doingother cardio exercises likerunningon thetread, rowing , biking etc and also power walking each day . My core strenth has also icreased my flexibility and helped me to keep going at this age . So for me it too is a sport THAT alo requires skills and analytical ability as well.
12345678 ... 60