138 messages Options
12345 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Jay Peak Tram

PeeTex
Benny Profane wrote
I got into a fight in the tram line at Jackson a Hole last year. That guy had no sense of humor, either.
Dicks are everywhere.
You going to do the same gig on the Rockies next season? Now that I got that Mountain pass plus - going to have to use it. Maybe our paths will cross.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by snoloco
What is the capacity of the tram per hour? Is it realistic to increase capacity to the summit?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Benny Profane wrote
I got into a fight in the tram line at Jackson a Hole last year. That guy had no sense of humor, either.
Dicks are everywhere.
You going to do the same gig on the Rockies next season? Now that I got that Mountain pass plus - going to have to use it. Maybe our paths will cross.

Not Colorado. I've concluded that Vail corp. is the devil. I will have an MC pass. So maybe I'll just ramble. Sure like to get to Europe before I die, too.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
What is the capacity of the tram per hour? Is it realistic to increase capacity to the summit?
The Jay tram holds 60 people. Typical time up is seven minutes, so 60 people every 14 minutes, round off to 15 for loading/unloading, makes for a potential 240 people on the top every hour. What does this tell us? I have no idea.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Bubble chairs are pretty sweet for ganja smoking.

Did I ever mention that threesome I once had on a bubble chair?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Not Colorado. I've concluded that Vail corp. is the devil. I will have an MC pass. So maybe I'll just ramble. Sure like to get to Europe before I die, too.
Yea - me to. For as much as I have traveled I never had the stars align such that I could take a ski vacation in the Alps. There were many a trip to Switzerland (the food sucks) or Austria but I never stayed long enough to tack on some skiing. I don't plan on visiting Vail but Winter Park/Mary Jane is OK and I love Copper, I have fond memories of building up my nerve for cornice jumping there.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote

So is that where you pleasured yourself with both hands?
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote

I heard about a cleveland steamer in the Mountain Creek cabriolet once.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
ml242 wrote
cleveland steamer
I had to look that one up - good god, that is sick beyond the sickest thing could dream up.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by ml242
The Jay Peak Tram can do 360 pph.  It has 2 cars and while one goes down the other goes up, so there's always a car going up.  If it takes 7 minutes for one car to go up, they should be able to cycle it every 10 minutes with loading and unloading, so this number is correct.  I think that the tram should remain as the summit access and that there is limited trail acreage up there, so having a higher capacity is probably a bad idea.

The Flyer can handle 2,600 and the bubble chair that I proposed to replace it should do about 3,000.  That replacement isn't the first priority, it would be a HSQ to replace the Bonaventure Quad.  It should be a Doppelmayr lift, using the high wind chairs to keep it running in most conditions.  The Bonaventure Quad would replace the Jet Triple.  The Jet Triple would be reused as a lift on a new alignment starting from the base of Kokomo and ending at the top of The Flyer.

After this was complete, the next thing would be to replace The Flyer with a bubble 6-pack and reuse The Flyer to open up that new expansion that was proposed.  That would increase the amount of intermediate terrain available.  There need not be any more lodging expansion and this is just doing what is needed to bring the skiing up to speed with the bed base.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
snoloco wrote
The Jay Peak Tram can do 360 pph.  It has 2 cars and while one goes down the other goes up, so there's always a car going up.  If it takes 7 minutes for one car to go up, they should be able to cycle it every 10 minutes with loading and unloading, so this number is correct.
This is why he is going into engineering and I became a professional nature winkie.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
raisingarizona wrote

I heard about a cleveland steamer in the Mountain Creek cabriolet once.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
snoloco wrote
The Jay Peak Tram can do 360 pph.  It has 2 cars and while one goes down the other goes up, so there's always a car going up.  If it takes 7 minutes for one car to go up, they should be able to cycle it every 10 minutes with loading and unloading, so this number is correct.
This is why he is going into engineering and I became a professional nature winkie.
haha

eggineers are serious people
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
The other thing I forgot to mention is that the relocated Jet Triple as an upper mountain lift to serve the northern glade aspects would be of a low capacity design to keep the trees from being too crowded.  Instead of 1,800 pph, it would do about 1,000 pph.  That would keep the glades more fresh.  It would be pretty long for a fixed grip (5,200 feet), but would be  primarily an expert only lift (tree skiers don't mind fixed grip lifts), and those who didn't want to ride it could always use the bubble chair (or just go to the waterpark).  It would also be designed to run in higher winds than the current HSQ or the new bubble chair.  I'm currently creating a google earth trail map of Jay Peak to show the new lift locations.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Benny Profane wrote
not at all surprised by this admission.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Lmao THAT And some are so narrow that they know everything about nothing . and their counterpoint toward the other majors is yeah BUT you guys know Nothing about everything.

Had 3 decades dealing with engineering and other students . So many great kids ,but some were lost in space in term of emotional intelligence , brilliant but anti social  and contrarian .thankfully most were blessed with a sense of humor .

One unigue perspective is that Engineering faculty often extract pain on their student as a pleasure in a perverse form of payback for having had their asses kicked in engineering school .

All in all great people  ( have several engineers with multiple advanced  degrees in my family ) but they truly are THEY who Think OTHERWISE. Hahahaha
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Benny Profane wrote

Hey, my buddy said it was OK to cut in line a little to join him. Sheesh. People get sooooooo sensitive when there's a foot of fresh up there.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

noip
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by MikeK
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
Benny Profane wrote
ScottyJack wrote
Benny Profane wrote

Hey, my buddy said it was OK to cut in line a little to join him. Sheesh. People get sooooooo sensitive when there's a foot of fresh up there.
Skiing is very serious business (that's sarcasm btw)in Jackson and a lot of the young men there take themselves awfully serious. That and the fact that many of the young and newer to the valley men haven't been laid in 6 to 12 months doesn't help either. 10 years ago I was visiting from Telluride where I spent the season of 2006 and had a guy on the tram dock start to give me shit for absolutely nothing, some tourists for whatever reason wanted to know my name and if I was an "extreme" skier. I laughed it off and told them that I was just a ski bum and this just set the one season wonder boy off. He said some not very nice things, I just smiled.

I have seen skis get tossed off the dock onto the pavement below in front of the ticket windows during the first box line up. Every now and then someone would leave their skis in line and then disappear to go inside and stay warm. This did not sit well with some of the locals.
12345 ... 7