Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The Jay Peak Tram

MikeK
Banned User
noip wrote
kinda not cool
kinda an engineer joke... don't take it personal.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
13 years ago I took an Avie 1 course up at Silverton. One of the other students was an engineer from Albuquerque, a real friendly guy but you could tell that when the instructors wouldn't give him absolute black or white answers to his questions on if it was safe or not safe to ski it kind of drove him nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

noip
In reply to this post by MikeK
pretty sure I have worked with people on the spectrum that are coders, and i've held a systems engineer gig before (wasn't that great at it because I am a dba) and I know it's not the same but what you posted isn't cool
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
noip wrote
pretty sure I have worked with people on the spectrum that are coders, and i've held a systems engineer gig before (wasn't that great at it because I am a dba) and I know it's not the same but what you posted isn't cool
Sorry to offend you.  I can delete it if you like, but you'll have to delete your post too.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
13 years ago I took an Avie 1 course up at Silverton. One of the other students was an engineer from Albuquerque, a real friendly guy but you could tell that when the instructors wouldn't give him absolute black or white answers to his questions on if it was safe or not safe to ski it kind of drove him nuts.
I find that strange because most engineers I know see things as one giant shade of grey.  There is no certainty like uncertainty.

I joke because I'm an antisocial asshole and I can't even blame it on a disease.
Reply | Threaded
|

noip
i am not offended

just saying it for your benefit.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
noip wrote
i am not offended

just saying it for your benefit.

I guess but I'll be giving you side-eye next time you decide to roll by with a troll because other people get hot and bothered about someone's comment.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
FWIW I did get some email from people who were offended by the autism meme.  I know two families with a child affected by autism, it's a tough thing for a parent.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Delete it then.  I don't care.

Everybody is offended by something these days... I'm usually pretty pc when it comes LGBT and disabilities, but Christ on a cracker, it's just a joke, and one I didn't even make (this meme is a public floater).  If a comedian said this in a HBO special, people would laugh.

If some asshole on the internet posts it, everyone is offended.

I have no disrespect for autistic people and have been called autistic myself, although I'm really not.  In fact I think it's one of the most interesting disorders out there... I kind of wish I could do some stuff that certain autistic people can do.  I'm even hesitant to call it a disorder in some cases because some autistic people have such amazing abilities, but the fact that they have trouble functioning in society makes it so.

This site really needs to decide what it wants to be.  If you want good, wholesome family fun, then you have a lot of cleaning up to do.  If you want a free-for-all, then you need to accept the consequences that someone might get a little miffed now and again.

How many times did I email you when someone called me fucked and said I had fucked up parents?  Does there need to be a meme involved to trigger this?  Can people not say something for themselves?  Should you write a blog about it and take someone's side?

Running a forum is tough, it's like being a politician... you're bound to piss some people off and you may even get a few followers.

Sorry if I offended anyone.  I was just picking on Sno for being a wonk.  And even that he knows.  And should get used to it based on the path he's taking.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
MikeK wrote
This site really needs to decide what it wants to be.
Why?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
There is a lne between lively exchanges on differing opinions and being Dick.

Mike frequently crosses the line in his short tenure here.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
IMO, I think it's ridiculous that by the second page of this thread about Jay, we are talking about the Simpsons. Then by the fourth page, talking about shitting on each other, and making fun of autistic kids. I briefly read through this thread, wanting to learn about the tram at Jay, and this is what I get. I am beginning to question why I am part of this forum. I love reading the front page articles, and I have been involved in some threads that have been very fun. In fact, I know, personally, several members on this forum who are solid people, and that makes it fun. My observation: There seems to be a certain group of members, not mentioning names, but I could, who have been thread-jacking these conversations a lot recently. Just an observation.

My two cents: put in a HSQ or a Bubble that starts at the top of 39. For us real skiers, thats all you need. But I suppose some people like the whole top to bottom option.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Are you really that bothered by a thread drift or a turn in a conversation?

Throttle back kid, it's just a form of light hearted entertainment, life will be a lot easier for you if you don't take yourself so seriously.

Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
It's been a rough season for many. Were at the beginning of a long summer.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Even if you barely move the needle, we all fall somewhere on the spectrum, whether we are talking Autism, ADHD or Bi-Polarity.

I haven't been to Jay Peak since 1998. But my kids' parks and rec program make an annual trip to the water park.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm interested in autism since it seems to affect so many where I live, and I thought about breaking this out into the OT.  I can't tell if it is more pervasive now or merely diagnosed more often.  The question can get contentious too.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
My two cents: put in a HSQ or a Bubble that starts at the top of 39. For us real skiers, thats all you need. But I suppose some people like the whole top to bottom option.

Yes Jay really needs a lift that avoids the flat spot at the bottom which especially in the spring becomes soupy.  If it's primarily going to service black terrian it can be a fixed grip.  Put a HSQ in the place the Bonnie and use the Bonnie for a new mid mt lift from the bottom of where Beaver pond glades comes out up.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
Coach Z wrote
Ethan Snow wrote

Yes Jay really needs a lift that avoids the flat spot at the bottom which especially in the spring becomes soupy.  If it's primarily going to service black terrian it can be a fixed grip.  Put a HSQ in the place the Bonnie and use the Bonnie for a new mid mt lift from the bottom of where Beaver pond glades comes out up.

I'm having a major deja vu. Myself and few other Jay regulars had this identical idea in the "Jay Peak development" thread on AZ two years ago. One poster (FromTheNEK) has excellent Google Earth layout skills and had the whole thing mapped out in 3D. I will try to find the images when I get home tonight but that thread is pretty buried these days.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Are you really that bothered by a thread drift or a turn in a conversation?

It doesn't necessarily bother me, I just think it's stupid. I joined this forum to talk about skiing, and related topics such as outdoor sports. There are plenty of stupid internet forums out there. This site just seems a little closer to home, and when people get way off topic it just kinda kills the vibe. I have participated in some of these off topic conversations, and concluded that they aren't really as much fun.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
As promised, here is the plan drawn out by from_the_NEK back in 2012. Existing lifts are red, proposed lifts are purple. Lifts to the right are proposed in reality for the theoretical West Bowl development. We named the new lift the Ullr's Bowl Chair:

Drone's eye view:

Long view:

The discussion started about here:

A discussion about a new chair at Jay on AZ

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report