Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Weather Models predicting a big event next Monday

campgottagopee
This one missed us here in CNY....little rain and strong winds but nothing we're not used to.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Sandy looped around and gave the Hinterlands a backhand whack. Very windy and rainy at SBRHQ last night, things have calmed down now. Widespread power outages in Ontario, including where I work. We arrived, made a few calls on the "bat-phone," did some outside clean-up and called it a day. Thanks for the extra day off this week, Sandy!

Where the heck is MadPat right now? Lots of road closures in WV, he won't likely be able to drive to the snow till Thursday.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Where the heck is MadPat right now? Lots of road closures in WV, he won't likely be able to drive to the snow till Thursday.
I've been trying to get ahold of MC2 this morning to let him know 32 is closed, but no response yet.
I wonder if cell towers are down?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Part of a note I got from PSE&G, one of the large energy providers in NJ:

"Hurricane Sandy has impacted more than 1.2 million PSE&G customers, making it the largest storm in PSE&G history.  The walls of water created by the storm surge flooded a large number of PSE&G stations along the Passaic, Raritan and Hudson rivers, disrupting service for about 462,000 customers in Hudson, Essex and Middlesex counties. The magnitude of the flooding in contiguous areas is unprecedented. PSE&G had to take these stations out of service and will have to wait for the flood waters to recede before we can assess the damage, dry out the equipment, replace equipment when necessary and re-energize the system to restore service. It will be a slow, painstaking process."

My family's good fortune... well I just can't believe it really.  Most of our windows are old/original (1932), and the rattling last night was something to behold. None gave way. Power went out at 5pm and on this morning at 8am.  Many in our town are still without.

tBatt - where is Route 32?

It could be tower outages or maybe just the volume of traffic?  With internet out, lots of smart phones using data.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Mattchuck and MadPat are jussst abouuuut here...

Apparently Route 32 isn't part of their plan.

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Harvey
glad you are OK Harv!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
Wait a minute.  These guys drove down to WV, through a hurricane, to flop around in a foot or so of wet glop that fell on unfrozen ground?  Holy shit.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
A foot? Try three to four.

MadPat is on an 84 month streak of skiing. He has to ski something by the end of tomorrow in order to continue and get 85.

Rt 32 is the main route to Canaan Valley. Where are they planning on skiing?
Reply | Threaded
|

brn2skifst
In reply to this post by Noah John
We got power back in Hopewell, NJ this morning about 8:30. We were definately among the lucky ones. Many trees down along the main routes in the area but minimal flooding of the usual suspects (Millstone River, D&R canal). I got tired of waiting for comcast to get my TV and internet going so I called Verizon and added the mobil hotspot. It works remakably fast in 3G. I normally get 4G at my house but who knows. I am only getting a trickle of news on what going on. 101.5, the NJ radio station is down for some reason. Glad all the NYBloggers seem to be well. Harvey, where are you located?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by tBatt
Yes the drive to 85 is barely alive.

They are going to head as far as they can, hope to get into WV find a motel and plot tonight and tomorrow.

I think Snowshoe is on their radar.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by tBatt
tBatt wrote
MadPat is on an 84 month streak of skiing. He has to ski something by the end of tomorrow in order to continue and get 85.
Oh.  I had no idea so much hung in the balance.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Noah John wrote
Wait a minute.  These guys drove down to WV, through a hurricane, to flop around in a foot or so of wet glop that fell on unfrozen ground?  Holy shit.
that core to da hard!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Noah John wrote
that is seriously hard core and pretty crazy too
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Hold on... 84 months is 7 years!  How the heck does he do that?  Does he go to South America for the summer every year?  Even doing that you have the October and May and June months to work around every year.

We need to elect this guy King of the ski world.

Harv we need a we are not worthy emoticon for guys like Mad Pat
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
This one missed us here in CNY....little rain and strong winds but nothing we're not used to.
Thought we were lucky down here near the border too Camp, found out an 8yr old boy was killed by a falling branch about ten miles down the road in PA, sad. I was preparing to be flooded for the second year in a row a few days ago, so glad that didn't happen. My Sis is in Manhattan, haven't heard from her today. I was texting her last night till she lost power around 8pm, thought it was wise for her to conserve her phone's battery at that point.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
I think Snowshoe is on their radar.
According to discussion on TGR (see "Mid-Atlantic Rollcall" on Ski/Snowboard page), they will be better off going to places like Timberline or Canaan Valley. More steeper, sustained vert for successful glop turns, combined with a more liberal skinning policy. Plus possibly more snow. This was posted on the Whitegrass website today:

Bob Leffler wrote
This is a preliminary assessment of the current snowstorm in the Canaan Valley WV area.Power and phone service is out in much of the WV high country and official snowfall observations are sketchy at best. Therefore, I have made some calls to folks up there to obtain their observations. I talked with Chip Chase, owner of the White Grass Cross Country Ski Center in Canaan Valley. Chip is a very astute weather observer. Based on his conversations and pictures and my knowledge of the local mountain climatology, my best estimate for snowfall for the last 24-hours ending 7 am Tuesday morning is as follows:

3,000 to 4,000 feet elevation: 26 to 30 inches snowfall; depth about 24 to 28 inches
4,000 to 4,900 feet elevation: 30 to 34 inches snowfall; depth about 28 to 32 inches

If validated with official data, both WV state October all-time snowfall and snow depth records will be totally smashed and the storm in the high country is still not over. Another foot or so of new snow is possible in the next 2 days in favored higher elevation westward facing slopes above 3,000 feet due to wrap-around moisture combined with upslope orographic lift . Hopefully more data will start flowing in later today. I will provide updates when more information are available.
Whitegrass looks like a totally cool place to BC ski, though may not have the steeps to satisfy Matt & Pat (can we call them MattPat?). Has SBR, TD and Harv written all over it. It is on only 2.5 hours from my MIL's house in PA, where we are headed for Christmas. Hmmmm.

Pinhead ecstasy at Whitegrass in the new snow:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by Z
Dude, you ever hear of Mt. Shasta, Hood or Ranier?  It's a plane ticket to SEA-TAC and a rental car. Obsessive-compulsives do it all the time.  

I lived in a Seattle for a few months (Sept - Dec) and still never bothered to go ski ranier although you can see it from downtown.  I can't imagine getting on a plane to go do that but, to each their own.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Hold on... 84 months is 7 years!  How the heck does he do that?  Does he go to South America for the summer every year?  Even doing that you have the October and May and June months to work around every year.

We need to elect this guy King of the ski world.

Harv we need a we are not worthy emoticon for guys like Mad Pat

MadPat hits Tucks in June and July, usually skis in Chile or South America to span August and September.

October is always the crap shoot.

Here's a video from Wildcat where he talks a little about the start of the streak. (It's a bit of a promo but hey we were guests and most of what we said was true!) MadPat's wrap about the streak is at around 1:30 in the vid. MattChuck is also in there:

Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
According to discussion on TGR (see "Mid-Atlantic Rollcall" on Ski/Snowboard page), they will be better off going to places like Timberline or Canaan Valley. More steeper, sustained vert for successful glop turns, combined with a more liberal skinning policy. Plus possibly more snow. This was posted on the Whitegrass website today:
Right, that's why I thought they would be heading to Tline or Canaan.
Plus it's an extra 75 miles to Snowshoe, all through mountainous terrain which was pretty heavily affected by the storm. If they're taking 88 to Binghamton and then taking 81 South, they're really not going to get to areas that got snow until ~ the PA/WV border. EDIT I looked into this a bit, and apparently 81 brings them through pretty much the ONLY snow in PA.
1 ... 345678