Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The latest Orda Screwup

Ethan Snow
Benny Profane wrote
Ethan Snow wrote
Darkside Shaman wrote
 Which means that Echo will be closed al weekend, so all of those that want to ski BRQ, be prepared to skate, and that will be sooo much fun on Sunday with over 2' of fresh
Holy shit. You guys are complaining about a lift not being open on a huge mountain where there are multiple other good trail networks to ski, meanwhile we are supposedly getting 2' of fresh, and that's gonna put a damper on your fun this weekend?

If we get 2' of fresh Im sure they will have the traverse groomed flat, and i'm willing to bet you can ski the glades over there as well, if we really do get all this snow. If not, I'm sure all the snow will provide very fun conditions on the rest of the mountain.

Z,

Regarding the pipes, I doubt the pipes on Echo need to be replaced. That pipe is fairly new. It's shitty welding that causes breaks in pipes. I wonder if ORDA hires Union pipe fitters to do their welding, or if they pay Jack, who claims to have welding skills, and makes snow during the winter, 15 bucks an hour to weld over the summer?

Pipe welding is no joke. If it's not done perfect, corrosion can develop very quickly in the joints, and fail. To be a pipeliner, you have to pass some very intensive AWS welding tests that ultimately get X-rayed and graded. Something like 1 out of 10 people can pass this test. A buddy of mine spend 3 years trying to get his AWS cert.
I'll bet you twenty bucks that, after most of that snow falls Sunday, that a lot of it wont be accessible on Monday because, well, it will be Monday, but, they'll be having a blast over at Killington on Monday.
Not sure what Killington has anything to do with this thread. If I ski Monday it will be Platty or Gore.
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
Well, I'm glad you're not stressy about it. I guess I just like things to be done proper. A big wet spot in the middle of s ski slope doesn't look good, and presents dangers. when I go skiing, I want to see snow, not mud. It just looks better when everything is white. One look at the ground and I am reminded that there is in fact dirt down there somewhere, and it kinda kills my vibe. As Laszlo would say: " it's all about perception. If people gave a good perception they will come back."
Ok once again young grasshopper, if you're looking to be the new Sno Choad, you're right on track. This joint is run by ORDA, and as the thread reads, these are the issues that we deal with. And ORDA does not care not care what you think as Mgmt at ORDA are only advanced on how well and how much they save money...see the CEO MP
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

LostCosmonaut
Well, we aren't the only people noticing that ORDA is not the most well run institution; http://www.skibum.net/2019/01/14/winter-reboots-new-york-state-of-mind/
Reply | Threaded
|

trackbiker
LostCosmonaut wrote
Well, we aren't the only people noticing that ORDA is not the most well run institution; http://www.skibum.net/2019/01/14/winter-reboots-new-york-state-of-mind/
I know the author and skied with him at Titus and Gore last weekend. We have a group that regularly stays at a friends place in Schroon Lake and ski mostly Gore and sometimes Whiteface. Most of us bought 4-Passes this year. While not season pass holders, the 4-Passes, and other single ticket buys add up over a season. Based on the performance of management at Gore this season I don't think any of us will buying passes for Gore next season. Will likely switch back to skiing more in VT.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
Ok once again young grasshopper, if you're looking to be the new Sno Choad, you're right on track. This joint is run by ORDA, and as the thread reads, these are the issues that we deal with. And ORDA does not care not care what you think as Mgmt at ORDA are only advanced on how well and how much they save money...see the CEO MP
No, I am not trying to be the new "Sno Choad". Nothing against Sno whatsoever, but I really can't believe you're even comparing me to him. We have our similarities, but we also are lot different. This started when I mentioned dumping stone on top of wet spots on ski slopes. I was offering a very practical and inexpensive solution to improve snow quality. Not just complaining about it.

For the record, when I offer practical solutions to operations related issues, I am actually taking the approach of "if I had to fix this myself, with my own set of hands, and tools, how would I do it?

I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This isn’t a screw up, per se, but I do find the WF conditions reporting interesting, and a bit specious.

As stated at the top, they are “enjoying mid-winter conditions with back to back storms and powder stashes in the woods.  Get ready to shred the slides, as snow is being made at Upper Skyward & Niagra now!”

Ummm...are those powder stashes in the woods over on Hoot Owl and Bobcat Glades at Bear Den?  No other glades are open.  Maybe WF has some new boundary to boundary policy I don’t know about?

Then there’s the “get ready to shred the slides”.  Why mention the word slides?  You know the Slides aren’t opening yet, or any time soon.  Are Skyward and Niagra (which they spelled wrong) now considered slides (with a little s)?

Really, are they trying to mislead people and piss them off, giving the impression that the woods and slides are in play?  Sure, the woods will likely open this weekend, but they give the impression that they are currently (legitimately) in play.

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Z
Why would anyone hold this thread against me?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
 "Get ready to shred the slides, as snow is being made at Upper Skyward & Niagra now!”

Then there’s the “get ready to shred the slides”.  Why mention the word slides?  You know the Slides aren’t opening yet, or any time soon.  
Oh come on now, some people take a long time to get ready to shred the slides, for some people it can take years of learning how to ski. Maybe they are marketing to the aspirations of those new to the sport...
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Hmmm.....the bits about “powder stashes in the woods” and getting ready to “shred the slides” are both gone from the WF conditions page.  
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
JTG4eva! wrote
 "Get ready to shred the slides, as snow is being made at Upper Skyward & Niagra now!”

Then there’s the “get ready to shred the slides”.  Why mention the word slides?  You know the Slides aren’t opening yet, or any time soon.  
Oh come on now, some people take a long time to get ready to shred the slides, for some people it can take years of learning how to ski. Maybe they are marketing to the aspirations of those new to the sport...
It's a bit ambitious to talk about Slides given that there's no guarantee they will open in any given year.....or in back-to-back years.  Good decision to remove that part from the report.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
JTG4eva! wrote
Hmmm.....the bits about “powder stashes in the woods” and getting ready to “shred the slides” are both gone from the WF conditions page.  
The whole thing is pretty funny IMO. Maybe an intern?

TGR has "do you have change for a nickel?"

NYSB could go with "I'm here to shred the slides!"
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote

NYSB could go with "I'm here to shred the slides!"
That is great!
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
JTG4eva! wrote
i appreciate the heads up. it takes us older guys some time to stretch before we ski. i will get some yoga in to.
will be ready
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Ethan Snow wrote
Benny Profane wrote
Ethan Snow wrote
Darkside Shaman wrote
 Which means that Echo will be closed al weekend, so all of those that want to ski BRQ, be prepared to skate, and that will be sooo much fun on Sunday with over 2' of fresh
Holy shit. You guys are complaining about a lift not being open on a huge mountain where there are multiple other good trail networks to ski, meanwhile we are supposedly getting 2' of fresh, and that's gonna put a damper on your fun this weekend?

If we get 2' of fresh Im sure they will have the traverse groomed flat, and i'm willing to bet you can ski the glades over there as well, if we really do get all this snow. If not, I'm sure all the snow will provide very fun conditions on the rest of the mountain.

Z,

Regarding the pipes, I doubt the pipes on Echo need to be replaced. That pipe is fairly new. It's shitty welding that causes breaks in pipes. I wonder if ORDA hires Union pipe fitters to do their welding, or if they pay Jack, who claims to have welding skills, and makes snow during the winter, 15 bucks an hour to weld over the summer?

Pipe welding is no joke. If it's not done perfect, corrosion can develop very quickly in the joints, and fail. To be a pipeliner, you have to pass some very intensive AWS welding tests that ultimately get X-rayed and graded. Something like 1 out of 10 people can pass this test. A buddy of mine spend 3 years trying to get his AWS cert.
I'll bet you twenty bucks that, after most of that snow falls Sunday, that a lot of it wont be accessible on Monday because, well, it will be Monday, but, they'll be having a blast over at Killington on Monday.
Not sure what Killington has anything to do with this thread. If I ski Monday it will be Platty or Gore.
Because my point is, Killington will have much more open on Monday, any Monday. They dont have a screw the midweek customer attitude, like Gore does. Read my previous post about a Monday last year. "We're understaffed." Duh. Hire some people then, damnit. I thought the whole point of these taxpayer funded areas was employment in low employment areas.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
A friend told me today that he asked an employee if he could start the fire in the fire pit on the deck. Said employee replied, "Not my job" and kept walking...

There are some things about hospitality & customer service that ORDA just doesn't understand or won't understand.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Make it yourself.  I’ve never met a fire pit I couldn’t get going.  

Heck, WDW over the summer, at the Polynesian resort, they’ve got a fire pit along the walkway down by the lagoon.  Prolly not intended for drunken guest use at 2am, but f’ that. Dried palm fronds burn quite well!  Of course the palm trees we were pulling them off of looked like shit in the am.

Moral of the story....you want a fire just do it yourself!
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
I hope you joined in on the fire juggling tiki show!

My point above was more about customer service, employee attitude and perception. That guy without a season pass is just as happy to go to VT and probably will from now on.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
I am still grilling at mid
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Glad to hear it, because we know you like two things:  You like skiing, and you like grilling!

My boys loved that line....
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
YC....I knew what you were getting at, and it doesn’t take much effort to make a big difference is someone’s day.  Too many people in service industries just don’t realize that anymore.  Can’t believe the person he asked couldn’t even be bothered to go tell his manager, who should have handled the simple request.

Service like that begets the need to take matters into your own hands!
1 ... 3456789 ... 22