classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
428 messages Options
1 ... 567891011 ... 22
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The latest Orda Screwup

PeeTex
Thank for posting the article. This really does show just how wasteful ORDA is or maybe that the Olympic venues are money pits and they should either get more outside support to keep them up or scrap them and let Park City be the training ground. Also - how many large ski resorts are sustainable without at least an onsite Hotel or Condos. They need to push through a new Management plan that has these items in it. Heck - even the National Park service has onsite Hotels in the big parks.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Carv-R
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Shaman, indeed there is a high probability that much of this 80 million will be squandered. So speaking as the generic New York taxpayer, one should be concerned. But speaking as an Adirondack resident, I'm not so concerned. Better they should squander it here than squander it somewhere else...
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
and, at this moment, 10:10am on the Sunday morning of a monster storm, the webcams at Gore and WF will not load.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Carv-R
Carv-R wrote
Shaman, indeed there is a high probability that much of this 80 million will be squandered. So speaking as the generic New York taxpayer, one should be concerned. But speaking as an Adirondack resident, I'm not so concerned. Better they should squander it here than squander it somewhere else...
Like maybe a subway system that works for the people that are funding this boondoggle.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by x10003q
x10003q wrote
and, at this moment, 10:10am on the Sunday morning of a monster storm, the webcams at Gore and WF will not load.
Wait. They finally have webcams? Whoa. Baby steps. Maybe in ten years they'll have RIFD lift gates.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Carv-R
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex,
Ski-in, ski-out condos would be a natural, and would probably turn the ski areas from money pits to profit centers, but Article 14 of the New York State Constitution, which basically established the Adirondack Park, forbids it and most development within the Adirondack Park.
The establishment, decades ago, of the 3 NYS ski areas required a major modification of Article 14, and the prospect of the ski industry winning another tug of war with the preservationists, would entertain & enrich lawyers for decades to come !
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Preserve_(New_York)
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
And I, for one, would never really consider skiing at Gore again, because the lack of development at the base and close is what makes the place attractive. Less crowds, better scenery.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Same with WF.   Lack of a base is a good thing at both.  
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Carv-R
Carv-R wrote
PeeTex,
Ski-in, ski-out condos would be a natural, and would probably turn the ski areas from money pits to profit centers, but Article 14 of the New York State Constitution, which basically established the Adirondack Park, forbids it and most development within the Adirondack Park.
The establishment, decades ago, of the 3 NYS ski areas required a major modification of Article 14, and the prospect of the ski industry winning another tug of war with the preservationists, would entertain & enrich lawyers for decades to come !
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Preserve_(New_York)
Gore has an approved development at the base of the Ski Bowl area at Gore. It was approved in 2008. They have only built a few townhouses so far.

"At full build-out it will include major hotels, condominiums, 136 townhouse units, single family homes and amenities. It is the only ski on / ski off location available at Gore Mountain.  "
https://frontstreetpartners.com/real-estate-ski-bowl-village/
Reply | Threaded
|

Bandit
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Some base area development doesn’t have to be a bad thing, I think you could do a low key sort of thing that doesn’t interfere with the natural landscape and beauty of the area. On the other hand, a place like Okemo or tellurides mountain village has gone way too far imo. I’m not into skiing through suburbs or gated communities. Everything about that feels wrong to me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
raisingarizona wrote
Some base area development doesn’t have to be a bad thing, I think you could do a low key sort of thing that doesn’t interfere with the natural landscape and beauty of the area. On the other hand, a place like Okemo or tellurides mountain village has gone way too far imo. I’m not into skiing through suburbs or gated communities. Everything about that feels wrong to me.
That's like being a little pregnant.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
perfectly aware of the ski bowl/front street development attempt, as I understand it not a single one sold, the developer ended up buying them. These are hardly ski in/out. I am also very aware of the UMP for Gore and all the protections for the park but God did not create these rules - they are just on a piece of paper and can change.

You can bitch about how poorly run these venues are but you get this with a Government run venture. I won't tell you what I think is wrong with this whole mess as Harv would be forced to move it but let's just say it's pure politics and graft.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
I ordered the Adirondack salad with the grilled chicken today. It came with cut up chicken nuggets. Wtf? I want answers!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Johnnyonthespot wrote
I ordered the Adirondack salad with the grilled chicken today. It came with cut up chicken nuggets. Wtf? I want answers!
Chicken nuggets! What an outrage.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
The drastic lack of trail maintenance at Gore first showed with the abomination called Uncas early on, and is now showing in the glades with whole trees and large branches completely blocking lines. But hey we got bigger bar, priorities...
Just be careful in the glades as there are so many lurkers
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Darkside Shaman wrote
The drastic lack of trail maintenance at Gore first showed with the abomination called Uncas early on, and is now showing in the glades with whole trees and large branches completely blocking lines. But hey we got bigger bar, priorities...
That's disappointing.

Last week when no lifts were running at 930, a patroller was working the line at AE2 trying to keep the crowd calm. Someone asked him about Uncas and he actually said "when they have major projects (he meant the bar), they take people off trail work." I couldn't believe it. Another patroller told us that the new snowmaking wasn't fully operational as of December 19. So they don't get summer projects done on time, don't prioritize trail maintenance, and don't train employees for message discipline. They don't even keep the "days until fishing season" sign up to date. What are they working on?

On the plus side, the lifties are friendly and always bump the chairs.

mm

"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Milo Maltbie wrote
Darkside Shaman wrote
That's disappointing.

Last week when no lifts were running at 930, a patroller was working the line at AE2 trying to keep the crowd calm. Someone asked him about Uncas and he actually said "when they have major projects (he meant the bar), they take people off trail work." I couldn't believe it. Another patroller told us that the new snowmaking wasn't fully operational as of December 19. So they don't get summer projects done on time, don't prioritize trail maintenance, and don't train employees for message discipline. They don't even keep the "days until fishing season" sign up to date. What are they working on?

On the plus side, the lifties are friendly and always bump the chairs.

mm
They even wipe off obscene artwork on the frosted gondola windows.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

green light
mm, 70 days till trout season. It’s correct every Saturday.
its a beautiful thing
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
WF didn’t brush hog Hoyt’s last yr when they were building the restaurant that they call a bar
Unforgivable
Parkway below the thruway split was not brush hogged when it needed it this summer which is probably why it was sort of roped yesterday
It had the suggestion rope not all the way across until lunchtime then it went all the way later

Yesterday was great so it’s hard to bitch but is it too much to expect that they plow the parking lots before 7:30
River was unplowed
They were just starting on Wilmington lot when I got there
This is the attention to details that Orda is now infamous for
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
1 ... 567891011 ... 22