classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
307 messages Options
1 ... 6789101112 ... 16
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

tjf1967
 Only thing that could stop them from opening is wind.   The lookout chair never has lines..that will change over time.  You do the trifecta Hoyts/lob/Willy in a row and give us your thoughts.   Hoyts may be a bear this weekend.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yo TJ, #14 had a blast skiing with you guys----thanks for showing him around.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by endoftheline
Man oh man, arguably one of, if not the best trail on Whiteface finally has the snow making and some people still have complaints. We had 2 major thaws in Jan. and management still made snow on Hoyt’s and LOB and then went back and made snow on Skyward. Any of you guys who should know, notice how late into the snowmaking season management has gone this year?

There is a very good reason why grooming can’t take place on Hoyt’s this season. It is being worked out, but it can’t this year.

I get that most of you guys are just laying out constructive criticism because you care, but how about being a little grateful for the effort and enjoying what we do have this season. I am thrilled with Hoyt’s, it makes a great mountain even greater.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
The lookout chair never has lines..that will change over time.  
That amazes me too. No matter how big the crowd, you can still ski right on that chair.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
What I got on Hoyt's was that it is a tactical decision and it will be groomed when time is right.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
He busted a pole early on upper mac.  We were about to cut through the woods to ge to lookout.  He took off to get new poles and we never hooked up again.  He is a ripper and we were just getting warmend up.  March!!
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
HPdrifter. I wasn't complaining, just offering my take on the conditions and reporting what I'd heard about potential grooming on Hoyts. Basically echoing Coaches comments.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Crap, didn't know that, dang. Only 2 weeks and we'll be up!!!! We're looking forward to it. Fingers crossed for good snow!!!! We'll have a good time no matter what, good snow will be bonus. Time to school that Scotty Jack character at the fooze.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
tjf1967 wrote
Sunday LOB was tough in the morning.  It got a little better after it sat in the sun all afternoon.  
As the only black West facing run at Whiteface it always will be better in the afternoon.  The earliest I would ski it is lunch time.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Crap, didn't know that, dang. Only 2 weeks and we'll be up!!!! We're looking forward to it. Fingers crossed for good snow!!!! We'll have a good time no matter what, good snow will be bonus. Time to school that Scotty Jack character at the fooze.
No more foozball in the bar this year.  Air Hockey and pool is it.  My kid is bummed by that.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
looks like our $35 gp pass discounts are non-holiday only this year, anyone got a line on some cheap tix? looking for 2 each sat & sun - me and junior are headed up!
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
Anyone know if they might blow snow on Northway?  They did last year.  Also, dare I dream, Upper Cloud?  its been done before.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Grillman wrote
Anyone know if they might blow snow on Northway?  They did last year.  Also, dare I dream, Upper Cloud?  its been done before.
I'd guess 10% shot of Northway and 0 on Upper Cloud.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
Its been done before, but I dont think since lookout opened.  They will not blow snow on it this year.  It skis best with all natural anyway, whihc we will be getting boatloads of in march.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Anyone know the reason they don't blow Upper Northway early on? It has a great pitch and the exposure holds snow late in the season. Not that much acreage to cover, wouldn't take more than a day or so under right weather conditions. Could it be the Upper Deathway reputation?
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
I know for a fact that both trails have had snow made on them since look out opened.   They made snow on Northway last year and it tends to hold the snow later in the season.   Snow was made on Cloudspin two years ago.

I argee with endoftheline, two days of guns could open up Northway....Frankly, three days of guns could do make the skiers right on Cloud skiable.

Reply | Threaded
|

Pants
I meant cloudspin.  I dont recall snow being made on it two years ago. Two years ago was the noah john shoulder incident on cloudspin.  I know there was a lot of snow, but remember it as being natural. Its nice to have a completely natural trail..its been good a few times this year..from the cuts.

Anyway, I dont think northway is a priority..not many go on it and yes, I am sure that deathway had an effect.  they used to always get it open quick, but there is something about that trail..
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Upper Northway can be great one day and then a night of high North winds and its a hockey rink.  The advantage of blowing it makes it easier to get into CS Glades plus the blow over makes the snow deeper in Victor's the closest glade in CS to Northway.

They took the problem tree on the right side out that kept taking people out for good.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
There is a very good reason why grooming can’t take place on Hoyt’s this season. It is being worked out, but it can’t this year.
My bad. We have very creative people at WF.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
yes HPD, yes we do....

For the most part, Deathway sucks.  APA, DEC and ORDA should amend the UMP and re-vegetate Deathway to extend Cloudsplitter Glades!  

Given it's aspect and propensity to get firm, its just not worth the resources, especially given all the awesomeness that is the Lookout POD!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
1 ... 6789101112 ... 16