classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
772 messages Options
1 ... 45678910 ... 39
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

snoloco
I have Stratton telling me that they are starting snowmaking Thursday night. Since Whiteface is further north, maybe they'll be starting too.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
^no that little dude is pumped, snoloco es espanol for stokestomper
Yes he is pumped. Don't you think Sno would be as well. But then he would bitch because he can't get there
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Starting next Friday, it looks like all nights until 11/19 are good for snowmaking on the accuweather long range.  Is that enough for an opening?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
It depends. You can't predict the weather- or the decision making process of a mountain manager.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
If it looks like those temps are marginal, but still better than the ones in the following week, that could mean an opening.  If the temps that week look marginal, but the ones the week leading up to Thanksgiving look optimal, then they probably wouldn't blow any snow and wait for the better temps.  That would mean less money spent on snowmaking that melted during the day, but I'd be getting the shaft because the trails will be brown on the 19th 20th.

It wouldn't be the end of the world of WF didn't open the 19th 20th, because I plan on skiing Gore during Thanksgiving Weekend on my way back up to Potsdam, so I would still get to ski Thanksgiving weekend.  However, after experiencing Gore's opening weekend last year (which was about the most pitiful excuse of a WROD that I ever saw, with rocks and mud everywhere), I'd be skeptical of going back there if WF (with more favorable temps) couldn't open till then.  If Belleayre opens on Black Friday, I could also see my dad and I possibly going there.  If that happens, then it's likely that WF and Gore both opened the week before, and would be past WROD status.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by snoloco
Guns deployed up excelsior...  it was cold and snowing above mid today.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
ScottyJack wrote
Guns deployed up excelsior...  it was cold and snowing above mid today.
They started blowing snow!?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
This post was updated on .
petit homme -  it's gonna be 60 tomorrow!!  

Saturday in the Park you wouldn't think its the 4th of July...   
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This year is already shaping up to be like last year.  Not good at all.  They might not open till December at this rate.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
snoloco wrote
This year is already shaping up to be like last year.  Not good at all.  They might not open till December at this rate.
You need to acquire patience, grasshopper. A good thanksgiving followed by a brown christmas doesn't make a great season, that is for sure. And despite your 100% pods open by xmas, even xmas is still very early.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I can dig it, yes I can.

Listen children, all is not lost, all is not lost, oh no, no.

Patience grasshopper....I never count on quality turns at WF until January.  Not that they might not happen sooner, but for now you have to.....

Cool the engines!  I'm no fool, I'm gonna keep it cool and take it day by day.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
traditionally Dec is filled w/ quality turns on our beloved!  obvi not last season.  I had a string of like 10 years in a row getting pow poach turns on upper cloudspin until last season.....  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
I can dig it, yes I can.

Listen children, all is not lost, all is not lost, oh no, no.

Patience grasshopper....I never count on quality turns at WF until January.  Not that they might not happen sooner, but for now you have to.....

Cool the engines!  I'm no fool, I'm gonna keep it cool and take it day by day.
What are those songs?
Chicago - Another Saturday in the Park
Boston - Cool the Engines
Don't know about the middle one.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
First two lines in my post are both from Saturday In The Park....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
They finally fixed the webcam at midstation and it looks like they got a good start on Valley, considering one night of subpar temps.
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
temps look like they will fall next week and there will be some skiing over turkey weekend....
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Warm weather and r*in washed almost all the snow they made last week back into the river.

Looks like 60 hours of straight snowmaking early next week, and nights after that.  Should be good for Thursday/Friday.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Plus some substantial snow from Ma Nature
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
northerncajun asked about Whiteface in the Killington thread, so I'm answering it here.

Whiteface usually opens with Excelsior-Valley-Fox off the gondola.  That's about a 2500 vertical run and about 2.5 miles.

They may also open the Facelift to give lower level skiers a way to avoid Excelsior (which is a pretty hard blue).

After Excelsior-Valley-Fox, they typically open Essex-Lower Northway, Broadway-Brookside (without park features), or Victoria.  One of those may open by next Saturday if they get the main route done quick.

I definitely recommend going to Whiteface over Killington next weekend.  Avoid the World Cup madness on top of the usual crowds.  Whiteface is never crowded on opening weekend.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I would do the exact opposite and go to K.  They have more terrain open and the vibe is going to be super fun.  
1 ... 45678910 ... 39