classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
772 messages Options
1 ... 16171819202122 ... 39
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

D.B. Cooper
lakeplacid.com should have it.  The shuttle is running.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by nixamator_ab_urbis
nixamator_ab_urbis wrote
Does anyone know if the shuttle bus between Lake Placid and Whiteface is up and running for the season (and if so, where to get the schedule/info)?  The links on the Whiteface website and various other sites seem to be dead or outdated.

http://www.co.essex.ny.us/downloads/mountainvalleyshuttlewinter2016.pdf

OR

http://www.whiteface.com/shuttle
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
From the Facebook page:

"Snowmaking crew is setting up on the Summit"

I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Quick conditions update from the car heading home:Skied last two days, Monday very cold but nice and sunny. Stiff and fast, although better than expected with the r*in on Sunday. Today, much better than Monday since they had a chance to blow and recover a bit. Approach to Mt. Run opened back up, approach ungroomed.Blowing snow throughout various parts of the mountain, and setting up on the summit.  Looks like they were working on the park as well.Good coverage, some natural snowfall will put things back into shape real quick.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

nixamator_ab_urbis
Thanks for forwarding (could have sworn that link was dead last time I checked...)

I did see that table in one of the older links before, but am slightly confused since it only seems to run in one direction (Whiteface to LP)... if trying to get from LP to WF, does it go in a circle after you get to the last stop listed in LP?  

For example, 5th column has it leaving WF at 9:30 am, making its way to Art Devlin's by 10:18 am.  Does it then continue on from Art Devlin's back to WF by 10:35 am?   A few rows lower in the same column, it says a bus leaves from WF to Wilmington at 10:35 am, but not 100% clear it is the same bus.  Also, in the next (6th) column, there's a bus leaving from WF back to LP at 10:30 am -- either way, from google maps, it seems like that would have to be a very fast drive to cover that distance in 12 or 17 minutes.  

If that's not how the map is supposed to be read, then it doesn't seem to say how to get from LP to WF (unless the 2nd page is missing or something).  Am I missing something here?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Me thinks you are over thinking things

My bet would be at one of dem dare stops when U R spodda B and all will be good bro
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I just looked at what's coming toward Placid for weather.  Anyone that comes up, now until the end of next week is looking like  really nice weather.  The Mountain is going to be skiing great and it is going to warm up enough to walk around Placid without freezing your ass off.  The town should be popping with this weather. Snowing right now and its around freezing.  Probably 2.5 so far.  Yehaw the other threads had me nervous.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Tjf, you'll realize that the two weather people on here (Jason and Noreaster) have been literally trolling everyone for the past month by making predictions of thaws and r*in, even if there's only a very small chance that one actually happens.

Whiteface has only had one major thaw this year and a storm with mixed precip that was a net gain for coverage.

These two must ski down south, because that's the only place where they're having weather similar to their gloom and doom scenarios.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I don't think they are doing it on purpose, some people have that personality. They have seen Lucy pull the football out from under Charlie Brown over and over.  They will be right sooner or later, although I hope not.
Reply | Threaded
|

nixamator_ab_urbis
Think the summit will be open by this weekend?  Looks like they are doing snowmaking and temperatures should cooperate.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Very likely to happen.  Been blowing snow up there since Tuesday.  Lots of natural already there, so they got a head start.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Killington opens Skyeship Base tomorrow.  Whiteface has to open the summit to make sure that they still have the most skiable vertical in the east.  Judging by a photo I saw on Facebook today, I think it's a possibility that it opens.  Tons of snow up there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
These two must ski down south, because that's the only place where they're having weather similar to their gloom and doom scenarios.

I think that's it. They're looking at a larger area which includes the downstate. Frequently there's a dividing line between the two areas weather wise.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
What a difference a year makes ...

Christmas 2015 ...

Christmas 2016 ...

It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Did you notice if any snow was blown on Skyward?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
a lot of snow that was suppose to land on parron's made its way to Skyward.....

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Did they actually run guns on Skyward?  They were reporting it as snowmaking all last week.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
blew some on the headwall from riva ridge.  guns staged down sky yesterday.  

no brown spots on the snowmaking trails!   that made man stuff held up well to the blowtorch.  natural snow, not so much....    
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Nice!!  Sounds like WF is skiing well.  Will try and talk snodad into a trip, which will be pretty easy because it's his favorite mountain anywhere.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
snowing!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
1 ... 16171819202122 ... 39