Everything's a travesty with you, man!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Whiteface Conditions

PeeTex
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Figured that as an engineering student I had better do the math on WF's snowmaking instead of speculating and whining.  They're permitted to draw up to 6000 gpm.  If they're running max water, that's 54 acre feet/day.  Earlier I read that they only do 30 acre feet/day, so they don't run at max water ever.  That means air is the limiting factor.  If air capacity is increased, they can run more guns and open quicker.
Pretty piss poor engineering. Just because they can draw water doesn't mean they can pump it up the hill.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
I know PeeTex is good with a white Russian.
Must be getting a little butt hurt to try to drag the arguments over here.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
snoloco wrote
Figured that as an engineering student I had better do the math on WF's snowmaking instead of speculating and whining.  They're permitted to draw up to 6000 gpm.  If they're running max water, that's 54 acre feet/day.  Earlier I read that they only do 30 acre feet/day, so they don't run at max water ever.  That means air is the limiting factor.  If air capacity is increased, they can run more guns and open quicker.
Pretty piss poor engineering. Just because they can draw water doesn't mean they can pump it up the hill.
Good point.
Sno, you also can't just say they don't have the air capacity to utilize all the water they're allowed to use. The air/water ratio changes a great deal based on temps. At really cold temps they might have "too much" air.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
ml242 wrote
The real question is whether Lebowski is the best Coen bros. Everything is pretty good with Lebowski though. It's basically flawless. Like Julianne Moore's weird art character, Turturro, they all nail it.
I don't know boys, these are tough questions. I'm going to have to do some research and think about this.

My Internet name was inspired by one. A photog buddy visited during the winter of 2005 when we got slammed and the Rockies were having a drought season. He put together an article for Backcountry Magazine and titled it Raising Arizona which he nabbed from the movie. I don't remember why but after that I used it for my internet name.

Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Holy crap. I completely forgot that was a Coen bros movie. In college I shared an apartment with a guy who was completely obsessed with that movie, RA. We must of watched if a hundred times. He pretty much convinced me it is cinematic perfection except that when John Goodman tunnels out of prison you can see the foam cutouts around his body when he bursts out of the mud. I hate to say it but Raising Arizona is more perfect then The Big Lebowski. A lot of their other movies I can take em or leave em. I never thought Fargo was the masterpiece everybody made it out to be.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Brownski

PeeTex wrote
snoloco wrote
PeeTex, you're a moronic curmudgeon.

All I was saying is that if they're pumping 6000 gpm, they can cover 54 acre feet/day.  Since they can only do 30, they obviously do not have the pumping capacity to draw the maximum that they're permitted to.  Therefore, the highest worthwhile pumping capacity would be 6000 gpm.  Also, the theoretical maximum are capacity would be whatever was needed to run max water at wet bulb 28, the highest that snow can be made in.  Realistically, that would be a big waste of money as much of the time, you're running below that temperature and wouldn't need all the air.  I think that having enough air to run max water at wet bulb 22 or below would be about right.  If the wet bulb is below that, then you don't run all the compressors and save electricity.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
ml242 wrote
Everything's a travesty with you, man!
I don't know. Not long ago Loco got chewed out by Witch for polluting a conditions thread even though it was pre-season.

Sooooooooo.......  
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Oh ! And now he's calling Peetex a moron. You probably like that ML.

Sooooooo........
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Brownski
Raising Arizona was good and I really enjoyed Fargo too but The Big Lebowski for me is the classic one. Out of curiosity I looked up their  movie list and there are a few more that I've seen but a bunch I haven't.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
The Big Lebowski

it's the shit
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
PeeTex, you're a moronic curmudgeon.

All I was saying is that if they're pumping 6000 gpm, they can cover 54 acre feet/day.  Since they can only do 30, they obviously do not have the pumping capacity to draw the maximum that they're permitted to.  Therefore, the highest worthwhile pumping capacity would be 6000 gpm.
I'm going to use that.....although I prefer curmudgeony moron.

Sno, "obviously do not have the pumping capacity?"  Is this fact?
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
So many great quotes.

Maude: "What do you do for recreation?"

The Dude: "Oh the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback."

Most are much longer so instead of writing em down....."Fuck it Dude, let's go bowling."
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
WTF

This is a conditions thread not a movie discussion or the engineering of snow making.

And Sno back in page 29 you said if it rains now they are not going to blow Hoyt's.  You need to chillax.  It rains every season at WF.  Even in good snow years we still have 5+ rain events.  It's the norm.  According  to the forecast I'm seeing there are two wet days Xmas week with temps in the high 30's at the base.  That is not going to kill us.

It does appear they gave up on the plan to blow the summit and moved on to Boreen which is really important to get a second route to the bottom and connect to KK
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
They're all classic:

The Dude: God damn you Walter! You fuckin' asshole! Everything's a fuckin' travesty with you, man! And what was all that shit about Vietnam? What the FUCK, has anything got to do with Vietnam? What the fuck are you talking about?

Walter Sobchak: Am I wrong?
The Dude: No you're not wrong.
Walter Sobchak: Am I wrong?
The Dude: You're not wrong Walter. You're just an asshole.
Walter Sobchak: Okay then.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Walter was probably my most favorite character. I freaking love Goodman.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In a desperate attempt to "really tie the room together" in regards to this nonsense I tried to come up with a joke about 17 year old virgins and pumping capacity but sadly came up empty handed.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Where that movie is genius is the fact it will never be an old movie. It's always relevant, meaning watch Sno hit the roof because of this thread drift
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
raisingarizona wrote
In a desperate attempt to "really tie the room together" in regards to this nonsense I tried to come up with a joke about 17 year old virgins and pumping capacity but sadly came up empty handed.
That was great man!!!  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Or it could be Coach
1 ... 13141516171819 ... 39